Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Irchonwelz Communal Cemetery, Belgium

Mark Hone

1 hour ago, Morance said:

Do you know if Captain Waterhouse has left photo's, files,  ... of his actions in Ath during 10th and 11th november ?

Sébastien,

I'm afraid that I do not know whether Captain Waterhouse left any personal papers relating to the advance into Ath.

There aren't any papers of his at the Imperial War Museum in London, so far as I can see. He does have a surviving service record held at the National Archives at Kew, London, under reference WO 374/72090 (which is quite unusual as many records were destroyed by a fire in WW2). The record has not been digitised, and is therefore not available online, only by a personal visit. I had a look at it when I visited Kew last year, but it is not very informative, I'm afraid. Apart from documents confirming the dates of his enlistment and promotion etc., most of the documents consist of medical reports in respect of a period of sick leave in the UK during the summer and autumn of 1916. 

Sorry that I cannot be more help.

Regards,

Tricia

2 hours ago, christiandup said:

Thank you very much, Tracy. I also think it’s very important to let young people speak. In any case, on October 17, I have some advice for them. My post 82 is a mistake (repeat 81). I wish I could erase it, but I can’t.

I’m sure one of them will help me.

Nice evening.

3 hours ago, A Lancashire Fusilier by Proxy said:

Sébastien,

I'm afraid that I do not know whether Captain Waterhouse left any personal papers relating to the advance into Ath.

There aren't any papers of his at the Imperial War Museum in London, so far as I can see. He does have a surviving service record held at the National Archives at Kew, London, under reference WO 374/72090 (which is quite unusual as many records were destroyed by a fire in WW2). The record has not been digitised, and is therefore not available online, only by a personal visit. I had a look at it when I visited Kew last year, but it is not very informative, I'm afraid. Apart from documents confirming the dates of his enlistment and promotion etc., most of the documents consist of medical reports in respect of a period of sick leave in the UK during the summer and autumn of 1916. 

Sorry that I cannot be more help.

Regards,

Tricia

Thanks a lot, Tricia, for your answer ;)

Edward Sullivan: now a path (between the canal and the station) to Ath bears his name. The grand opening is scheduled for October 17, 2022

Chemin Sullivan (3).JPG

Congratulations on the opening of the cycle path.

By the way, with regard to the accidental your post 82, I believe that, if you click on the three dots in the top right hand corner of the post, then click "Hide", and "Save", the post will not be publicly visible.

Regards,

Tricia

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to Christian and all of our friends in Ath for welcoming Bury Grammar School yesterday. We were honoured to take part in the different activities commemorating the events of 1918.

Hello everyone,

this is reportage of yesterday event on our local TV : https://www.notele.be/it61-media121840-ath-inaugure-le-chemin-edward-sullivan.html (in French)

See u soon !

PS : It was a pleasure to meet u again Mr Hone. Thank you to you and your collegua's !

• 2 weeks later...

On October 17th, 2022, professors and students from the Bury Grammar School were in Ath and Irchonwelz.

In Irchonwelz, teachers and students from the Bury Grammar School met their counterparts from the Technical School of the French Community (ITCF) Renée Joffroy. This school now occupies the estate of the former Château Hubert. It was in the castle farm that Lieutenant Floyd of 2/5 Lancashire Fusilers and his brothers in arms spent their last night of war from 10 to 11 November 1918. It was also in this same farm yard that students from both schools sang together “I’s a Long Way to Tipperary” link:

https://fb.watch/ghg1WJeM10/ (ITCF Irchonwelz)

Then professors and students from the Bury Grammar School headed to Ath to inaugurate Sullivan Road.

1 Ferme ITCF.jpg

2 Panneau 1918 Sullivan.pdf

October 17th 2022: following the tribute to the English soldiers killed in Ath and Irchonwelz less than 24 hours from the Armistice.

At the end of the afternoon, in the bell tower of St-Julien d'Ath church, the "carillonneuse" Chantal Mollet performed several songs of English origin including «Land of Hope and Glory». There are only 2 kilometers between Ath and Irchonwelz, a favorable wind may have taken these songs to the cemetery of Irchonwelz where all are buried...

Link: https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1494049831110711&__tn__=F

(Ath Info direct)

3 Carillon Chantal.JPG

4 Carillon  Ath.jpg

Thank you @Moranceand @christiandupfor your posts - it's so good to see people taking the trouble to keep these memories alive, and especially involving young people.

By the way, I've never come across a carillon before!

Thank you for keeping us all informed about your kind and thoughtful tribute to the soldiers who lost their lives in your home area during the Great War.  It is very moving and much appreciated.

Edited by FROGSMILE

We had a wonderful day. The students still can't believe that they appeared on Belgian TV! We were honoured to take part in the commemorations and rekindle the links between Lancashire and Ath. 

I would echo all of the comments; this is a bright, warming story on a dark wet evening. Well done to all.

Pete.

P.S. I didn't know about carillons either, so not only warming but educational

That is vaguely familiar from a long long time ago; I do like a bit of brass every now and then. Every day is a skool day, thanks Reg.

Pete.

7 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

I do like a bit of brass every now and then.

Really

October 17th 2022: continuation and end of the tribute to the English soldiers killed in Ath and Irchonwelz less than 24 hours from the Armistice.

Impossible to forget them because for several years they have been present !

Children of the Irchonwelz communal school and members of the choir « à coeur joie » sang: « Mademoiselle from Armentières » ….but in French.

Ecole communale d'Irchonwelz (1).jpg

3 minutes ago, christiandup said:

October 17th 2022: continuation and end of the tribute to the English soldiers killed in Ath and Irchonwelz less than 24 hours from the Armistice.

Impossible to forget them because for several years they have been present !

Children of the Irchonwelz communal school and members of the choir « à coeur joie » sang: « Mademoiselle from Armentières » ….but in French.

Ecole communale d'Irchonwelz (1).jpg

That makes me really smile.  I take it that the song was sang without any of the ‘naughty’ words used by soldiers??

2 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

That makes me really smile.

It raises a chuckle here too. Lovely irony.

Rest assured, they have taken the lyrics of the song performed by Line Renaud. Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Gr5xaKNQk8

Thank you, this story has been a bright light in some relatively dark times.  It has made my week.

I did not know about the Line Renaud version and rather enjoyed the rendition by the four, fetching young ladies at the tribute concert.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Hello, in front of "Chapelle Notre-Dame au Chêne" at Irchonwelz, near the place where 8 soldiers of 2nd/5th Lancashire Fusiliers were shot down by shells on 10th November 1918 : Mr. Christian Dupret and Mr. Mark Hone.

20221017_141737.jpg

Inside the Chapel : on left, Mr. Dupret ; on right, Mr. Hone

20221017_140024.jpg

In the chapel of Notre-Dame au Chêne d'Irchonwelz, there have been no religious ceremonies for five years. But the religious aspect of the building will be preserved both inside and outside. To this was added a small British memorial. Indeed, it was near this chapel that 8 soldiers of the Lancashire Fusilier were killed on November 10, 1918. We are still looking for a photo that shows the presence of British soldiers in Irchonwelz during the month of November 1918.

Thanks also to Jean who supervises the maintenance of the chapel.

IMG_0532.JPG

IMG_0574.JPG

Hello everyone, I was and I’m still impressed about all the history behind the chapel. Today, I went to the chapel and I rang the bell to honour the memory of the soldiers who died. I’m proud to be the neighbour of the chapel. 

Here is the link to see the little video !

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Ck0TPDnIlVv/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=