Jump to content
Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ross Bayonet Mk.I


JMB1943

Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, RangeRover said:

Great deal on that bayonet, Sksvlad.

 

This bayonet wouldn't be from one of the HMS Canada Ross rifles as those were Mk III Ross rifles which use the later, Mk II, bayonet which has a different muzzle ring. 

 

 

 

Quite correct! (as you were....)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 years later...

Tim, my son owns this well preserved example of a Mark 1 Ross bayonet. dated December 1914.   The scabbard is stamped MK 1 and dated 1914, the grips still show the inspectors stamps.  Not too clear from the photos is the thin film of hardened grease on the blade, which has maintained the original finish.

Mike.

SAM_2910.JPG

SAM_2912.JPG

SAM_2909.JPG

SAM_2917.JPG

SAM_2916.JPG

SAM_2914.JPG

Edited by MikeyH
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Mike,

The almost unmarked condition and grease on the blade suggest that this is an unissued bayonet.

I am surprised at the “non-blued” reversed side of the release button, otherwise it is museum quality.

Thanks for posting this pristine example.

Regards,

JMB

Link to comment
Share on other sites

JMB,

Yes, I too wondered about the release button partly being 'in white', but shows no sign of recent tampering.  As a total contrast, a few images of my example, dated April 1912, which carries the same inspectors marks.  This was rescued from a box of rusty relics for a small sum.

Regards,

Mike.

 

SAM_2936.JPG

SAM_2938.JPG

SAM_2937.JPG

Edited by MikeyH
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes,

It has the “been there, done that” look without being totally destroyed!

You don’t often see the rust such a pinkish-red colour.

It’s a nice looking piece.

Regards,

JMB

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, JMB1943 said:

Yes,

It has the “been there, done that” look without being totally destroyed!

You don’t often see the rust such a pinkish-red colour.

It’s a nice looking piece.

Regards,

JMB

JMB,

Thanks, the blade is clean, what seems to be rust is just a reflection.

Regards,

Mike.

Edited by MikeyH
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, MikeyH said:

Tim, my son owns this well preserved example of a Mark 1 Ross bayonet. dated December 1914.   The scabbard is stamped MK 1 and dated 1914, the grips still show the inspectors stamps.  Not too clear from the photos is the thin film of hardened grease on the blade, which has maintained the original finish.

Mike.

SAM_2910.JPG

SAM_2912.JPG

SAM_2909.JPG

SAM_2917.JPG

SAM_2916.JPG

SAM_2914.JPG

With the 11 stamp for Pattern 1911, the 1914 date and shape of the crossguard this is a MkII bt.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, MikeyH said:

JMB,

Thanks, the blade is clean, what seems to be rust is just a reflection.

Regards,

Mike.

Mike,

Sorry about that!

I was just looking at Brit. & Commnwlth Bayos, 1st ed. 1984, and on p.300 it shows a well-blued pommel identical to that of your son’s, with the release button “in the white”. However, Skennerton makes no comment on this.

Regards,

JMB

EDIT: Reviewing the Mk I & Mk II Ross information in Skennerton indicates that Mr. Green is correct about your son’s bayonet indeed being a Mk II, as is yours also.

Edited by JMB1943
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, green said:

With the 11 stamp for Pattern 1911, the 1914 date and shape of the crossguard this is a MkII bt.

Thanks, I was misled by the Mk1 stamp on the scabbard, should have referred to my copy of 'Skennerton'.

Mike.

 

Edited by MikeyH
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...