Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gallipoli brothers

bobpike

Phil,

Excellent, thank you. I had Edward and Albert on my list, but not Frederick or Sidney, although I have got a photo of Sidney's grave.

Incidentally I also discovered at Netley a father who died and so too did his son at Gallipoli. Perhaps a base for a further search - fathers and sons who died, one or more at or a result of Gallipoli?

BEDDY-Lieutenant-R L--1st Bn.-z indian 5th Gurkha Rifles (Frontier Force)----04/06/1915-27-Son of Col. and Mrs. Beddy, of Budleigh Salterton, Devon---PINK FARM CEMETERY, HELLES-IV. A. 14

BEDDY-Colonel-E---z india 29th Punjabis----08/05/1919-----NETLEY MILITARY CEMETERY-Officers'. 2011

• 1 month later...

Hi Bob,

Not sure if you have the Clugston brothers:

KINGHOLM SOLDIER KILLED

Mrs Clugston, Kingholm Quay, as received a letter from Second Lieutenant Baird, Royal Scots Fusiliers, in which says: “You will have received official intimation ere this of your son, Private S. Clugston, Royal Scots Fusiliers (Lewis gun section), having been killed in action. I was his officer, and the brave lad was killed at his gun, shot through the brain. Death must have been instantaneous. We were in a very hot scrap, and I’m sorry say our losses have not been light. But we held on. Now we are out on a rest, and have received congratulations from Sir Douglas Haig downwards for our work. Our comrades-in-arms who have fallen, of course, share in the honour shown us. Your son was one of the best, if not the best man in my Lewis gun team — always willing — a novice in war with the grit of a veteran. I shall miss him. How much greater must be your loss —his mother! We laid him to rest just behind the trench had so gallantly defended, and I said few words ere we left him.”
Deceased, who had been a pupil of Brownhall School, was nineteen years of age lost month. His brother, who was a corporal the K.O.S.B., was killed in Gallipoli on 30th August, 1915. Another brother is serving in France, in an anti-aircraft gun section. (Dumfries and Galloway Standard 15 May 1918 p3).
CLUGSTON, Stuart. Private 41619, 2 Battalion Royal Scots Fusiliers. Died 29/04/1918, aged 19. No known grave; name commemorated on the Tyne Cot Memorial. Son of James and M. A. Clugston, of Kingholm Quay, Dumfries.
Brother killed at Gallipoli:
CLUGSTON, James Thomas, Lance Corporal 10127, 1Battalion King's Own Scottish Borderers. Died 30/08/1915, aged 25. No known grave; name commemorated on the Helles Memorial. Son of James Clugston, of Kingholm Quay, Dumfries.

Hi again Bob;

THREE BROTHERS KILLED.

Bombardier William Chrystal of Douglas-place, Kippen, Stirlingshire, was killed in action on June 26th. Two his brothers previously fell in Gallipoli and at Loos. (Lancashire Evening Post 20 Jul 1916 p4).

This would appear to be:

W Chrystal, 33772, Bombardier, "Y" 17th Trench Mortar Bty. Royal Garrison Artillery. Died 29/06/1916. Buried Citadel New Military Cemetery, Fricourt.
The brothers are:
CRYSTAL [sic], A. Lance Corporal 2161, 1st/5th Bn. Highland Light Infantry. Died 01/01/1916 Buried Alexandria (Chatby) Military and War Memorial Cemetery, A.87. [Note, however, CWGC's different spelling of surname, but he is the only one with name similar to 'Chrystal' to be a casualty of Gallipoli]
And this proves the CWGC have the wrong spelling!:
CHRYSTAL Died of wounds on the 1st of January, 1916, Alexandria, Egypt, received on the Gallipoli Peninsula, Grenadier Andrew Chrystal, 1-5th Highland Light Infantry, Kippen, aged 22 years; deeply regretted. (Stirling Observer 18 Jan] 1916 p5).
KIPPEN SOLDIER DIES OF WOUNDS
PRIVATE A. CHRYSTAL, H.L.I
Information has been received at Kippen that Andrew Chryistal, 1-5th H.L.I., has succumbed to his wounds in the General Hospital, Alexandria. He was 22 years of age. A baker by trade, he came over from Canada after the outbreak of the war and joined the colours. His brother, Corporal Robert Chrystal, 2nd Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders, was killed in the battle of Loos, while another brother, William, who is in the R.G.A., has been wounded twice in France. (Stirling Observer 22 Janu 1916 p3).
CHRYSTAL, R. [Robert] Lance Corporal 1879, 2nd Bn. Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders. Died 25/09/1915 Buried Cambrin Churchyard Extension.

