Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is this lieutenant outside Buckingham Palace?

Blakeley

Further to my post 9, I've now opened this thread on the

CEFSG

(I am not, of course, the only person who is a member of both groups.)

Moonraker

I love a puzzle! The profile is very close, right view might be tilted slightly:

y755kh2erbkc8856g.jpg

Later picture:

ce9unntpm4c83i26g.jpg m2ak5uxapa3u8yp6g.jpg

On the MC question, Grandfather George V Laughton M.C., a Canadian, is not on the Canadian lists that I know of because he was an Officer in the Tyneside Irish at the time. His medal was presented at the Ontario Legislature in Toronto.

Edited by laughton
updated information

We're not even sure the chap's Canadian: I'm not convinced about the maple leaves in the collar dogs.

IF it was his wife in the picture, it would be after the date of marriage on 2 June 1924 unless it was his "date".

w6we0p4z8f6en3n6g.jpg

On 30/12/2016 at 07:14, Steven Broomfield said:

Nice pair of lorgnettes, though.

I was about to condemn Steven for describing the eyewear as "lorgnettes" when they appear to be pince nez. The former have a handle on one side. But looking again at the first picture there appears to be something attached to the right-hand side (from the wearer's perspective) of the frame. Looks too thin to be a handle; perhaps a cord so that the eyewear could be retrieved if they became detached. (During his last moments, John Kipling is said to have been scrabbling around in the mud for his spectacles.) Surely not a scar?

Moonraker

EDIT: having spent far too much time researching this topic, I can now state that they are pince nez, and so Steven IS summarily condemned :)

Edited by Moonraker

There are several Youtube clips about Banting, including

this one

with some photos of him of the Great War era.

Possibly any perceived differences with the first photos posted here could be to his looking haggard in these after being wounded?

Moonraker

Edited by Moonraker
cokced-up logic by me

As a sergeant-major in the militia:

click

With his first wife:

click and scroll down

Our Canadian friends also have a couple of fresh ideas.

(Wouldn't it be anti-climatic if it wasn't Banting after all?:blink:

Moonraker

Edited by Moonraker

His droopy left eyelid in all the pics and the one outside Buck House (plus all the other similarities) convince me. Banting appears to be our man. 

17 hours ago, Stoppage Drill said:

Same sort of specs. Top of right ear prominent in both cases. Shape of top lip directly below filtrum is identical . . . . .

23 minutes ago, Mark1959 said:

His droopy left eyelid in all the pics and the one outside Buck House (plus all the other similarities) convince me. Banting appears to be our man. 

Perversely a member of the CEFSG disagrees: " War can change a face, bit IMO that is not Banting. The officer leaving the palace has a distinct droop to the left eye brow and socket that Banting does not show before or after the war. The shape of the ears is not right and the distinctive shape of Banting's upper lip is not there either IMO."

:unsure:

Moonraker

3 hours ago, Moonraker said:

...But looking again at the first picture there appears to be something attached to the right-hand side (from the wearer's perspective) of the frame. Looks too thin to be a handle; perhaps a cord so that the eyewear could be retrieved if they became detached....

Pince nez often came with a chain and ear-loop fixed to the right side to help prevent loss, as per:

2316730323_efff969ca6_z.jpg

Edited by Andrew Upton

Hi All

On 21.8.1924 Frederick and his wife were on board "Metapan" from Cristobal, Panama bound for New York, final destination, Toronto....honeymoon cruise? Arrived New York, Sept.5th.

Regards Barry

Hi All

3 hours ago, Mark1959 said:

Couldn't agree more. The family pic (post 25) shows his sister, born 1887 seated left and he will be the boy on the right, looking through my magnifying glass he looks to have something wrong with his left eye..partially closed!

Regards Barry

Edited by The Inspector

Hi Phil

YES

Regards Barry

Sorry Phil, thought you meant the photo YOU posted....wrong specs.

Edited by The Inspector

I must admit that for a little while I thought it might be T.E. Lawrence, but I don't believe he was ever awarded the Military Cross.

Scan10031.JPG

Edited by Blakeley

Hi All

Edited NO, pretty sure it's Banting, even the travel records add up. (Lawrence, C.B. D.S.O and didn't wear glasses.)

Regards Barry 

From the other thread.....so they had been on a cruise not just "motoring" Wedding of Frederick and Marian Banting

Edited by The Inspector

5 hours ago, Moonraker said:

Perversely a member of the CEFSG disagrees: " War can change a face, bit IMO that is not Banting. The officer leaving the palace has a distinct droop to the left eye brow and socket that Banting does not show before or after the war. The shape of the ears is not right and the distinctive shape of Banting's upper lip is not there either IMO."

:unsure:

Moonraker

Sure. But the OP does tell us that the image has been retouched.

57 minutes ago, PhilH said:

That photo really is bugging me - the face just looks so familiar.

It couldn't be TE Lawrence, could it??

Te_lawrence.jpg

Was he an actor in a WWI FILM? could be wrong/corrected. 

We're getting a bit mixed up now! Was who an actor in a WWI film? I infer that the photo that was bugging Phil was the one in the opening post and that he was wondering if it was T E Lawrence - which it most definitely is not. I've never seen a photograph of him wearing pince nez for a start.We really don't want to go off at a tangent discussing who Phil's photo might be of - it IS T E Lawrence!

Moonraker

8 minutes ago, PhilH said:

TE Lawrence? I suspect he may have been otherwise engaged in the desert.

Of course. The Gobi.

Cheers Sir, :)

Hi Moonraker

Quite right, I'm looking for the other man in the OP.

I'm convinced it is his sister and all the photos I have seen of Frederick Grant Banting have the same features. We do know that he was twice refused entry due to poor eyesight.......searching.

Regards Barry

Edited by The Inspector

To avoid further confusion..... I WAS referring to the OP's photo. The one I posted WAS of TE Lawrence as a possible match to which folk have given a definitive no