Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Flog It. Another flawed valuation.

trenchtrotter

I wouldn't expect anything better.  On yet another re-run tonight of an Antiques Roadtrip, that supercilious ****** Tim What'shisname (presumably even with the benefit of post filming voice over) referred to the Royal Lancastrian Regiment when one item was being bought, even though it had "King's Own" emblazoned in big letters on it.  I presume the rest of it said "Royal Lancaster Regiment".

His main point was that it is the modern day availability of online records that caused the increase in value for the pair.

Thousands of Great War medals have a modern day premium value by virtue of their being named to 1st July 1916 casualties.

This info wasn't freely available twenty years ago so his point is valid.

Dave 

8 hours ago, depaor01 said:

His main point was that it is the modern day availability of online records that caused the increase in value for the pair.

Thousands of Great War medals have a modern day premium value by virtue of their being named to 1st July 1916 casualties.

Dave 

Totally disagree.

The object of the exercise in this particular case was how each items value had altered over the years, he presented the pair as a 'typical 1st world war pair which everyone received'. By doing so he was being disengenious, no-one would have reached the correct conclusion given the parsity of information provided.

Also, came across as irritatingly smug.

1 hour ago, caulkheader said:

...'typical 1st world war pair which everyone received'.

Which it is in every respect bar the naming.

Dave 

10 hours ago, depaor01 said:

Dave 

Dave,  I am afraid that you are quite wrong on this fact. 

Ernest W.Bell published his book "Soldiers killed on the First Day of the Somme" in 1977 some 41 years ago. 

The book lists by Regiments/battalions all Officers and men killed on 1/7/16.  I bought my copy in 1979.

However you are quite right that the information is now more freely available on the internet--but it was generally available in 1980--you just had to work much harder to access it.

Robert

Edited by Old Owl

I've seen a national newspaper refer to the Royal Anglican Regiment in recent years...we must im afraid accept that not everyone out there is like us.  The level of military general knowledge is poor.  People will not do simple research.  Once you hoist all of that in, then blood pressure can be regulated if watching these programmes, which are really just a bit of fun.  Unlike antique dealers trying to sell Bath Stars for medal money - a pet hate of mine!