Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

rare books

gronksmil

This history of the Artists Rifles in the Great War is by no means an uncommon book but this is the first one I’ve seen to retain (most of) it’s jacket.

Although many famous artists did serve with it, it was by no means exclusively for them. Started in the 1850s by the time of the Great War is was primarily a training regiment for officers. This remarkable volume, the third, definitive, edition from 1922, lists every man who passed through their ranks, what medals they won, where they ended up. There are also some excellent accounts by some of the officers.2E0F3292-3249-4B78-B346-42B1E405D24D.jpeg.28f82044fb4d6f6c53d82258e52895fe.jpeg

• 1 month later...

An interesting rarity has just popped up on ABE. Major F.M.Crum was known to me from his two books on Sniping - With Riflemen, Scouts & Snipers & Memoirs of a Rifleman Scout. This looks as if it may have been the basis for those two - Scouts & Sniping in Trench Warfare, privately printed by Crum in Cambridge in 1916. Never seen or heard of it before so presumably very scarce. It’s £250 though, so I may pass.9A4A6C99-A4A0-4753-9FCA-5A51BA1121EA.jpeg.3d3cd1a296bc00d9f542e6338c57a6c3.jpeg

• 2 months later...

Here is an interesting find. This is an advanced copy of 'A Subaltern On The Somme'. It's soft covered, but has the true first edition dust jacket around it. I will spend some time checking it over and see if it is different to the published edition.

IMG_20230626_213149_904 2.jpg

IMG_20230626_212403_920 2.jpg

Interesting. With luck it might have corrections in it by Plowman.

Just checked through it carefully. Looks just like the first edition. No Notes etc.. inside.

• 6 months later...
On 03/11/2018 at 08:49, Black Maria said:

Remember this one ?-H.Q Tanks posted it on the favourite dust jacket thread a while back .

aviation.jpg

Well, after all these years here is where I am at. Still looking for a few. Really struggling to find 'With the Earth Beneath' and 'Days  The Wing' in the pictorial jacket without spending fortune.

Unknown.jpeg

Well done a great collection . I'm sure the two you're still looking for will eventually turn up at a reasonable price ( just looked it up and my copies were £90 and £60 , both on e-bay i think ) .

I will keep looking 

Wonderful collection. They really made an effort in the 1930s to give books the jackets they deserved. So much better than the afterthoughts they are today.

I found a fascinating article about the history of John Hamilton Ltd.  They only published about 90 books in total. Started up in 1925 by Charles Daniel. There never was a John Hamilton!

www.majortweedy.com/people-hamilton-publishing-430.html

2 hours ago, other ranker said:

I found a fascinating article about the history of John Hamilton Ltd.  They only published about 90 books in total. Started up in 1925 by Charles Daniel. There never was a John Hamilton!

www.majortweedy.com/people-hamilton-publishing-430.html

Fascinating. Well found.

• 2 months later...

Well, after all these years they turn up! One from Australia and one from the US.

IMG_20240328_205934_224.jpg

9 hours ago, other ranker said:

Well, after all these years they turn up! One from Australia and one from the US.

IMG_20240328_205934_224.jpg

If only todays publishers were prepared to use original artwork on their covers.

That's good , well done . It's always very satisfying to finally find them elusive books .