Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Canadian Highland Battalions: Badges, Insignia, Dress

gordon92

It is my impression that an under-covered area in this sub-forum has been the badges, insignia, and dress distinctions of the Canadian Expeditionary Force Highland battalions.  Indeed, over the years members have posted images of CEF Highland soldiers asking for unit identifications, and much information in “dribs and drabs” has been published here in response.  Considerable general resources on the CEF are available at these excellent sites: CEFSG Matrix, canadiansoldiers.com, and British/Commonwealth Badge Forum.  However, nothing systematic can be pointed to (that I am aware of) to aid unit IDs of Canadian Highland soldiers from photos.  This thread is an attempt to backfill on this sparse coverage.

There were 8 Highland battalions that actually served with the Canadian Corps in France & Flanders: 13th Battalion (Royal Highlanders of Canada), 15th Battalion (48th Highlanders of Canada), 16th Battalion (Canadian Scottish), 42nd Battalion (Royal Highlanders of Canada), 43rd Battalion (Cameron Highlanders of Canada), 72nd Battalion (Seaforth Highlanders of Canada), 73rd Battalion (Royal Highlanders of Canada), and 85th Battalion (Nova Scotia Highlanders).  In the posts below I will concentrate on these battalions by describing and illustrating for each battalion the artifacts that can aid unit distinction: cap badge, collar badges, shoulder formation sign, and tartan used in the kilt.  I will do one or two a day over the next week.  Feedback on omissions, errors, or inaccuracies is, of course, welcome.

It is worth mentioning that infantry battalions of the CEF were not formally associated to the pre-War militia regiments.  Nonetheless, the initial contingents of these battalions were raised, in most cases, from men who had served in that locale’s militia regiment(s).  These are also indicated in the post for each Highland battalion.

Additionally, there were a number of Highland battalions raised that served only in the UK, and these were mostly absorbed or transformed into reserve battalions within a short time after arriving in England.  Those battalions were: 17th (Nova Scotia Highlanders), 92nd (48th Highlanders), 105th (Prince Edward Island Highlanders), 134th (48th Highlanders), 173rd (Canadian Highlanders), 174th (Cameron Highlanders of Canada), 179th (Cameron Highlanders of Canada), 185th (Cape Breton Highlanders), 193rd (Nova Scotia Highlanders), 194th (Edmonton Highlanders), 219th (Nova Scotia Highlanders), 231st (Seaforth Highlanders of Canada), 236th (New Brunswick Kilties), 246th (Nova Scotia Highlanders), and 253rd (Queen’s University Highland Battalion).  Finally, a sizeable number of CEF battalions who dressed as standard line infantry had pipe bands who wore Highland dress of one form or another; these battalions were: 19th, 21st, 25th, 26th, 29th, 35th, 46th, 50th, 63rd, 67th, 77th, 82nd, 96th, 102nd, 107th, 113th, 154th, 168th, 224th, 228th, 241st, and PPCLI.

Edited by gordon92
Coorect omission of 219th Battn (NS Hldrs)

13th Battalion CEF (Royal Highlanders of Canada)

Mobilized at: Camp Valcartier, Quebec

Key dates: began mobilization 1-9-1914; arrived in England 16-10-1914; arrived in France 16-2-1915; demobilized 20-4-1919

Raised from (primarily): 5th Regiment Royal Highlanders of Canada (Montreal); 78th Pictou Regiment (Truro, NS), 93rd Cumberland Regiment (Amherst, NS)

Cap badge:

13th cap badge.jpg

Notes on headdress: solid blue glengarry; red hackle worn in Tam O'Shanter from 16 November 1916.

Collar badge (from Ron Marsden, Black Watch Forum):                  

13th collar.jpg      

Shoulder formation sign (1st Division, 3rd Brigade, 13th Battn):

13_Bn_CEF%20formation_zpszyws8wqr.jpg

Tartans:

Government with knife pleats                    Royal Stuart (Pipers)

Govt%20tartan_zpskjucaf3v.jpg      Royal_stewart_zps7aeu2pt9.jpg

Shoulder title:

There were a number of variations on the RHC title including those with or without stops and some with serif lettering.

13CEF shoulder.jpg

ORs Dec 1917

13CEF Dec 1917.jpg

Officers undated

13CEF officers.jpg

Pipe Band undated

13th CEF Pipers WW1.jpg

Edited by gordon92

Thank you Mike, I agree that previous information has been very disjointed and your efforts in bringing some light and coherence to it will, I am sure, be most appreciated.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Thanks for this new thread.  I find the CEF thoroughly confusing!  e.g. battalions such as the 50th Gordon Highlanders of Canada, a highland, kilted unit which did not serve overseas as part of the CEF but which contributed men to other battalions of the CEF, including the 7th and 16th. 

