Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Irchonwelz Communal Cemetery, Belgium

Mark Hone

Thank you all for your continued activities supporting the remembrance of those who gave their lives, it is especially appreciated at this time of year and whilst, once again, there is war in Europe.  Lest we forget…🌺

Edited by FROGSMILE

I'd like to add my thanks too, for the same reasons.

Pete.

Thanks to Nicolas for ringing the bells. At the same time, the inhabitants of Irchonwelz, the children of the school paid tribute as every year to the soldiers who died during the war.

DSC04292.JPG

DSC04291.JPG

11 minutes ago, christiandup said:

Thanks to Nicolas for ringing the bells. At the same time, the inhabitants of Irchonwelz, the children of the school paid tribute as every year to the soldiers who died during the war.

DSC04292.JPG

DSC04291.JPG

Wonderful to see, and even with a brass band too.  Well done to the people of Irchonwelz and their children!

15 minutes ago, christiandup said:

DSC04292.JPG

DSC04291.JPG

Bravo and many thanks to the inhabitants and children of Irchonwelz. :)

Lest we forget. :poppy::poppy::poppy:

M

Great photos. Irchonwelz cements it's status as the Great War Forum's favourite bit of Belgium.

Pete.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all, I hope page is still active, however I just wanted to say that it appears my great grand uncle was one of those LF’s who was wounded at the liberation of Ath on November 10th. He was part of the 2/5th and was entitled to a wound stipe, being listed in a French hospital on the 29th of November (presumably in or near Ath). I was wondering if any of you would be aware of where I might find more information? 

Hello, here is war diary of 2nd/5th Lancashire Fusiliers ; on 29th November, you can see the unit was in Leuze, a town at 13 kms from Ath.

image.png.08687c8e3b51a06f83e496601d55104c.png

image.png.15b2aedb02cc87dfb92843202971a763.png

image.png.657626c0fa1f783322e3299905eb6e8d.png

Thank you Morance.

from what i have researched the 44th Casualty Clearing Station was situated in Leuze from 16th - 21st, so I believe its possible he was admitted there when the 2/5th arrived on the 21st

however this is according to The Long, Long Trail. Other sources I have found suggest that the 44th CCS didn’t vacate Leuze until the 1st December 

Edited by TheIrishman

TheIrishman

I haven’t had much time yet ,(Grandpa!). But like Sébastien (Morancé), we will try to help you.

A reservation however: I am not a true historian like Sébastien.

I read the following: « the Story of the 2/1 st Wessex Field Ambulance 1914-1919 ».

« We marched on over crowded roads - sometimes five columns abreast moved along- and got into Ath, where we etablished the first A.D.S. in that town early on the 11th…….. In the middle of the morning the Armistice was declared ….. »

---------------------------------------

I also found this information.

2nd Australian Casualty Clearing Station

On 14 Nov 1918 they moved to Tournai where they occupied the Asylum building, and on 18 Dec 1918 they moved once more, to Ath, where they established themselves in a civil Hospital. (We spoke French there)

On 27 Feb 1919 orders were received for the unit to hand over to a British Field Ambulance and to proceed to the Base for demobilisation. A staff of British Sisters took over the Hospital. Constance Mabel KEYS (picture), an Australian nurse was present at Ath during this period.

-------------------------------------

I never found a list with the names of Commonwealth soldiers wounded in Ath during the liberation

Kind regards.

Christian

20221201_0001.jpg

Constance Mabel Keys Australian Nurse.jpg

Hi @TheIrishman, I am aware from the other thread in which you have mentioned your great granduncle that he was Private 57538 Thomas Wells, and that he lost a leg as a result of his wounding.

I am not sure why you believe that he was admitted to 44 CCS. He may have been, but that would depend on the evacuation route for wounded soldiers of the 42nd Division (the Division in which the 2/5th LF was) at the time of Thomas' wounding on 10 November 1918.