Bryn,

My apologies for being so long in replying and thanking you for these brothers. my only excuse is that I've been in France living with variable internet access.

I did not have any of these and even better with all the information you provided, thank you,

Bob

• 2 months later...

SWIGGS-Able Seaman-RICHARD HAMBLY-199183-H.M.S. "Goliath."-Royal Navy----13/05/1915-41-Son of John and Catherine Swiggs, of Pelynt. Duloe. Cornwall---PLYMOUTH NAVAL MEMORIAL-6

SWIGGS-Private-A-26064-2nd (Garr.) Bn.-Oxford and Bucks Light Infantry----04/04/1917-29-Son of John and Catherine Swiggs, of Jubilee Hill, Pelynt, Duloe, Cornwall. Native of Tresawson, Lanreath, Cornwall---NOEUX-LES-MINES COMMUNAL CEMETERY-I. P. 23

HOPKINS-Gunner-E S-109566-119th Heavy Bty.-Royal Garrison Artillery----08/09/1917-37-Son of Arthur and Sarah Hopkins, of Station Rd., Verwood, Dorset---GWALIA CEMETERY-II. B. 20

Private-ARTHUR FRANK-10163-5th Bn.-Dorsetshire Regiment----21/08/1915-21-Son of Arthur and Sarah Hopkins, of Station Rd., Verwood, Dorset---HELLES MEMORIAL-Panel 136 to 139

HOPKINS-Private-HERBERT-1169-1st/9th Bn.-Manchester Regiment----19/06/1915-21-Son of Thomas and Martha Ann Hopkins, of 150, Oldham Rd., Ashton-under-Lyne---HELLES MEMORIAL-Panel 158 to 170

HOPKINS-Gunner-THOMAS-137283-"D" Bty., 113th Bde.-Royal Field Artillery----21/04/1918-21-Son of Thomas and Martha Ann Hopkins, of Ashton-under-Lyne, Lancs---CAESTRE MILITARY CEMETERY-I. A. 1

BELL-Private-ROBERT-18972-1st Bn.-King's Own Scottish Borderers----01/08/1915-21-Son of David and Janet Bell, of Boreland Cottage, Lockerbie---HELLES MEMORIAL-Panel 84 to 92 or 220 to 222

BELL-Sapper-D-32647--Royal Engineers----06/10/1920-30-Son of David and Janet Bell, of Boreland Cottage, Lockerbie, Dumfriesshire---HUTTON PARISH CHURCHYARD, DUMFRIESSHIRE-New ground. 53. East boundary

CAMPBELL-Trooper-JOHN CARNAGIE-9/802--NZEF Otago Mounted Rifles----29/07/1918-26-Son of James and Ann Campbell, of Limehills, New Zealand. Also served on Gallipoli---SEZANNE COMMUNAL CEMETERY-C. 41

CAMPBELL-Corporal-ARCHIBALD EDWARD-8/342--NZEF Otago Regiment----08/08/1915-26-Son of James and Ann Campbell, of Limehills, Southland---CHUNUK BAIR (NEW ZEALAND) MEMORIAL-14

A few more-

• 4 weeks later...

