Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

PUBLIC HOUSE NAMES OF THE GREAT WAR

Doing some other work on London and the Empire-  I have a pub near me in Ilford called the "General Havelock" after the Indian Mutiny man (ironic given the very heavy South Asian presence in the area) and there is a Sir Colin Campbell pub somewhere in North London.  I recollect years ago that a pub opened in Cornwall called The Paardeberg-after the action of the Boer war in 1900 which led to the surrender of Piet Cronje and in which the DCLI were involved. And of course, the numerous pubs called "The Marquess of Granby".

But,seriously, folks-what pubs are out there named after personalities and events of the Great War? There appear to be several for Lord Kitchener and Lord Roberts. An Old Contemptibles in Birmingham and the odd pub named after a VC winner.  How many are out there?

Without suggesting that toping is prevalent among my GWF colleagues, how can I put this politely-I suspect that there is a considerable, ahem, "expertise" as to the hostelries of the United Kingdom out there. Come on folks, spill the knowledge.

Neath has just seen the opening of the 'Allan Leonard Lewis VC' pub (formerly the Conservative Club - Neath ran out of Conservatives...)

Bernard

IMG_20170921_163246417.jpg

Thank you Bernard- A good start for what I suspect will be a fruitful  topic.  Good to know that at least Neath has not run out of Teetotallers

Edited by Guest

Hic!

Brndera...

Well, of course, we have here in Brum the world famous Old Contemptibles.

Well known watering hole to many on this forum.the-old-contemptibles-pub-in-edmund-street-in-birmingham-england-B0EJB2.jpg.3fcc0487aefe5431a06b9854e5fb9827.jpg

Edited by neverforget

The Wilfred Wood, Hazel Grove, Cheshire

Named after the V.C. winner 

40906731.jpg.285fef35bfd25f0827861ebb41fbd06a.jpg

The Rifleman named after WW1 'Battle of Loos' hero, Frank Edwards - Twickenham.

the-rifleman-traditional-english-pub-named-after-ww1-battle-of-loos-E5HP59.jpg.4b2f7573821c93b11ab17cdd49ed3ff6.jpg

think so /opp raf stanmore it may have change its name but reverted back

some military connection , but what?

A number of pubs share this name. It's a reference to a play, first performed in 1609, by Ben Jonson, a contemporary of Shakespeare's.

12 minutes ago, SiegeGunner said:

The Sir Douglas Haig in Effingham, Surrey.

I believe there's a butcher's shop of the same name.

(Only joking) 👼

Near to me is a pub with strong military connections though not WW1 (apologies).

Firstly, opposite The gates of the old Ladysmith Barracks (Manchester Regt)is a pub named Heroes but was originally The Heroes of Waterloo.

Secondly, a pub which is now closed went by the name of "The Old Thirteenth Cheshire Astley Volunteer Riflemans Corps Inn". Not sure of which era it relates to but suspect pre WW1. It was named as the pub with the longest name by Guinness Book of Records

simon

Not specifically WW1 but I hope the RMA Tavern is still with us, opposite the gates to the old Royal Marine Artillery barracks in Eastney (seems it was there last time the google streetview camera passed).  The Cumberland Arms a short distance away went some years back.

image.png