As his wound appears to have been a serious one, he would not have remained with the 2/5th LF until they arrived at Leuze on 21 November 1918, but would have been treated initially at the Regimental Aid Post of the 2/5th, then sent back via an Advanced Dressing Station to the appropriate CCS, whichever the 42nd Division were using at the time, and from there to a more permanent hospital. You may already have found the Long Long Trail's article on evacuation https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldiers/a-soldiers-life-1914-1918/the-evacuation-chain-for-wounded-and-sick-soldiers/.

If you are interested in which hospital in France Thomas was likely to have been admitted to it may be worth starting a new thread in Medical Services (home and Abroad), where the medical men are more likely to find it, and may be able to help further.

In another thread I discovered that your great uncle was

Pte Thomas Wells (57538). He was in the 2/5th Bn, Lancashire Fusiliers and was (apparently) one of the 19 LF’s wounded during the liberation of Ath (Belgium) on November 10th 1918. I did not know that the number of wounded was known:19.

The Belgian newspapers of the time mentioned these bombings in Irchonwelz, no more. It is true that the events took place in a place far from the centre of the village.

Little by little, we will be able to give more information to future visitors of the Chapel Notre Dame au chêne. Thank you to the Great War Forum and its members.

• 11 months later...

Hello everyone,

As last year, my son and I honoured the memory of the soldiers. Arsène rang the bell and we also lit candles for them. I attach a huge importance to the duty of memory and I tell the story to my little son. 
Lest we forget. IMG_1106.jpeg.9aeb035d626071feed17daf7dbf560e5.jpegIMG_1117.jpeg.a0d8deb25691cf63032e08f06399940c.jpeg

I was lying in bed at 04:30 this morning thinking about the chapel!

For those reading this, who do not know my connection to Ath. My father (Dr/Lieut. Arthur Morris RAMC) was Medical Officer to the 1/5 Kings Own Royal Lancs in November 1918. When the Armistice was announced they was just outside Ath in the vilage of Moulbaix. By the afternoon of the 11th, he and the battalion were in Ath and would have passed by the chapel.

I know a great deal about what he did when and where as my grandmother kept all the letters he wrote to her while he was in the RAMC.

I have also been to Ath and visited the Chapel in 2019 and was guided round in a very kind way by Christian  @christiandup  and Sebastian

On 01/12/2022 at 23:07, christiandup said:

TheIrishman

I haven’t had much time yet ,(Grandpa!). But like Sébastien (Morancé), we will try to help you.

A reservation however: I am not a true historian like Sébastien.

I read the following: « the Story of the 2/1 st Wessex Field Ambulance 1914-1919 ».

« We marched on over crowded roads - sometimes five columns abreast moved along- and got into Ath, where we etablished the first A.D.S. in that town early on the 11th…….. In the middle of the morning the Armistice was declared ….. »

---------------------------------------

I also found this information.

2nd Australian Casualty Clearing Station

On 14 Nov 1918 they moved to Tournai where they occupied the Asylum building, and on 18 Dec 1918 they moved once more, to Ath, where they established themselves in a civil Hospital. (We spoke French there)

On 27 Feb 1919 orders were received for the unit to hand over to a British Field Ambulance and to proceed to the Base for demobilisation. A staff of British Sisters took over the Hospital. Constance Mabel KEYS (picture), an Australian nurse was present at Ath during this period.

-------------------------------------

I never found a list with the names of Commonwealth soldiers wounded in Ath during the liberation

Kind regards.

Christian

20221201_0001.jpg

Constance Mabel Keys Australian Nurse.jpg

Christian,

I cannot remember if I told you that before serving with the 1/5 Kings Own, my father served as one of the doctors with the 2/1st Wessex Field Ambulance, (I also have a copy of the red booklet, in which they misspelled his name as "Morrison".). 

Regards

John

Lovely to see the chapel again and to hear about the continued commemoration of the soldiers who died in the liberation of Irchonwelz and Ath in November 1918. I have very fond memories of the wonderful hospitality shown to my Battlefields Tour group during our two visits in 2018 and 2022.

Hello Mr. Hone and Mr. Morris,

you are welcome if you will come in Ath in future ; then please tell me or Christian, and we will be glad to meet you again around the chapel !

See u soon ?

