Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Flog It. Another flawed valuation.

trenchtrotter

My cousin & I have a collection of medals & memorabilia relating to our Gt. Uncle and we have decided that after we have both shuffled off this mortal coil that the collection should go to the regimental museum. That way it will stay together and our Gt. Uncles's memory will be preserved.

Some years ago, I can remember feeling quite indignant about family members selling off family medals and any associated military memorabilia, but now feel the exact opposite - probably because now I'm older (and sicker) I can understand the reasoning behind wanting to part with them, if no other family members are interested, plus the urge to just not have to keep, store or move so much 'stuff', or leave it all for executors to have to deal with, or thieves to steal for that matter. The medals are better off with a medal collector who will research and document them, if no heirs are interested and not everyone is interested in medals, or the family history associated with them. They're allowed not to be interested and it doesn't make them bad people, or selfish.

Theft, yes. That's what happened to my father-in-law's medals, but happily he wasn't at all bothered as he regarded them as bits of old tin. He wasn't a bad person either! Then there are the 'dealers' who push notices through doors and return to buy medals and memorabilia from vulnerable people, often the elderly widows of the medal holder, needing a cash infusion.

"What happened to the medal?" must be one of the most rabid causes of bitter arguments in families. In my husband's family's case, granddad and their adult children blamed grandma for selling grandad's missing Military Medal (out of spite / out of desperation / out of muddledness... depending on your sympathies). The feud raged furiously for two decades that I know of. Grandma was regarded balefully as feckless and betraying. After the death of everyone, sorting through possessions, we found it. Hidden behind a picture. :lol:

My cousin & I have a collection of medals & memorabilia relating to our Gt. Uncle and we have decided that after we have both shuffled off this mortal coil that the collection should go to the regimental museum. That way it will stay together and our Gt. Uncles's memory will be preserved.

Sally, I volunteer at a Regimental Museum, and we already, I suspect, have more medals than we can display. I hate to say it, but unless the medals have a specific significance (gallantry award, very rare campaign medal, regimental 'character'), the museum is probably not able to offer space.

I am one of three children and none of us are likely at this stage to have descendents. My mother photographed and kept photograph albums all through her life, obsessively, and we have a complete family history from about 1920 (before she was born) onwards for 88 years. As a snapshot of 20th-century life it's unique to us, but not unique generally.

We were in some ways unusual for our area in the 1960s (one brother adopted and non-white, me disabled and not parked in a long-stay home) but without the background information, who's going to know? I can't see that the albums/cuttings/family portraits will be of any intrinsic interest once we're gone, but all the same it sort of hurts to think of the remains of our story on a tip. But then I'm the sort of person who turns memory into story, and I find it as hard to discard a story as I do to bin a book.

Thank you Stephen & Graeme, we might have to have a re-think!

I would suggest you contact the museum in question and seek their advice. I may well be wrong, of course (it has been known). The fact you have memorabilia might make a difference (depending on what the memorabilia is, of course). Regimental Museums have limited space and limited funds, so - sadly - have to be quite picky about what they can accept. As Gareme pointed out, if a museum has too much "stuff", going down the Antiques Road Trip route might be quite attractive to them.

You might find a local history museum (if there is such a thing) might be interested (local boy in the war-type story).

But then I'm the sort of person who turns memory into story

There's your answer, seaJane - write your family history as a 'social history of [wherever]', with adoption, mixed race and disability experiences adding much to the uniqueness. Populated with plenty of images from these photo albums and your family story will live for ever more...

James

all the same it sort of hurts to think of the remains of our story on a tip. But then I'm the sort of person who turns memory into story, and I find it as hard to discard a story as I do to bin a book.

Just to elaborate, when I talked about putting stuff in the tip, it was completely useless and worthless items such as shopping lists on the back of envelopes. I know a social historian might make something of "Buy Eggs. Post letter." but I'm afraid they won't get the chance. I confess to throwing out the envelopes of ninety year old baby teeth, snippets of unknown dead Edwardian babies' hair and the skins of dead puppies (yes, really, to all of those) but they made me feel squeamish.

Our garage is still full of the rest. Letters, diaries, photos. As you say, stories to be told. Sadly some has been so badly stored that it isn't legible anyway.

TT,

Ref your 1/7/16 casualty it really depends on the Battalion if it has its plaque scroll etc. If all complete £1000-2000

Out of interest I sold an original Lonsdale Bn cap badge in 2014 for £250 to a dealer!

Well a original Lonsdsle cap badge could be £150. Violin £? Memorial Plaque and medals to one of the original Lonsdales very sought after even if missing star. Plus large portrait and ephemera. Makes me wonder what my 1/7/16 casualty trio would fetch? The 11th Batalion are well collected.