Not sure how I reached this post but lovely to find my 1st Cousin twice removed remembered here, have downloaded the certificate from CWGC (6419 Pte Frederick John STEWARD 1st Norfolk)

DENNY%20BROTHERS.jpg

I don't know if these brothers have been mentioned before (Search seems offline?) but here is a photo of their memorials in Kings Park Perth

Many thanks, I do have them on my database, but the photo you posted is excellent and appreciated very much.

Bob

• 1 month later...

NANCARROW-Lieutenant-VINCENT FOSBERY-7/688--NZEF Canterbury Mounted Rifles----04/08/1915-22-Son of Richard and Phillipa A. Nancarrow, of Christchurch, New Zealand,---PIETA MILITARY CEMETERY-B. V. 1

NANCARROW-Private-ALFRED-40390-1st Bn.-East Lancashire Regiment----28/10/1918-21-Son of the late Richard Nancarrow---VIS-EN-ARTOIS MEMORIAL-Panel 6

NEARS-Private-ERNEST-12/1116--NZEF Auckland Regiment----10/05/1915-30-Son of Charles and Eliza Nears, of 44,

Sunningdale Avenue
, Barking, Essex, England---ALEXANDRIA (CHATBY) MILITARY AND WAR MEMORIAL CEMETERY-C. 153

NEARS-Able Seaman-ALBERT-194978-(RFR/CH/B/3608). H.M.S. "Ebro."-Royal Navy----14/01/1916-35-Son of Charles and Eliza Nears, of Barking; husband of Alice Nears, of 125,

Ripple Rd.
, Barking, Essex---CHATHAM NAVAL MEMORIAL-16

NEILSEN-Private-VINCENT CHARLES-23030-No. 2 Coy.-NZEF Machine Gun Corps----10/12/1916-21-Son of Henry and Margaret Neilsen, of Otahuhu, Auckland, New Zealand. His brother Jack died of wounds received in Gallipoli---BOULOGNE EASTERN CEMETERY-VIII. C. 199

NEILSEN-Trooper-JOHN WILLIAM-9/979--NZEF Otago Mounted Rifles----03/09/1915-19-Son of Henry and Margaret Neilsen, of Young's Rd., Papakura, Auckland. Born at Ross, Westland, New Zealand---PIETA MILITARY CEMETERY-B. VII. 2

• 1 month later...

Hi Bob,

I believe you know about these soldiers but thought the following might be of interest:

ONSLOW

Lieutenant Miles Richard Beaumont Onslow, who has been wounded for the second time in the Persian Gulf operations, is the second of four sons of the late Col. G. P. C. Onslow, and of Mrs. Onslow, and grandson of the late Mr. William Donald, of Lisle House, Cheltenham. He is an officer of the 21st Prince Albert Victor's own Cavalry, Indian Army, and was severely wounded last April, but returned to duty. His youngest brother - Lieut. Brian Walton Onslow (O.C.), of the 11th K.E.O. Lancers, A.D.C. to General Sir William Birdwood  - was killed at the Dardanelles on July 21st [actually 28 July]. His eldest brother is Lieut.-Commander A. G. Onslow, D.S.O., of H.M.S. Milo, and the other is Capt. Eric M. Onslow, of the 2nd Warwicks, now a prisoner of war in Germany. (Cheltenham Looker-On 1 January 1916 p14).

CASUALTIES TO LOCAL OFFICERS. 

CAPT. M. B. B. ONSLOW. 