Sébastien

(Im the standard-bearer of ancient soldiers of Mainvault (near Ath) at left, on 11th November 2023)

image.png.ae7552a0411814d1d099bbf290590b21.png

And thx to LeplaeN for commemoration !

Hey Mark, did you come with the students from the Bury Grammar School ? I was at the chapel too. By the way, the chapel is in the back of my garden and I use to go there nearly everyday with my son. He loves to ring de bell and he points with his finger towards the panel with the story of the soldiers and I read it. I think we must tell the history and the sacrifice of soldiers, who were far from their homes to fight against oppression and paid the price of our freedom with their lives. 

My great grandfather was also a soldier in the well known Brigade Piron during WWII. 

@Moranceit’s always a pleasure and an honour to do it ! 

Lovely to know that these memories are being kept alive by @LeplaeNand the others.

Yes, I brought parties from Bury Grammar School to the chapel and the cemetery in Irchonwelz in October 2018 and October 2022. The warm welcome extended to us by the people of Irchonwlez and Ath will always be remembered. In 2022, our visit was on the last day of my 29th, and final, school Battlefields Tour before retirement. In addition to me, two students were present on both visits. As mentioned elsewhere on this thread, the connection is that a former pupil of Bury Grammar School, 2nd Lt. Thomas Hope Floyd, of 2/5th Lancashire Fusiliers, wrote a first hand account of his part in the final advance. He also kept a diary of what happened after the end of hostilities.  Here is what was happening in Ath, 105 years ago:

13th November Wednesday

Wilson, Walsh and I strolled about Ath in the afternoon. A band was playing in the square. King Albert has not yet turned up here but is expected any day. We saw General Kentish* in the square: he had a chat with us. He is a good sort. He told us that he was looking after repatriated prisoners. Swarms of them are streaming in and passing on to the coast.

14th November Thursday

The weather still fine, but cold. In Ath in the afternoon. General Kentish in the square again. The Liverpool Scottish pipes were playing a Highland Fling to the great interest of the Belgian crowds. In the square I met Captain Gibson , adjutant of the 1/5th South Lancs-the old Sergeant Major Gibson of the 29th Royal Fusiliers . It was the first time I had seen him since September 1916.

Rumours of Revolution in Germany, but have not seen a paper for some time. The repatriated soldiers bring tales of disorder and bloodshed amongst mutinous German troops. The Kaiser and the Crown Prince have gone to Holland.

Brigadier General Reginald John Kentish, (1876-1956) Commander of 166th Brigade, 55th (West Lancashire) Division in November 1918.

Kentish.jpg

Edited by Mark Hone

November 15th Friday

Battalion parade in the morning. Colonel Brighten* made an eloquent speech ; gloried in the amazing terms of this most remarkable Armistice in History; thanked us for the service we had rendered to our country in making this wonderful victory possible ; and, thanking us for our loyalty to him , declared that this loyalty was the secret of all the great successes which have been achieved by this Battalion during the fifteen months that he has commanded it.

This afternoon the Freedom of Ath was conferred upon General Stockwell**. (2/5th LF War Diary adds: 'Brigadier General C.I. Stockwell C.M.G., DSO was presented with an ILLUMINATED ADDRESS by the Burgomaster of the town'.) It is King Albert’s birthday and so, at the request of the townsfolk of Ath, the 2/5th Lancashire Fusiliers have headed a procession of school-children to celebrate the day. We were marching around the town all afternoon with the kiddies, carrying flags, behind us. “Sunday School treat!” exclaimed some of the men. In our honour, the people of Ath have renamed the street along which we marched in triumph into the town on Monday ‘Rue Des Anglais’. We got back to our billets about 4-30. Colonel Brighten was carrying a bouquet.

* Lt Colonel George Stanley Brighten DSO and Bar (1890-1954). Took command of 2/5th Lancashire Fusiliers in August 1917, after the death in action of Bertram Best-Dunkley VC. Won DSO for his handling of the Battalion at Third Ypres, Bar for actions during the German Spring Offensive in April 1918. The Imperial War Museum Archive has a letter he wrote home describing the final advance and the Armistice, which I have not seen. 

