Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Shrouds of the Somme figurines

Skipman

Lets face it

It is a commercial enterprise under the banner of various charities as was the poppy sell of

Is there any evidence to support this assertion?

Is there any evidence to support this assertion?

More than happy to be found wrong

• 3 weeks later...

'Till the Devil whispered behind the leaves, "It's pretty, but is it Art ?" '

Seems to me that much "art" these days is sheer bad taste, and the best thing we can do is to ignore it.

But to be fair, perhaps the scale of the cumulative effect of nearly 20,000 of these things will have an impact, though that will be totally lost if the collection is broken up and scattered.

I find the idea of art being 'good taste' or 'bad taste' intriguing. In making a judgment of that sort about art, the speaker usually wishes to demonstrate that he or her has the education and social class to know whether a piece is 'good' art or 'bad' art. The sort of art people declare that they find in good taste, choose to hang on their walls or wear on their bodies is therefore a sign of their educated taste and discrimination. Few people think they are going to alienate their peers on the GWF by declaring that this installation (which they haven't yet seen) is in bad taste. It's also a rather lazy opinion.

Isn't it possible to say why it doesn't appeal? I find the concept somewhat derivative but I won't repeat what I said in the other thread.

Gwyn

I find it easier to take more seriously if it wasn't for how the project describes itself in its Twitter profile:

"An unique art project inspired by the battle of the Somme commemorating the 19,240 men who fell on the first day of battle on 1st July 1915".

https://twitter.com/thesomme19240

A silly slip, but the account's been there for two years and I know it's been pointed out to them.

Cheers,

GT.

• 3 months later...

If you thought the poppy's were expensive

post-45309-0-53648600-1463684747_thumb.j

Framed individually named £99.00

Frames unnamed £59.00

Unnamed £29.00

I make no comment

Regards Ray

Maybe the thread can be merged. I'm still uneasy with the whole thing, from a 'good taste' point of view. My great uncle Norman Farnhill was one of the casualties 1/7/1916. I won't be spending £99, or £30 on one, though I do donate what I can to my chosen charities. They could do German ones and double the money.

Mike

Absolutely horrible and an insult both to those who died and those who survived, yet another way of making profit from the fallen, complete garbage :devilgrin:

I missed the earlier thread on this so that first post came as a shock.

I know its for charity but goodness me how creepy those figures are. For me 'bad taste' barely does them justice - macabre and horrid would be my description.

David

Find the figures rather sinister, find the whole concept weird.

Simon

I have to admit to respecting the mans work and how much effort went in to it, however, I think the figures are a little macabre.

Trev

I agree with Simon.

The figures are now on sale.

I wouldn't want one of these to commemorate the memory of a family member, even as a gift. As for paying that amount of money ...

Moonraker

I missed the first thread completely;

For me these figurines are far too perfect and as such unrepresentative of the physical pain and mental anguish of those who lost their lives

But then again, maybe I think too much

Not keen on the figures, anyone loading photos for there appeal

• Admin

Personally I find them grotesque, they look like Barbie dolls wrapped in cloth.

Michelle

I would go so far as to describe this as appallingly bad taste both in concept and execution. I am at a loss as to why any charity would want to become involved in such a project unless they only looked at the money that could be made. It is an insult to the men who died IMHO.

Sadly, I find the whole thing representative of most of the 1st July bandwagon-jumping: mawkish, tasteless and tacky.

Not keen on the figures, anyone loading photos for there appeal

I hope not

I would go so far as to describe this as appallingly bad taste both in concept and execution. I am at a loss as to why any charity would want to become involved in such a project unless they only looked at the money that could be made. It is an insult to the men who died IMHO.

Could not agree more

Regards Ray

• 1 month later...

My elder daughter went to see these in Exeter today (they were displayed on the Cathedral Green), and she sent me some photos (I'll try and upload them later). I have to say I was more impressed than I thought I would be: Emily liked them and there was quite a crowd.

It is always possible I'm weakening (mellowing, even), but judging by the crowds in the picture, this initiative has attracted quite a few Devonians to come and see - and (one hopes) ponder the meaning.

Pictures as promised.

Shrouds%201.jpg

Shrouds%202.jpg

I don't post much on the forum, but I think this work as an Artist in response to WW1 is ok.

He's stitching 19240 shrouds to remember the soldiers who died on the first day of the Somme, that's not a small task. As an artist, 100 years after the event, how do you make art work about that time?

I don't know about the costs of the selling of the pieces and the charity breakdown, but if you work you should get paid, if you would like to have one then buy it.

Peter