Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German Spring Offensive 1918 (Ypres Salient)

mikereme

That´s difficulty... Maybe section 1 or 2

Battalion commanders of RIR 13:

I. Bataillon: Hauptmann der Reserve Schultz

II. Bataillon: Hauptmann Görtz

III. Bataillon: Hauptmann der Landwehr Friesland

Jan

Thanks a lot, Jan!

So, Oberleutnant v. Pfeffer just led the bataillon for that attack, but he was not the commander

Hauptmann Görtz was wounded at the start of the attack and the battalion (II) was then led by Leutnant der Reserve Leppelmann. Hauptmann Schultz was also wounded during the attack by mainly machine gun fire as were plenty of other officers (some killed), Oberleutnant von Pfeffer took over the battalion (I) during the morning.

The trenches north of Baumhof (or Bauerhof as it is called in the regimental history) were captured at 8.30 pm by III/RIR 13 under Hauptmann Friesland.

Jan

Interesting Jan!

I hope I' ll get the regimental history soon

Gentlemen...i will not have access to this forum until Friday 23..please still put up the posts and will reply on my return...once again thank you...

Hello, Could you tell me who was the commander of 28. Reserve-Infanterie-Brigade?

Of course...

1.1.1917-14.1.1919: Hans Alwin Karl Fricke (* 17.8.1861, + 3.12.1943)

12 hours ago, The Prussian said:

Of course...

1.1.1917-14.1.1919: Hans Alwin Karl Fricke (* 17.8.1861, + 3.12.1943)

Thank you...my research is coming together now...

On 10/09/2017 at 18:38, AOK4 said:

Hello,

I found him on the red Cross: https://grandeguerre.icrc.org/en/List/4407357/698/37850/

He died in a German hospital in Kortrijk after a lung wound.

Jan

Hello, i am looking at the Red Cross information given by AOK4.....this is great...but am stumped on the the word "ZUM BLACKTHEN"  is this the town on where he is from? its just that he was from Wrexham..and it be be a misspell or wrong interpretation by the red cross officer...he is 3rd from bottom...

C_G1_E_04_01_0190_0052.JPG.82b5c6b987d22bccb87a5ce7440d03e9.JPG

Hello!

"Zu" means "at" or "in".

Born in or at (I don' t know what'a right in english...).

I didn't find a Blackthen. Probably a misspell.

But he' s the 4th not the 3rd from bottom...

2 minutes ago, The Prussian said:

Hello!

"Zu" means "at" or "in".

Born in or at (I don' t know what'a right in english...).

I didn't find a Blackthen. Probably a misspell.

But he' s the 4th not the 3rd from bottom...

Hello,  sausage fingers strikes again....Yes....it might be a misspell...thank you...

Wrexham - Blackthen. Maybe the german officer, who probably didn´t speak english, wrote something that sounds similar...:rolleyes:

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,  We are in the final stages of putting everything together...I have just returned fro Ypres and have spoken to the land owner of Piccadilly Farm....he is very excited with are visit next year....I know my great uncle was reported missing on the 25 April 1918....I have been informed of this but cant remember where i got the information from...is there anyone that can provide me with this....any documents etc...

• 3 years later...
On 09/09/2017 at 18:56, AOK4 said:

Not in the South. The British withdrew from the Ypres Salient voluntarily, but were forced back in the Wytschaete Salient during the German offensive.

Jan

I have downloaded (like all of you I guess) the diaries of 9th Div, 8 BW, 7 & 9 SFHrs, Camoron Hrs, 156, 162, 62, 64, 9th etc etc (whatever what is available)... and during the First Kemmel attack (starting like the night April 15th-16th 3am) I get the overall impression (my main interest are the 1-2-4 SAI/9th Scottish) that when Messines was lost, there was indeed a "discrete, 500 yd" retreat (at terrible cost) within (at first) a triangle formed by Wulvergem-Messines-Wijtschaete. 24Hrs later more N and E-bound into a triangle-" or box" formed by Wijtschaete-Maedelstede-direction Polka-Vierstraat, under pressure of the Eastern - Northern directed sweep executed by the Germans. 

Sincerely,

Dirk

• 10 months later...

Hello Again Everyone,

It's been a while since we last had a chat...

Again am asking who gave artillery support fire for the 9th Scottish division during this battle 25th April 18?

Am assuming they would of had a designated battery/regiment... could this great forum help me

😀

Edited by mikereme
WORDS MISPELT