TT

There's your answer, seaJane - write your family history as a 'social history of [wherever]', with adoption, mixed race and disability experiences adding much to the uniqueness. Populated with plenty of images from these photo albums and your family story will live for ever more...

James

It's an idea, James ... I'd probably have to do that in secret, as I'm not sure how keen either of the brothers would be - we're quite alike in some ways, but we all react differently to the same stimulus.

Gwyn - good grief - no, we have nothing like that, thank goodness. It sounds straight out of Dickens; I'm relieved there was no spontaneous combustion involved!

sJ

I don't know what the situation is with museum artifact donations, I presume that 'donated' means giving them full title to the article which leaves them free to display/ not display, loan out or even sell.

Years ago I thought of offering a large museum some items to be 'on loan' and they told me "we don't take items on loan anymore, you have to donate them"

My wife has instructions that when I die, whatever I have is to be sold to collectors. No donations or gifts to family members.

khaki

My wife has instructions that when I die, whatever I have is to be sold to collectors. No donations or gifts to family members.

khaki

My daughters are already discussing which of them is getting the books ... on the basis that neither of them want them!

Mark it's a 1/7/16 to the Lonsdales. No plaque sadly.

TT

OK, give them to a child who doesn't care. What will they do with them, immediately. Think about the children he may not have and wait, or sell them?

I expect if they take after their selfish parent they may well do, or they may not. I can foresee in the future people searching on medal forums for their ancestors medals

which they last saw on an old flog it programme way back , but at least their ancestor who sold them got enough money for a meal out ( see # 10)

But then the risk is run that when the holder pops his (or her) clogs, someone bins the medals because they see no value in them.

Sorry; I have quite a few things which my great great grandchildren (should there ever be such things) might want, or might not want, but really I have no idea.

I agree with the premise that a collector who will research the medals and the men (or women) behind them is a better keeper of unwanted family heirlooms.

That is always a risk, but at least they have done the right thing and passed them on , they can't be responsible for others actions.

As always write a will and let the family know.

A cycling chum recently passed away, no close family. The distant relative popped up and went to give the cycle collection to the scrap man. Thing is he had a very nice bike there.....................£5 grand upwards in value. To the untrained eye, a very old cycle that was "old fashioned".

Knowledge is power(or money!)

Hi Sally,

I think that you have been given good advice by members regarding the medals and ephemera relating to your great uncle. Another suggestion is that you sell them via a local auction house which deals in this type of material, this way you should achieve a good market value. Once the collection is sold you could then split the proceeds between the regimental museum in the form of a donation and spend the balance on yourselves. This then solves and satisfies both aspects of your dilemma.

Hope this helps,

Robert

Nice idea Robert.

That is always a risk, but at least they have done the right thing and passed them on , they can't be responsible for others actions.

I suspect we'll agree to disagree on this one, but I can see where you're coming from. Perhaps I'm just too cynical :(

Steven,

The solution to your book collection 'dilemma' is that, when you feel you are really in your dotage, you bring them all to a GWF Conference, sell them all and spend the money in the bar buying everyone a drink! Daughter's don't have to decide what on earth to do with them, the books are spread amongst an appreciative audience and we all drink a toast to the Broomer... may he rest in peace...

Just an idea...

James

Many years ago I was offered the job of curator at Broughton House Salford ( had to turn it down too far to travel by public transport and am not a driver) the chap said to me we need someone to log all our donated items and "turn around" the items on display to show visiting relatives of the old soldiers who lived there that their donated artefacts were being kept and on display in various cabinets in the foyer , how many items they had stored away heaven alone only knows and when sadly old soldiers pass on the items donated would never be on show ever again I suspect . Always amazes me that when war footage is shown be it WW1 or WW2 of the many thousands and thousands of marching soldiers passing by on parade what happened to all the equipment rifles,helmets,flags,bayonets etc etc the men/women sadly long lost in battle regardless of allegiance.

" My children don't want them " - they may not have asked their children!!

I've related this before.

My mother and I visited a museum & out of the blue,without reference to me, asked the curator if he woud like my grandfather's plaque & medals. (My father's father.)

He glanced at me and told her they had quite a few plaquess, so that was that.

Kath.

Thank you everyone for your help and advice. Among the memorabilia we have is a letter that our Gt. Uncle wrote to his Father and Sister (my Grandmother) he mentions some of his friends who enlisted at the same time as he did and says 'tell Mrs Downward Jack is alright he is looking after an officer well away from the trenches, by the time you get this we will be having another go at the huns'. We don't know when the letter was written but Sam , our Gt. Uncle was killed on July 31st 1916 and Jack Downward was killed on June 16th 1918. So sad, but we are so lucky to have the items that were saved by our Grandmother.