15th Battalion CEF (48th Highlanders of Canada)

Key dates: began mobilization 2-9-1914; arrived in England 14-10-1914; arrived in France 14-2-1915; demobilized 10-5-1919

Raised from (primarily): 48th Regiment (Highlanders) (Toronto), 31st Grey Regiment (Owen Sound, ON), 97th Regiment "Algonquin Rifles" (Sault Ste. Marie, ON)

Cap badge:

15th-Cap-Badge_zpsysv1srei.jpg

Note on headdress: red-white-blue diced glengarry.

Collar badges:

It appears that in 1915 battalions of the 1st Division were ordered to configure collar badges in the standard C over <battn number> format.  For some time that order was apparently ignored.  Only a small minority in the 15th Battalion ever switched to the C over 15 badge according to member 15thBnCEF on the CEFSG Forum.

Early                                                                                 Later

15th%20CEF%20collar_zpstw1pu7jl.jpg             15th-Collar-Badge-2_zpsnubwttis.jpg

Shoulder formation sign (1st Division, 3rd Brigade, 15th Battalion):

15th%20CEF%20formation_zpsq24pobyf.jpg

Tartans:

Davidson                                                                                                      Stewart of Fingask (Pipers)

Davidson_zpsskqhlldf.png   stewart%20of%20gingask_zpsntjkkkpz.jpg

Shoulder title:

15CEF shoulder.jpg

ORs Aug 1917

15CEF Aug 1917.jpg

Lt Col CE Bent CMG, DSO in center

15CEF Lt Col CE Bent CMG, DSO in center.jpg

Pipe Band Aug 1917

15CEF pipers Aug 1917.jpg

Edited by gordon92

51 minutes ago, Ron Abbott said:

Thanks for this new thread.  I find the CEF thoroughly confusing!  e.g. battalions such as the 50th Gordon Highlanders of Canada, a highland, kilted unit which did not serve overseas as part of the CEF but which contributed men to other battalions of the CEF, including the 7th and 16th. 

It's fairly straightforward to understand Ron, once you realise that the existing Canadian regiments (predominantly militia) did not deploy to the theatre of war for a range of reasons.  Instead, they acted as recruiting and basic training units that then provided drafts for the numbered units of the Canadian Expeditionary Force, often supporting several battalions with regular contingents of battle casualty replacements, via the Canadian Infantry Base Depots.  Unfortunately there was little coherence between the titles of the original, feeding units and the newly created (effectively war-raised) deployed units of the CEF in France and Flanders.

Edited by FROGSMILE

37 minutes ago, Ron Abbott said:

Yes, the CEF can be confusing.  Once it is realized, as it appears you have, that the CEF and pre-War militia were separate entities, the rest is much easier to grasp.  Canada had only one regular (Permanent Force) infantry regiment prior to WW1, the Royal Canadian Regiment.

Edited by gordon92

Mike, the 15th Battalion armband (Shoulder Formation Sign) is a Vimy Reunion Brassard from 1936. These in and of themselves are really neat. I had a 47th Battalion grouping with one.

Before the adoption of French Grey as the formation sign of the 3rd Division, the 42nd battalion wore black (the original color of the 3rd Canadian Division's formation sign) 2x3" battle patches. The 7th Brigade Green triangle was worn concurrently with both. Use of Black Patches began in September of 1916 and was replaced by French Grey patches the following April of '17. This is documented in the 42nd Battalion History. The French Grey patches are typically made of French horizon blue material.

2 hours ago, Rich Moncrief said:

Mike, the 15th Battalion armband (Shoulder Formation Sign) is a Vimy Reunion Brassard from 1936. These in and of themselves are really neat. I had a 47th Battalion grouping with one.

Before the adoption of French Grey as the formation sign of the 3rd Division, the 42nd battalion wore black (the original color of the 3rd Canadian Division's formation sign) 2x3" battle patches. The 7th Brigade Green triangle was worn concurrently with both. Use of Black Patches began in September of 1916 and was replaced by French Grey patches the following April of '17. This is documented in the 42nd Battalion History. The French Grey patches are typically made of French horizon blue material.

Many thanks for these clarifications, Rich.  Would you have the page numbers in the 42nd Battalion History?  I would like to read through those points myself.