Capt. Milo Richard Beaumont Onslow, Indian Cavalry, who died on November 5th of wounds received in action in Mesopotamia, had twice before appeared in the wounded list. He was the second of the four sons of the late Colonel Gerald P. Onslow, R.E., and Mrs. Onslow, of Camperdown, Crowborough, and grandson of the late Mr. William Donald, of Lisle House, Cheltenham. He was born in March. 1888, joined the Army in January 1907, and reached the substantive rank of captain in January, 1916, after having held it temporarily for some months. He held the medal and clasp for the operations in the Mohmand country on the North West frontier of India in 1908. In the present war had been engaged in the operations against the Turks. He received his first wound in the Persian Gulf operations in April, 1915, and his second in the same field of war in November of the same year, but on each occasion recovered from severe injuries and returned to duty. He is the third brother to give his life in the service of his country, and the sympathy of her many friends in Cheltenham will be extended his widowed mother. Her eldest son, Lieut.-Commander Arthur Gerald Onslow. D.S.C., who was killed commanding H.M. torpedo-boat Onslaught during the battle of Jutland Bank; her second son’s death from wounds is recorded to-day; her third son, Capt. Eric Montague Onslow, R. Warwick Regt., is a prisoner of war in Germany; and her youngest son. Lieut. Brian Walton Onslow (O.C.), of the Indian Lancers, A.D.C. to Gen. Sir William Birdwood, was killed in action at the Dardanelles. (Gloucestershire Echo 8 November 1917 p4).

SHAW

Captain Raymond Pugh Shaw, M.A., 5th Royal Fusiliers, was the only surviving son of the late Mr. W. S. Shaw, of Madras, and 1 Royal Parade, Cheltenham, and Mrs. R. F. de Winton, of The Grange, Folkestone. He was educated at Harrow, Cheltenham College (1902-3), and Trinity College, Cambridge. He was partner with Mr. R. F. de Winton in a preparatory school at Gore Court, Sittingbourne, and The Grange, Folkestone, from 1911 to 1914. He secured his commission on August 15, 1914 ; a year afterwards he was transferred to the 2nd Battalion Royal Fusiliers, and sent to the Dardanelles, where he was killed on November 28. His only brother, Capt. H. J. Shaw, of the 1st Battalion Royal Fusiliers, was killed in France on Nov. 11, 1914. (Cheltenham Looker-On 1 January 1916 p14).

• 3 weeks later...

Belated thanks, Bryn, very interesting,

A few more brothers,

Bob

MOISEY-Deck Hand-H-1294/DA-H.M. Trawler "Japan."-RN Royal Naval Reserve----16/08/1915-----SHOTLEY (ST. MARY) CHURCHYARD-R.N. Plot. 54

MOISEY-Private-JOHN-1906-1st/7th Bn.-Manchester Regiment----04/06/1915-----HELLES MEMORIAL-Panel 158 to 170

LANE-Private-FRANK-40094-11th Bn.-Worcestershire Regiment-attd. 2nd Bn.-Gloucestershire Regiment--16/01/1919-22-Son of George and

Selina Lane
, of 220,
Sandwell Rd., West
Bromwich---HAIDAR PASHA MEMORIAL-

1618209-LANE-Rifleman-JOSEPH-R/3350-"C" Coy. 21st Bn.-King's Royal Rifle Corps----15/06/1917-24-Son of George and

Selina Lane
, of 220,
Sandwell Rd., West
Bromwich---YPRES (MENIN GATE) MEMORIAL-Panel 51 and 53

1758990-LANE-Private-MOSES HENRY-40130-7th/8th Bn.-King's Own Scottish Borderers----23/07/1918-20-Son of George and

Selina Lane
, of 220,
Sandwell Rd., West
Bromwich---SOISSONS MEMORIAL-

WOODHEAD-Corporal-CYRIL SAMUEL-1539-"B" Coy. 1st/6th Bn.-Manchester Regiment----31/05/1915-21-Son of Samuel and Annie Woodhead, of 6, West Grove, Brooklands, Cheshire---HELLES MEMORIAL-Panel 158 to 170

WOODHEAD-Private-ERIC JAMES-17272-"A" Coy. 20th Bn.-Manchester Regiment----01/07/1916-25-Son of Samuel and Annie Woodhead, of 6, West Grove, Sale, Cheshire---DANTZIG ALLEYBRITISHCEMETERY, MAMETZ-VI. J. 6

Not sure if you have these brothers on your database.

Sapper 47403 John Henry Day 13th Division Signal Company Royal Engineers. Reported missing August 9th 1915.  Helles Memorial.

