Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German Spring Offensive 1918 (Ypres Salient)

mikereme

Hello,

Picadilly Farm is on some German maps Baumhof (Tree Farm) on others Bauerhof.

Reserve-Infanterie-Regiment 13 was the regiment in the area Baumhof -St. Eloi on 25 April 1918.

Jan

Hello....Yes this is the regiment i have now been told...do you know who were the commanders?

2 hours ago, The Prussian said:

Here are the battles of the 13th Res.Div.

http://wiki-de.genealogy.net/13._Reserve-Division_(WK1)

In another book I read, that the german XXVIII.Res.Corps took St.Eloi at April 25, late evening and they took 3000 prisoners and 15 guns

My Great uncle was recorded missing 25 Apr 1918 (St Eloi)....i believed he was captured and he is buried in Kortrijk Military cemetery died of wounds in a german hospital...

Hello Jan!

You´re right. I didn´t wear my glasses. It really is Baumhof instead of Bauernhof... Now I know I will turn 50 in december...

Mike

13.Res.Div.: Major General v. Oertzen (16.4.1860-25.11.1922), I-a officer Captain Varnbüller

Res.Inf.Rgt.13: Lieutenant-Colonel Krome (23.8.1867-?)

1 minute ago, mikereme said:

My Great uncle was recorded missing 25 Apr 1918 (St Eloi)....i believed he was captured and he is buried in Kortrijk Military cemetery died of wounds in a german hospital...

It would help if you would give his name...

Just now, The Prussian said:

Hello Jan!

You´re right. I didn´t wear my glasses. It really is Baumhof instead of Bauernhof... Now I know I will turn 50 in december...

Mike

13.Res.Div.: Major General v. Oertzen (16.4.1860-25.11.1922), I-a officer Captain Varnbüller

Res.Inf.Rgt.13: Lieutenant-Colonel Krome (23.8.1867-?)

Jan/The Prussian,  Thank you the drinks are on me....I just metioned that my great uncle was recorded missing 25 Apr as he died of wounds Kortrijk..

1 minute ago, AOK4 said:

It would help if you would give his name...

36812 Pte Williams (Thomas, Samuel) A Coy 9th Bn The Machine Gun Corps

Hello Jan,  This is very interesting could translate....am not aware exactly what he died of....

1 minute ago, mikereme said:

Hello Jan,  This is very interesting could translate....am not aware exactly what he died of....

as I said infolge Lungenschuss (shot wound in the lung).

He was buried by the Germans on the German military cemetery of Kortrijk. After the war, the British war dead were exhumed and transferred (at least the ones they could find) to a separate plot on the Kortrijk cemetery.

Hello everyone

668854 Dvr Richard  Leach "K Battery Royal Horse  Artillery) died 24 March 1918....this is my wife's grandfather..he too was died during the spring offensive and buried in Rosies mil cemetery..i dont think he was captured but would appreciate if he died of wounds...

Here is still a page of a book by Arthur Conan Doyle (The british campaigns in France and Flanders) to April 25

59b501e94e1a1_Screenshot(133).png.be930c41f714a184b264dc54aae16fff.png

Thank you will certainly have a look....this confirms that st eloi did fall into german hands..but also confirms my theory that the second line held or was formed at la clytte and cheapside line...

A friend of mine found a map of Res.Fieldart.Rgt.13.

Enjoy it! You see the three trenches from 25th and 26th. Aroud St. Eloi were Res.Inf.Rgt.57 and Res.Inf.Rgt13. A little bit southwest war Res.Inf.Rgt.39.

I don´t know, from which direction the 9th bataillion MGC arrived

59b51ab74214a_KARTERFAR13-Kopie.jpg.964da05936d315a9afe7a246662db8d5.jpg

59b51ac1dead6_KARTERFAR13.jpg.4dd217e6a968c09fde3b708993fce3b7.jpg

This is great...I have battalion diary that his regt 24 Apr 1918...guns in location The Mound-Dome House-Hiele Farm-picadilly farm...I believe he was in Picadilly farm...as it states that not many survivors came from that location but they where surrounded....according to the map it appears that the Reserve Inf regt 13 was the unit that captured him...OMG..thank you

I don´t think so...

If Piccadilly Farm is the Baumhof in my other map, that area belonged to Res.Inf.Rgt.57. Note: The small tactical signs like 4/13 or 6/13 are the batteries of the artillery.

Here is a zoom of the southern part. The "Baumhof" (maybe Piccadilly farm") is close to southern exit of St. Eloi. So I´d say it was Res.Inf.Rgt.57.

But if the 9th bataillon MGC came from the southwest, it also could be RIR39.

59b51f7b180d3_1Res.Feldart_Rgt_13.jpg.e5d99c0a2306dd8a8333576dfe5b4129.jpg

Yes you maybe right there...the only thing is the 9th Bn where occupying positions of piccadilly farm etc...they were in defensive trenches (not advancing)..the german advance where (according to your map) were coming from south to north as follows-inf regt 39 (left) inf regt 57 (middle) inf regt 13 (right) .... 

Of course, you´re right! So I assume, it was RIR57.

My friend has the regimental history! I will ask him, if he could send me pages of that day!

I would agree Baumhof = Piccadilly Farm - see below for position relative to Quarante Wood/Bayern-Wald and the road/track layout with Anglicised names of locations.

59b539dcc5ae1_PiccadillyFarm.png.a59392dba77ad7a3fea6b0811337a902.png

I agree too!

Great work, Don! Now I´m waiting for the german regimebntal histoiry of RIR57.

By the way, here the bataillons history is for sale:

https://www.amazon.de/DIVISION-Divisional-Battalion-Highlanders-Ross-shire-ebook/dp/B019WRPQ5K/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1505055905&sr=8-2&keywords=9th+division+machine+gun#reader_B019WRPQ5K