Mike

good evening,

this is one shoulder title come from to the battle front of Arras :

Royal Highlanders of CANADA :

royal highlanders of canada.JPG

DSCN3567.JPG

regards

michel

good evening,

this is one button (big) of the 43rd Cameron Highlanders of CANADA :

43rd cameron highlander of canada GM(1).JPG43rd cameron highlander of canada GM(2).JPG

& one (small) of the 48th Canadian Highlanders :

48th candain Highlanders MM.JPG

this button come from the same point.

maybe one camp, because I have find some collar / title & canadian cap badge.

cordialy

michel

17 minutes ago, battle of loos said:

good evening,

this is one shoulder title come from to the battle front of Arras :

Royal Highlanders of CANADA :

royal highlanders of canada.JPG

DSCN3567.JPG

regards

michel

8 minutes ago, battle of loos said:

good evening,

this is one button (big) of the 43rd Cameron Highlanders of CANADA :

43rd cameron highlander of canada GM(1).JPG43rd cameron highlander of canada GM(2).JPG

& one (small) of the 48th Canadian Highlanders :

48th candain Highlanders MM.JPG

this button come from the same point.

maybe one camp, because I have find some collar / title & canadian cap badge.

cordialy

michel

Excellent finds, Michel.  Did you recover these items yourself?

16th Battalion CEF (Canadian Scottish)

Key dates: began mobilization 2-9-1914; arrived in England 14-10-1914; arrived in France 7-2-1915; demobilized 8-5-1919

Raised from (primarily): 50th Regiment Gordon Highlanders of Canada (Victoria, BC), 72nd Regiment Seaforth Highlanders of Canada (Vancouver, BC), 79th Regiment Cameron Highlanders of Canada (Winnipeg, MB), 91st Regiment Canadian Highlanders (Hamilton, ON)

Cap badge:

Canada-WW1-CEF-Cap-Badge-16th-Battalion-

Note on headdress: red-white-green diced glengarry.

Collar badges:

In addition, there is evidence that the general Maple Leaf collar badge was also worn.

16th-Battalion-C-over-16-collar-tag_zpsw     CEF general list collar.jpg

Shoulder formation sign (1st Division, 3rd Brigade, 16th Battalion):

16th%20CEF%20formation_zpsjdbeplxq.jpg

Tartans:

MacKenzie                                                                                      Lennox (Pipers)

seaforth-highlanders-kilt_med_zpslzwtn2y  lennox_zps1ecmsatv.jpg

Shoulder title:

In this thread on 16th Battalion Insignia on the CEFSG Forum, member Bill Alexanders indicates that both the CANADIAN SCOTTISH tablet and the CANADA tablet were worn.  See post #77 of this thread for an image of the short-lived half-circular 16 over CANADIAN SCOTTISH title provided by member Ypres1915.

16CEF shoulder.jpg

Lt Col CW Peck VC, DSO  Cpl WH Metcalf VC outside Buckingham Palace

16CEF Lt Col. CW Peck VC DSO Cpl WH Metcalf VC.jpg

Pipe Band Feb 1918

16CEF Pipe Band Feb 1918.jpg

Edited by gordon92

17 hours ago, gordon92 said:

Many thanks for these clarifications, Rich.  Would you have the page numbers in the 42nd Battalion History?  I would like to read through those points myself.

Mike

Hello Mike, the Black and Grey battle patches are discussed briefly on Page 73 of the hard copy history of the 42nd Canadian Battalion.

3 hours ago, Rich Moncrief said:

Hello Mike, the Black and Grey battle patches are discussed briefly on Page 73 of the hard copy history of the 42nd Canadian Battalion.

Hmm......I am wondering if the 42nd History I reference online is a different than yours: http://contentdm.ucalgary.ca/cdm/ref/collection/cmh/id/37238 ?

Yes, it is the same, go to page 73 and read the top paragraph and footnote.

Indeed it is.  Somehow I missed it when looking at it the first time.  Thank you.

42nd Battalion CEF (Royal Highlanders of Canada)

Mobilized at: Montreal, Quebec

Key dates: began mobilization 8-2-1915; arrived in England 19-6-1915; arrived in France 9-10-1915; demobilized 11-3-1919

Raised from (primarily): 5th Regiment Royal Highlanders of Canada (Montreal, QC)

Cap Badge:                                                                                          Collar badges:

590b4a0a2c458_42cap.jpg.fb61a4f91e126230c6b2bed10333e50a.jpg                  42%20collar_zpsyggyb2fg.jpg

Notes on headdress: solid blue glengarry; khaki serge glengarry initially worn in Canada; red hackle worn in Tam O'Shanter from 30 November 1917.

Shoulder formation sign (3rd Division, 7th Brigade, 42nd Battalion):

Worn from May 1917 onward.  See post #9 above by member Rich Moncrief.

42%20formation_zpstoojhldr.jpg

Tartan:

Government with knife pleats.  Originally wore kilts of a pseudo-khaki tartan called the Cantlie tartan because of shortages.