Second Lieutenant  Hubert Francis Day  11th Battalion Royal Fusiliers  K.I.A. August 10th 1917. Menin Gate.

Sons of John Henry and Margaret Day 128 Robert Street, Milford Haven.

Bob

Bob and Julian,

Thank you very much for your information; I was aware of the Days and two of the Cottrells but not the one killed with the American forces. Also all the extra detail is most interesting and most welcome so I am extremely grateful,

kind regards

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Bob; I don't think you have this one yet, but if you do, maybe this will give some more detail:

MONTEITH, Major Henry John Joseph Laurence. 1st Lanarkshire Yeomanry.

Brother of Monica, of London.

Photograph in 'The War Illustrated' 12th February 1916.

Killed in action 27th December 1915 aged 39 years. Pink Farm Cemetery. 

Major Henry Monteith, J.P., 1st Lanarkshire Yeomanry, of Cranley, Carstairs, was born on August 10, 1876. He served in South Africa with his regiment, and after the war was private secretary to Mr Walter Long at the Local Government Board and in Ireland. In September last he went with his regiment to the Mediterranean. He was reported killed on December 27 in Gallipoli. He was the eldest son of the late Joseph Monteith, of Cranley, whom he succeeded in 1911. His youngest brother, Captain George Monteith, 3rd Gordon Highlanders, was reported missing, believed killed, on September 25 last. Three other brothers are serving in the Army. (Times 3 Jan 1916 p8).

THE MONTEITHS. The death from wounds of the Rev. Robert Monteith, S.J., while acting as chaplain at the front, recalls the old associations of the family with Glasgow, perpetuated in the name Monteith Row. About the middle of the seventeenth century James Monteith lived on his small estate near Aberfoyle. Refusing to pay blackmail to Rob Roy, Mr Monteith’s property was thrice pillaged by the Macgregors. Determined not to yield, he came to Glasgow with his son and three daughters. The latter were immortalised in the rhyme; Jenny the ruffles, Maggie wi’ the buckles. And Nannie wi’ the cork-heeled shoon. His grandson, James, was the founder of at least some branches of the cotton trade in Scotland, and the family’s enterprise was rewarded with wealth. Henry Monteith, M.P. for Lanark, great-grandson of the bold defier of Rob Roy, purchased the estate of Carstairs — subsequently acquired by the late Sir James King, Bart. — and his grandson, the late Joseph Monteith of Cranley, Carstairs, was father of the worthy chaplain who has given his life in his country’s service.—“ Glasgow Evening Times.” (Hamilton Advertiser - Saturday 19 January 1918 p5).

Monteith, Captain George Michael

Date of Death:25/09/1915

Gordon Highlanders, 3rd Bn. 

YPRES (MENIN GATE) MEMORIAL Panel 38.

Son of Joseph Monteith, of Carstairs.

The Rev. R J [Robert John] Monteith

Chaplain 4th Class

Date of Death: 27/11/1917

Army Chaplains' Department, attd. 70th Army Field Artillery Bde. Royal Field Artillery

RIBECOURT BRITISH CEMETERY I. D. 11

Son of Joseph Monteith, of Carstairs, Lanarkshire.

Regards,

Bryn

Edited by Bryn

• 2 weeks later...

Bryn,

Yet again thank you, Bryn. I did have them, but more information is always welcome

kind regards

Bob

On 25/10/2016 at 19:00, trajan said:

Fantastic information on the Cottrell Brothers. Makes amazing reading and such a sad loss for the family.

I actually took a golf ball with me in 2008 and buried it near the spot were I thought they had been killed

SM

• 2 weeks later...

Julian,

A very appropriate act of remembrance, well done.

