Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Waffenfabrik Mauser 98/05 bayonets

trajan

Late war production piece S98/05nA by Luneschloss, normally the blade should be similar as pommel, grey patina, the blade was cleaned.

Navydoc16

Grooves in grips have been 'cleaned out', see marks on flashguard.  Grip bolts and nuts also polished 'fraktur' marks no longer evident.

Mike.

The very late production didnt have any proofs on screws, so this could be period so.

Yeah I didn’t clean the grips out- I’m assuming you mean filing or similar, shame if it has been, the grips are rather nicer than any of my others 

I take your comment on the grip screws and, however I’m not sure anyone’s removed them in a very long time if at all.

I had no choice but to clean the cross guard unfortunately due to the rust. Blade I haven’t touched nor the pommel.

blade isn’t quite as shiny as it looks in the photos- I have big overhead lights. But thanks for everyone input, shame it’s not as original as I was hoping, might have to just finished cleaning it? given the new information, that way it will patina all the same? 

kind regards

g

Edited by navydoc16

1 hour ago, navydoc16 said:

Yeah I didn’t clean the grips out- I’m assuming you mean filing or similar, shame if it has been, the grips are rather nicer than any of my others 

I take your comment on the grip screws and, however I’m not sure anyone’s removed them in a very long time if at all.

I had no choice but to clean the cross guard unfortunately due to the rust. Blade I haven’t touched nor the pommel.

blade isn’t quite as shiny as it looks in the photos- I have big overhead lights. But thanks for everyone input, shame it’s not as original as I was hoping, might have to just finished cleaning it? given the new information, that way it will patina all the same? 

kind regards

g

Navydoc,

Yes, someone has 'filed out' the grip grooves for better definition, the file has nicked the flashguard on both sides.

Still a very nice example.

Mike.

Edited by MikeyH

Thanks mate, I thought she was a bit nicer than she ended up being from the looks of it, but I’ll give it a crack at giving it a tidy up, knowing it’s not all original- I figure now it can age all together so I’ll pop the grips off and go from there.

I’ll throw up some photos later, hopefully they get taken in good jest knowing the condition she’s currently in and that she’s not “original”. I do have some rather sympathetic restoration methods that I can share 

kind regards

g

Edited by navydoc16