Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

M1 & M2 prefix - ASC

ss002d6252

So it seems Motor Driver fitters could have the prefix M2 or M. I have their Army Records.

All of the 'M' prefixes seem to be drivers (and associated skills) - MS, M1, M2 etc.

They seem to have started out with good intentions of M1 for 1st New Army etc and then quickly changed how the men were numbered and where they were sent.

Craig

So.........What about M3 and M4 then ? or haven't we got there yet ?

Sorry, didn't mean to rush you, suspense is killing me.

Tomo

According to Young, they discontinued using numbers in the prefixes in November 1917 and only used the basic T, S, R amd M designators.

All the best,

Gary

So.........What about M3 and M4 then ? or haven't we got there yet ?

That might have to wait until I've finished putting my kitchen installation finished.

M3/ numbers start to overlap with M2/ in Nov/Dec 14 and run side by side whereas M1 appears to stop in Nov 14.

Craig

Ok, there have been M4 numbers discovered too. do the dates tie up with K4 ?

Tomo

Craig,

What is your source for the dates you are assigning to the prefixes? Have you been spending a lot of time on ancestry? However you are doing it, you are turning up some interesting information! I wasn't aware there were M3 and M4 prefixes.

All the best,

Gary

Craig,

What is your source for the dates you are assigning to the prefixes? Have you been spending a lot of time on ancestry? However you are doing it, you are turning up some interesting information! I wasn't aware there were M3 and M4 prefixes.

All the best,

Gary

Find My Past service records - it's a pain though as it doesn't like '/' in the service numbers.

The M3 ones I'm going to look again to double check the transcription though just to make sure.

Craig

Craig,

Fascinating! You are certainly investing a great amount of time in this. My understanding was that the WWI service records were on Ancestry. Good to know that FMP also has them. Have you tried searching the MICs for M3 and M4 prefixes? This would narrow your search. If any exist, I suspect they are transcription errors but who knows?

All the best,

Gary

Craig,

Fascinating! You are certainly investing a great amount of time in this. My understanding was that the WWI service records were on Ancestry. Good to know that FMP also has them. Have you tried searching the MICs for M3 and M4 prefixes? This would narrow your search. If any exist, I suspect they are transcription errors but who knows?

All the best,

Gary

I've not looked at the MIC's yet .

Just checked one of the (few) M3/ records and it's definitely an M3 ( a further page also shows M3)

post-51028-0-59281700-1455020746_thumb.j

Craig

This man, however, M3/131114 is also shown as M2/131114 on later forms. The date he was at Grove Park, 8/10/15, would fit the M2/ sequence.

post-51028-0-20952100-1455021479_thumb.j

I'm beginning to think the clerk who wrote it out either had a very odd '2' or the prefix was added to the record by a different man.

Craig

http://discovery.nat...col=200&_hb=tna

The above are links to a National Archives search for M3 and M4 ASC prefix, posted by Kevron on another thread. Enjoy !

There are 636 M3 No.s recorded here and 352 M4 surely not all transcription errors ?

Tomo

So far, I'm not convinced that 'M3' is a real prefix and that it's nothing more than a record keeping error as almost all of the 'M3' prefixes also have other records showing 'M2'.

That being said, I need to look at more to get a better picture.

A lot of 'MS/' prefix records have been mis-transcribed as 'M2' and 'M2' when you get a look at the service records.

Craig

Craig,

The problem with the MIC searches are that they turn up both the "M3/" and "M/3...." prefixes. The same applies for the "M4/" searches. Then you need to filtre out the ones that don't apply.

All the best,

Gary

Craig,

The problem with the MIC searches are that they turn up both the "M3/" and "M/3...." prefixes. The same applies for the "M4/" searches. Then you need to filtre out the ones that don't apply.

All the best,

Gary

Aye, that's the problem.

The above are links to a National Archives search for M3 and M4 ASC prefix posted by Kevron on another thread. Enjoy !

Tomo

First one I found with a service record for the 'M3' prefix using that link

W T Eykelbosch , M/A MIC shows

post-51028-0-28110200-1455023227_thumb.j

Service record shows

post-51028-0-37172100-1455023245_thumb.j

Craig

You could use the Discovery "export results" to produce a CSV download and then filter further in Excel or similar.

You could use the Discovery "export results" to produce a CSV download and then filter further in Excel or similar.

Thanks David - I'd forgotten all about that function.

Craig