Here are a few more brothers -

UNSWORTH-Private-JOHN-14394-10th Bn.-Loyal North Lancashire Regiment----28/04/1917-----ARRAS MEMORIAL-Bay 7

UNSWORTH-Private-JAMES-5017-5th Bn.-Connaught Rangers----12/09/1915-18-Son of Joseph and Mary Jane Unsworth, of 82, Fairclough St., Burton Wood, Newton-le-Willows, Lancs---EMBARKATION PIER CEMETERY-Sp. Mem. D. 45

GREENALL-Private-J-G/31553-7th Bn.-Royal West Kent Regt. (Queen's Own)----27/08/1918-----BERNAFAY WOODBRITISHCEMETERY, MONTAUBAN-I. 2

GREENALL-Lance Corporal-GILBERT-G/11560-2nd Bn.-Royal Fusiliers (City of London Regt.)----22/08/1915-19-Son of Henry William and Hannah Greenall, of

Lyon St.
, St. Helens, Lancs---HELLES MEMORIAL-Panel 37 to 41 or 328

HALSALL-Private-THOMAS-11493-6th Bn.-South Lancashire Regiment----10/08/1915-26-Son of John and Mary Halsall, of 54,

Glover St.
, St. Helens, Lancs---HELLES MEMORIAL-Panel 139 and 140

HALSALL-Private-JOHN-20489-Depot-South Lancashire Regiment----03/12/1917-----ST. HELENS CEMETERY-9. CE. 27

STANTON-Private-A-12026-6th Bn.-South Lancashire Regiment----09/08/1915-----PORT SAID WARMEMORIAL CEMETERY-B. 13

STANTON-Private-WILLIAM-21156-11th Bn.-South Lancashire Regiment----03/07/1916-26-Husband of Mary Ann Prescott (formerly Staton), of 50,

Hills Moss Rd.
, Sutton, St. Helens, Lancs---DIVE COPSEBRITISHCEMETERY, SAILLY-LE-SEC-II. C. 13

BURGESS-Private-ARTHUR-1712-1st/7th Bn.-Manchester Regiment----20/05/1915-----HELLES MEMORIAL-Panel 158 to 170

BURGESS-Corporal-E A-143324-17th Bn.-Machine Gun Corps (Infantry)----26/04/1918-----VARENNES MILITARY CEMETERY-II. D. 2

FOX-Serjeant-EDWARD-10832-6th Bn.-South Lancashire Regiment----09/08/1915-39-Husband of Emma Fox, of 4,

Whitby St.
, Tue Brook, Liverpool---HELLES MEMORIAL-Panel 139 and 140

FOX-Corporal-T-2887-6th Bn.-South Lancashire Regiment----23/11/1915-45-Son of Patrick and Ann Fox, of St. Helens; husband of Ellen Fox, of 22, Doctors Nook, Leigh, Lancs---HILL 10 CEMETERY-II. D. 14

FRIPP-Lance Corporal-GEORGE-G/1367-2nd Bn.-Royal Fusiliers (City of London Regt.)----30/12/1915-20-Son of George and Priscilla Fripp, of 30, Reservoir St., Thatto Heath, St. Helens, Lancs---HELLES MEMORIAL-Panel 37 to 41 or 328

FRIPP-Second Lieutenant-JOSEPH HARRY--12th Bn.-Royal Fusiliers (City of London Regt.)----12/03/1918-24-Son of George and Priscilla Fripp, of 30, Reservoir St., Thatto Heath, St. Helens---ST. HELENS CEMETERY-2. NC. 330

• 2 weeks later...

Bob: in case you don't have them -

DERRY FAMILY’S HEAVY BEREAVEMENT

Mr. and Mrs. Hegarty, Ebrington Street, Derry, have been notified of the death in action at the Dardanelles of their son, Private James Hegarty, of the 1st Inniskillings. This is the third son Mr. and Mrs. Hegarty have lost in the present struggle, Robert having been killed at the Dardanelles and William in France. Two other sons are with the colours, Thomas at the Dardanelles and Joseph in France with the R.F.A. They all answered the call at the declaration of war. (Belfast News-Letter - Thursday 16 December 1915 p10).