** Brigadier General Clifton Inglis Stockwell DSO (1879-1953), Commander of 164th Brigade, 55th (West Lancashire) Division and ‘Stockwell’s Force’ Flying Column, which spearheaded the advance towards Ath, in November 1918. Much admired by T.H. Floyd, an opinion not shared by Private Frank Richards of 2nd Royal Welsh Fusiliers, whose company commander he was early in the war. In his classic memoir 'Old Soldiers Never Die', Richards portrays him as the fearsome, pistol-toting martinet 'Buffalo Bill'. On the other hand, Stockwell played a major role in organising the famous Christmas Truce of 1914 on his part of the Front Line.

Clifton_Inglis_Stockwell.png

Edited by Mark Hone

4 hours ago, Mark Hone said:

November 15th Friday

Battalion parade in the morning. Colonel Brighten* made an eloquent speech ; gloried in the amazing terms of this most remarkable Armistice in History; thanked us for the service we had rendered to our country in making this wonderful victory possible ; and, thanking us for our loyalty to him , declared that this loyalty was the secret of all the great successes which have been achieved by this Battalion during the fifteen months that he has commanded it.

This afternoon the Freedom of Ath was conferred upon General Stockwell**. (2/5th LF War Diary adds: 'Brigadier General C.I. Stockwell C.M.G., DSO was presented with an ILLUMINATED ADDRESS by the Burgomaster of the town'.) It is King Albert’s birthday and so, at the request of the townsfolk of Ath, the 2/5th Lancashire Fusiliers have headed a procession of school-children to celebrate the day. We were marching around the town all afternoon with the kiddies, carrying flags, behind us. “Sunday School treat!” exclaimed some of the men. In our honour, the people of Ath have renamed the street along which we marched in triumph into the town on Monday ‘Rue Des Anglais’. We got back to our billets about 4-30. Colonel Brighten was carrying a bouquet.

* Lt Colonel George Stanley Brighten DSO and Bar (1890-1954). Took command of 2/5th Lancashire Fusiliers in August 1917, after the death in action of Bertram Best-Dunkley VC. Won DSO for his handling of the Battalion at Third Ypres, Bar for actions during the German Spring Offensive in April 1918. The Imperial War Museum Archive has a letter he wrote home describing the final advance and the Armistice, which I have not seen. 

** Brigadier General Clifton Inglis Stockwell DSO (1879-1953), Commander of 164th Brigade, 55th (West Lancashire) Division and ‘Stockwell’s Force’ Flying Column, which spearheaded the advance towards Ath, in November 1918. Much admired by T.H. Floyd, an opinion not shared by Private Frank Richards of 2nd Royal Welsh Fusiliers, whose company commander he was early in the war. In his classic memoir 'Old Soldiers Never Die', Richards portrays him as the fearsome, pistol-toting martinet 'Buffalo Bill'. On the other hand, Stockwell played a major role in organising the famous Christmas Truce of 1914 on his part of the Front Line.

Clifton_Inglis_Stockwell.png

His son became an RWF officer too, but never got beyond Colonel if I recall correctly.  An equal martinet though.

Edited by FROGSMILE

2nd Lt. T.H. Floyd's diary, continued:

November 16th Saturday

Still cold, but fine. “A good job we’re not in the trenches!” exclaimed Sergeant Johnson to me. I agreed, and remarked that we had managed to finish the war just in time-before the winter was upon us. There was a Battalion parade at 11-45. Colonel Brighten informed us that in the DAILY MAIL of November 13 there is a long account of what the 2/5th Lancashire Fusiliers did during the last few days: it was the Battalion that fired the last shot in the World War. *

* This article,  written by W. Beach Thomas, with the by-line: 'With the British', was also the origin of the story that Private Edward Sullivan of 7th Cyclist Battalion, buried in Irchonwelz Cemetery, was the last British soldier to be killed before the Armistice. 

(Thanks to @Morance for additional information on this, and sight of the original 'Daily Mail' article)

Edited by Mark Hone