Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Canadian Highland Battalions: Badges, Insignia, Dress

gordon92

1 hour ago, Ypres1915 said:

Ron,

I believe the 29th was not a highland unit. It's from Vancouver and the HLI is from Cambridge Ontario. The 29th Canadian Militia (pre WWI ) was eventually absorbed into the HLI but was not a Scottish unit either. The HLI perpetuates the 34 Battalion and the 111th Battalion CEF. The 111th has Scottish heritage but I don't believe they wore Scottish dress.

Ypres1915

Thanks Ypres.......I suppose in some ways that just goes to show how complicated the Canadian units appear; to the uninitiated such as myself!  

On ‎2‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 16:03, gordon92 said:

Would be appreciative if you could.

Gordon92,

Here is a picture of the title.

Ypres1915

16th10.jpg

21 hours ago, Ypres1915 said:

Here is a picture of the title.

Many thanks for posting this, Ypres1915. I had not seen this title before.  Is there any information on when the title was introduced?

Gordon92,

This uniform belonged to a soldier wounded May 1915 at Festubert. He was sent home and demobed because of his head wound. I would think the titles were handed out between his leaving and Dec 1914 when a regimental name was agreed upon. It may have been later so I'll keep reading the War Diary ( It may not have been mentioned) .... if I find anything I'll create a new post.

Ypres1915

In England when first entries made in the War Diary  .... some interesting points re uniform etc.

War office did not approve the name Princess Mary's Own Highlanders Dec12 1914

War Diary mentions the Unit was named 16th Canadian Scottish on Dec 14th 1914

Unit decided to adopt a Khaki Kilt, if available, for the duration of the War on Dec 21st ( We know this did not happen)

Unit Sailed for France Feb 12th 1915 4AM

Unit received Sodium Hyposulphate to be put in masks to prevent gas poisoning May 6th

By March unit was in the trenches and references to uniform etc are not made until May 12th when discussion with Capt Ritman stating Khaki Kilts arriving shortly

June 4th 1915 Pipe Band Inspected in their new kilts (Khaki ???? doesn't say)

June 15th 1915 Ross Rifles exchanged for Lee Enfields

June 18th Inspected by General Turner. "Diversity of uniforms had jarring effect !"

June 30th Men inspected with smoke helmets on

July 15 fighting strength 540 men and 20 officers

18 hours ago, Ypres1915 said:

This uniform belonged to a soldier wounded May 1915 at Festubert. He was sent home and demobed because of his head wound. I would think the titles were handed out between his leaving and Dec 1914 when a regimental name was agreed upon. It may have been later so I'll keep reading the War Diary ( It may not have been mentioned) .... if I find anything I'll create a new post.

Very interesting, Ypres1915.  I wonder if the 16 over curved CANADIAN SCOTTISH shoulder title was short lived since I have not seen any other references to it.  Do you post on the CEFSG Forum?  A post there might reveal more information.  If you are not a member there, I would be happy to post your photo on CEFSG with your permission, of course.

It was short lived and is very scarce. There are some references to it in some Canadian collector resources .... although there is only a drawing of it. I am a member of that forum but don't post there much.

Ypres1915

• 1 month later...

I have revived this thread to document some new material that has come to my attention regarding the tartans worn by various battalions of the Canadian Expeditionary Force, both Highland and standard line infantry.  A good portion of this information comes from the excellent booklet The Canadian Corps in World War I by Rene Chartrand published by Osprey.

First, the dress notes in posts 54, 55, and 56 addressing the 17 Highland battalions that did not serve with the Canadian Corps as complete units have been updated with more accurate information.

Next, it is worthy of mention that there was one battalion not titled "Highland" that was a kilted unit during its short lifetime: the 241st Battalion (Canadian Scottish Borderers).  All ranks wore khaki kilts except the pipe band who wore MacGregor tartan.

The following battalions had pipe bands yet otherwise dressed with standard uniform features:

• 1st Canadian Mounted Rifles - Had a mounted pipe band who dressed with no special distinctions; pipe bags were Royal Stewart tartan.
  • Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry (PPCLI) - Pipers in Hunting Stewart tartan kilts.
  • 19th (Central Ontario) Battalion - Pipers in Government tartan kilts with knife pleats.
  • 21st (Eastern Ontario) Battalion - Pipers in Government tartan kilts with knife pleats; pipe bags MacLeod of Harris.
  • 25th Battalion (Nova Scotia Rifles) - Pipers in MacKenzie tartan kilts.
  • 26th (New Brunswick) Battalion - Pipers in MacKenzie tartan kilts.
  • 29th (Vancouver) Battalion - Pipers in khaki kilts; pipe bags Hunting MacKinnon.
  • 35th Battalion - Pipers in Davidson tartan kilts.
  • 46th (South Saskatchewan) Battalion - Pipers in Royal Stewart tartan kilts.
  • 49th Battalion (Edmonton Regiment) - Pipers had no special dress distinctions; pipe bags Royal Stewart.
  • 50th (Calgary) Battalion - Pipers in Government tartan kilts with knife pleats.
  • 63rd (Edmonton) Battalion - Pipers in trousers with blue glengarries.
  • 67th Battalion (Western Scots) - Pipers in Douglas tartan kilts.
  • 77th (Ottawa) Battalion - Pipers in khaki kilts.
  • 82nd (Alberta) Battalion - Pipers had no special dress distinctions.
  • 102nd Battalion (North British Columbians) - Pipers in Douglas tartan kilts..
  • 107th (Winnipeg) Battalion - Pipers in Government tartan kilts with box pleats.
  • 154th (Stormont-Dundas-Glengarry) Battalion - Pipers in khaki kilts; pipe bags 79th tartan.
  • 168th Battalion (Oxfords) - Pipers in Hunting Stewart tartan kilts.
  • 208th Battalion (Canadian Irish) - Definitely had a pipe band, but it is unclear if pipers had any special dress distinctions.  If they did, it was probably Saffron kilts.
  • 224th (Ottawa) Battalion - Pipers in MacDougall tartan kilts.
  • 228th Battalion (Northern Fusiliers) - Pipers in Davidson tartan kilts.
  • 242nd (Quebec) Battalion - Pipers in Ferguson tartan kilts.
  • 1st Pioneer Battalion - Pipers in MacKenzie tartan kilts.

• 1 year later...

I am wondering about the patterns of hose tops, and sporrans used by the various CEF Highland battalions.  In particular I am looking for information as to the dress of the 67th Battalion pipe band of the Canadian 4th Division.  Does anyone have sources for that information?