Edited by Bryn

Bryn,

Thank you very much, these are NEW to me! I'm most grateful for your help, can you confirm that these are the three brothers, please?
Bob

HEGARTY-Private-WILLIAM-4698-2nd Bn.-Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers----16/05/1915-----LE TOURET MEMORIAL-Panel 16 and 17

HEGARTY-Private-R-4398-1st Bn.-Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers----22/05/1915-----TWELVE TREECOPSE CEMETERY-Sp. Mem. C. 217

HEGARTY-Private-JOHN-24154-1st Bn.-Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers----03/11/1915-----HELLES MEMORIAL-Panel 97 to 101

Hi Bob,

Had to do a bit further digging because it wasn't obvious at first whether the three you named above were 'them.' The original article referred to 'John' as 'James,' but all other sources give 'John.'

It seems they are the ones, but there's a fourth as well, and a brother-in-law:

A record of heroic service in the national struggle is provided by the family of Mr. and Mrs. Hegarty, Ebrington Street, who have just been advised of the death, at the Dardanelles, of their son, Private John Hegarty, 1st Battalion Inniskilling Fusiliers. This is the third son Mr. and Mrs. Hegarty have lost since the out-break of hostilities, Private Robert Hegarty having been killed at the Dardanelles, and Private William Hegarty in France. Mr. and Mrs. Hegarty's two other sons are also with the colours, Thomas being at the Dardanelles where he was wounded, and Joseph in France with the Royal Field Artillery. All five boys responded to the call fight the battles of their country shortly after the declaration of war. (Derry Journal 15 December 1915 p3).

DEATH OF MR J HEGARTY, WATERSIDE 
HAD ELEVEN SONS IN BRITISH ARMY 
An outstanding record of service with the British Army, embracing three campaigns, is held by sons of Mr. Joseph Hegarty, whose death took place yesterday at his residence, la, Lower Ebrington Street, Waterside, Derry. 
One of them, Pte. Patrick Hegarty, saw service with the Royal Inniskilling Dragoons in the Boer War. Seven served in the 1914-18 war, in which four lost their lives. Joseph, who served with the Royal Field Artillery, died of wounds received in action; William (Inniskillings) was killed in Flanders and John and Robert, who also served with the Innisklllings, lost their lives at the Dardanelles. The others who served in the Great War were James (R.I.R.), Edward (R.E.), and Thomas (Inniskillings). The last-named is now residing in Canada. 
Three of his sons — Cpl. Charles Hegarty (King’s Own Liverpool), Pte. Peter Hegarty (South Staff Regt. and late of the Inniskillings), and Driver Henry Hegarty, R.A. (who is in Canada) are serving at present. 
Pte. P. Blessing, a son-in-law of deceased, was also killed at the Dardanelles. The late Mr. Hegarty was employed for over thirty years at the Lisahally works of the Ulster Manure Coy., before commencing business as a carter. (Derry Journal 24 January 1941 p8).

HEGARTY - January 23, 1941, at his residence, la, Lower Ebrington St., Waterside, Derry, Joseph Hegarty (carter), beloved husband of the late Elizabeth Hegarty. - R.I.P. Funeral arrangements later. Sacred Heart of Jesus, have mercy on his soul. Queen of the Most Holy Rosary, pray for him. (Derry Journal 24 January 1941 p1).

I wasn't able, after a quick search, to locate the brother-in-law 'P. Blessing'; nor to pin down Joseph Hegarty of the RFA. Might take a bit more work!

Edited by Bryn

Than you, Bryn, but a bit of a mystery here,

1. Patrick Blessing killed in 1917 number 10711

Military Year:-1914-1920

Medal Awarded:-British War Medal and Victory Medal

Regiment or Corps:-Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers

Regimental Number:-10711

Previous Units:-10711 Pte 2 R. Innis. Fus

Patrick Blessing

Regiment:-Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers

Regimental Number:-10711

Death Date:-30 Nov 1917