Government                                   Cantlie

Govt%20tartan_zpskjucaf3v.jpg   590b48279aab7_Cantlietartan1b.jpg.5c58b35473702e4fecd4afe47118cc61.jpg

Shoulder title:

42RHC shoulder.jpg

ORs undated                                                                                   Lt RP Stafford undated

42CEF ww1.png  42CEF Lt R P Stafford - Stafford photographer.jpg

Pipe Band Arras Sept 1918

42CEF Pipe Band Arras Sept 1918.jpg

Edited by gordon92

Heres a couple of contributions to the thread, my glens from the 48th Highlanders, a diced 15th Battalion minus tails and a khaki 134th Battalion, the khaki dated 1916 and came with the little prayer card tucked inside.

48th highlanders khaki.png

48th highlanders.png

14 hours ago, Jockbhoy67 said:

Heres a couple of contributions to the thread, my glens from the 48th Highlanders, a diced 15th Battalion minus tails and a khaki 134th Battalion, the khaki dated 1916 and came with the little prayer card tucked inside.

48th highlanders khaki.png

48th highlanders.png

Excellent items, Jockbhoy67.  Both are to be treasured.  There appears to be a consensus among CEF historians that the khaki glengarries were not worn outside Canada.  What would be your understanding on this point?

43nd Battalion CEF (Cameron Highlanders of Canada)

Mobilized at: Winnipeg, Manitoba

Key dates: began mobilization 18-12-1914; arrived in England 9-6-1915; arrived in France 20-2-1916; demobilized 24-3-1919

Raised from (primarily): 79th Regiment (Cameron Highlanders of Canada) (Winnipeg)

Cap badge:                                                                                           Collar badge:

43rd%20cap%20badge_zpsnjybz5f7.jpg   43rd%20collar_zpswgjkrsqm.jpg

I have never seen an image of a C over 43 collar badge.  However, it is possible that such a badge was worn later in the war.  There seem to have been CEF wide orders issued that all battalions should wear collar badges of the C over <battn #> format, but compliance with such orders was uneven.  These points are discussed on the CEFSG Forum in this thread: CEF Collar Badges.

Note on headdress: solid blue glengarry.

Shoulder formation sign (3rd Division, 9th Brigade, 43rd Battalion)

43rd_formation_zpsyk51wt0y.jpg

Tartan:

79th

79th%20tartan_zpsusgxwykt.jpg

Shoulder title:

The only example that I have seen of a 43rd shoulder title is the CANADA tablet.  This tablet came in many variations both solid and voided.

43CEF shoulder.jpg   43CEF shoulder 2.jpg

Pte undated                                                                                              Piper undated

43CEF Pte ww1.jpg    43CEF Piper.jpg

Capt EGA Smart MC undated

43CEF Capt EGA Smart MC undated.jpg

Edited by gordon92

4 hours ago, gordon92 said:

Excellent items, Jockbhoy67.  Both are to be treasured.  There appears to be a consensus among CEF historians that the khaki glengarries were not worn outside Canada.  What would be your understanding on this point?

I believe that is what the generally accepted opinion is, ive also heard they were not used after 1916, however i have seen an example of a khaki one dated 1918, so i am unsure of where the information on them originated from, however, i have never seen a photo of a Canadian soldier wearing one in the field. So until i saw actual photographic proof they wore them outside Canada, i would have to go along with what is generally accepted as the concensus.

Edited by Jockbhoy67

A few more notes on the 42nd.

Images of the 42nd early in their service show them wearing the khaki serge glengarry's in Jock's post above. War diary entries also note Balmoral bonnets which are more conservative in cut than glengarry's though also of khaki serge material. Images of Canadian Highlanders in the late '15 period show these being worn also, again not to be confused with the Tam 'O Shanter. Tam's come into use later and are amply documented in images and existing uniform groupings. Initially the badges were of various finishes, I have seen brass, chocolate and bronzing of sorts on quite a few badges associated with 42nd battalion groupings or as is. Of course the red hackle is bestowed upon them in 1917 for wear in the Tam 'O Shanter.

Early in its career the original issue of kilts was called "Cantlie Tartan", these seem to be some sort of khaki serge kilt and images on the 42nd on parade in London suggest it is a very plain kilt, but I do not believe these are the same as the British issued khaki serge kilts made up as a simplified version and generally accepted as not being worn by anyone outside of the U.K. Later uniform groupings show the regular Government sett. Royal Stewart also seems to have been worn by the pipers; while there is a notation in the war diary that this was not sanctioned (by what level authority it does not say) a close examination of the image of the Pipe Band taken in or around Arras in September 1918 suggests the pattern being worn by pipers is not government sett. (It looks Royal Stewarty to my eyes anyway.) 

What is also interesting as found corroborated at various places in the battalion, 3rd Division Ordnance and Canadian Corp Ordnance diaries is that all of the Canadian Highland battalions sent their kilts down to Paris in early November of each year (15-16, 16-17 and 17-18) and had them returned the following May; that is, 6 months of the year they were in trousers. During the fall of 1918 it is noted they are moving too fast to bother with this.

I will get some images posted early next week of collar dog variants and officers collars.