Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

rare books

gronksmil

Very nice indeed. This must have the first appearance of Henry Williamson’s forward being published after Yeates’ death from TB.

• 7 months later...

a couple of items I was well pleased to purchase as I have never seen these mentioned anywhere before

"Letters from France" Duncan Storey M C 1915-1915 Rugby School, Warwickshire regiment  privately printed 1928 100 copies

"War Letters and records" 1914-1918 L F Callingham  RND privately printed 1928

Both volumes consist of letters written whilst on active service  

• 5 months later...
On 30/07/2017 at 15:44, other ranker said:

Has anyone seen a 1918 copy of 'The Breaking Of The Storm' by C A L Brownlow for sale in the last ten years? Its been on my want list for 20!

There is a copy for sale in the latest Turner Donovan catalogue  (£145), if you're still looking.

Thanks for the heads up. I bought it!

1 hour ago, other ranker said:

Thanks for the heads up. I bought it!

:thumbsup:

I don't usually spend a lot of money on an individual book. £30 would be a expensive hardback but as I had all the previous volumes and had just received cash backs from cancelled holidays I took the plunge. Well over £100 ! but SWMBO might read this!

image.jpeg

I think it is SWMBA rather than SWMBO-  that is, "She Who Must Be Avoided".  Never mind, You have quite a long way to go-one of my old customers from Northern Ireland used to get his indulgences  delivered to a newsagent in Dundalk-in the Republic- "Just popping out for an hour".  Renting off-site storage was another ploy. Alas, the "SWMBO" usually have more finely tuned antennae than even the most most zealous Gestapo officer.

On the bright side, I have never known of any fatalities thus far when the other half finds out.  Keeping bank/card statements well hidden is vital. Just remember the old story

WIFE-"Either the books go or I do"

HUSBAND- "I miss her sometimes"

I’m also a keen fisherman and the joke amongst us is that we are worried that when we die our wives will sell our fishing gear for what we said we paid for it!

• 2 years later...

I bought this from South Africa before Christmas. Thanks to DJC for seeing it and letting me know. So now we know there are two in dust jackets......

Does this get me a promotion?

Unknown.jpeg

Probably the best & rarest of all the WW1 memoirs. I guess it suffered from being published so late in the day with War looming once more. So glad it’s found the perfect home.

1 hour ago, other ranker said:

I bought this from South Africa before Christmas. Thanks to DJC for seeing it and letting me know. So now we know there are two in dust jackets......

Does this get me a promotion?

Well done , i did see it on ABE when it was first listed and was surprised it took quite a time to be sold as it wasn't a bad price for an elusive book .

• 3 weeks later...

Once in a while it is useful having to get up at 5.30am. Found this cheaply from Australia

img20230220_20380527 2.jpg

5.30 fills me with dread, even for that, but well done.

This is the result of getting up at 9.00 o’clock!

Arthur Graham West’s ‘Diary of a Dead Officer’, originally published, as here, in 1918 by The Herald and then later by Allen & Unwin in the same format, although undated. West was a Captain in the Sixth Ox & Bucks who was killed by a sniper in April 1917. The Herald edition seems to be much the scarcer, particularly in its jacket.DF544D99-E9D4-46BE-8E45-F54F45284BF4.jpeg.3bd7cdf81043a8023fb17eaf783b6d2b.jpeg

Great one DJC. I must have been bleary eyed that morning!

A current thread has reminded me of this book which I must have bought donkey’s years ago for a few pence. Privately printed in 1923 it’s Major A.L.K. Anderson’s account of his time on the Western Front with the 2nd South Staffs. It seems to be rather scarce now but fortunately has been newly reprinted and is available from Amazon.28B34A8A-7D65-4C80-9B9C-BC27BD6C5ED2.jpeg.2922b515ae85917993b7158f52577244.jpeg

36 minutes ago, Dust Jacket Collector said:

A current thread has reminded me of this book which I must have bought donkey’s years ago for a few pence. Privately printed in 1923 it’s Major A.L.K. Anderson’s account of his time on the Western Front with the 2nd South Staffs. It seems to be rather scarce now but fortunately has been newly reprinted and is available from Amazon.

Yes Alan it's welcome news , i have been trying to find a copy for quite a few years . I've seen about two for sale in that time , the last one went for £100 !! 

Edited by Black Maria

3 hours ago, Dust Jacket Collector said:

This is the result of getting up at 9.00 o’clock!

Arthur Graham West’s ‘Diary of a Dead Officer’, originally published, as here, in 1918 by The Herald and then later by Allen & Unwin in the same format, although undated. West was a Captain in the Sixth Ox & Bucks who was killed by a sniper in April 1917. The Herald edition seems to be much the scarcer, particularly in its jacket.

That's interesting , i hadn't realised there were two publishers . I've just checked my un-jacketed copy and it's The Herald one . The Imperial War Museum published a nice facsimile copy in their Arts and Literature series a few years back .

42 minutes ago, Black Maria said:

That's interesting , i hadn't realised there were two publishers . I've just checked my un-jacketed copy and it's The Herald one . The Imperial War Museum published a nice facsimile copy in their Arts and Literature series a few years back .

I thought they did but I couldn’t find any mention of it anywhere. Those facsimiles have become almost as scarce as the books they were copying. I made a list of them once but can’t remember where it is. Typical!

9 minutes ago, Dust Jacket Collector said:

I thought they did but I couldn’t find any mention of it anywhere. Those facsimiles have become almost as scarce as the books they were copying. I made a list of them once but can’t remember where it is. Typical!

Yes they have , i sold my copies of 'Roads to Glory' and ' Blasting and Bombardiering ' when i found the originals in jackets . I did try and sell 'Diary of a Dead Officer' but no one wanted to buy it so i decided to keep it , a decision that i've not regretted as it's a quality little book .

23 minutes ago, Dust Jacket Collector said:

I found this on the forum .  

8 hours ago, Black Maria said:

I found this on the forum .  

Ah yes, I remember now. Thanks for that. Well it was two years ago and the old brain…..

This is one I've had a while and haven't got around to scanning . Quite a boring jacket i'm afraid but it must be quite scarce as i don't believe it's on DJC's site ( feel free to use it Alan :)) . It's the 1917 first edition published by John Lane .

khaki courage 2.jpeg

Edited by Black Maria

1 hour ago, Black Maria said:

This is one I've had a while and haven't got around to scanning . Quite a boring jacket i'm afraid but it must be quite scarce as i don't believe it's on DJC's site ( feel free to use it Alan :)) . It's the 1917 first edition published by John Lane .

khaki courage 2.jpeg

I could have sworn I had that but I don’t. Thanks BM, I’ll use it.

1 hour ago, Dust Jacket Collector said:

I could have sworn I had that but I don’t. Thanks BM, I’ll use it.

:thumbsup: