Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Shrouds of the Somme figurines

Skipman

There was some chat here about it: http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=235599&hl=19240#entry2356044

The project website is http://www.thesomme19240.co.uk

I spoke to their PR today and pointed out the errors on the website (thank you to Martin G and others for their input). She was genuinely grateful. Sadly, some local news organisations (the BBC included) are already spreading the myths that they got from the project's site.

Edit: The BBC website has been amended today and no longer includes the '20000 in the first 4 hours' statement.

In your defence it was part of a a hijack of the Prayer/Thought for Today thread. Thanks for bringing it out in to the open. As I said on/in the other thread:

I support commemoration and thus commemorating the 19240 British deaths of the 1st Day (according to the website the 19240 are the "men and women from across the world who gave their lives ...on July 1"). But I don't need 19240 action men wrapped in bandages in order to understand that scale of the deaths. And without context they are just a load of lumps of plastic that will probably end up in landfill.

But: If you look at the website you will see a number of organisations that are listed as supporters of the project. I work for one of those supporting organisations (part time) and I have a role in coordinating some of the support that is being given to it.

• Admin

I don't think I will be buying one, cant see the appeal. Will they be as popular as the Tower of London Poppies?

Will the proceeds go to charity?

Mike

Yes I believe so

As with the ceramic poppy's less commercial expenses (and the fingers in the pie)

Regards Ray

Will the proceeds go to charity?

Mike

Yes, a mixture of charities including some service charities.

Yes I believe so

As with the ceramic poppy's less commercial expenses (and the fingers in the pie)

Regards Ray

I think there are precious few fingers in any pies.

And they will be available for purchase after the event

Mmm

Regards Ray

What % will be sold do you reckon? I say no more than 5% (1000).

Yes.

So no fingers in the pie

Will there be snouts in the trough

Regards Ray

I think your being overly cynical.

• Admin

Personally, I think that they're rather creepy. They remind me of voodoo figurines.

Me too Mark, I don't like them either.

That's an understatement.

I don't like them, but at least they are doing something and the money will find a good home!

Personally, I think that they're rather creepy. They remind me of voodoo figurines.

Ditto.... but , as said, if the money goes to a good cause then all's well and good I suppose. (They could always be used as Halloween decorations later too!)

Mind you, though I don't like them, I think I prefer them (and especially the overall display) to those ceramic poppies. I don't know why, but they really made me cringe! (Never liked ceramic flowers since being a kid and thousands of them all together made my teeth itch!!!!)

Dave

So no fingers in the pie

Will there be snouts in the trough

People who invest in these projects take a financial risk. Why shouldn't they get return on the use of their money? I really don't get why sponsors, investors and charities themselves are so often expected to do everything for nothing.

In projects of this sort, the charities will gain significantly from the fact that some people chose to sponsor the installation. Of course, some sponsors may choose to gift their sponsorship, but it's easier to assume that everyone who made the installation possible did it in the dishonourable pursuit of money.

Gwyn

if the money goes to a good cause

Herein lies the problem - 'the' money doesn't, some money does, and the amount that does is the key issue when things are being sold under the banner of "good causes" - a voodoo doll for £10 when 1p from each goes to good causes, does that work for you?

Gwyn is right, investors take a risk, and need rewarding, likewise artists who think things up need to earn something (although the prestige and future commissions resulting from the ToL Poppies might be considered reward enough), but it is the scale of the reward, so they guy investing £1m for the poppies doubling his money is, from my perspective, too high a reward for the risk he took. His taking a 30% profit instead would have given a further £0.7m to good causes...

James

- a voodoo doll for £10 when 1p from each goes to good causes, does that work for you?

Well...no it doesn't, but, as I wouldn't even dream of purchasing one anyway the cost, cause and percentages is totally irrelevant to me personally anyway. I seriously suspect ,though, that the percentages would be irrelevant to many of the purchasers anyway.... many, like was the case with the poppies I'd think, will be buying just for the sake of 'having' one. The actual underlying 'cause' (and, therefore, any concern over the percentage of money that actually made it to that cause) would therefore be secondary.

Dave

Gareth Davies, on 28 Jan 2016 - 8:48 PM, said:

That's an understatement.

overly cynical. If that's the hat I have to wear, Ill wear it

Lets face it
It is a commercial enterprise under the banner of various charities as was the poppy sell of

Were we not led to believe that the money raised from the sell off from the poppy sale was going to good causes

No mention then of investors profit's, artists fees, vat payable, to the government ect
This only come to light later

Ok so various charities benefited although not as much as they should have

If you wish to give to charity cut out the middlemen and donate direct They will then receive the full amount donated

There is no need to buy a wrapped up doll and have only a small percentage of the money you paid for it going to various charities

Personally I think they are in bad taste That is of course only my opinion
and I'm sure there will be soldiers buried on the Somme battlefield that will be turning in their graves at the thought of it

Fast forward a year or before and they will be appearing on Ebay
I can just see it now For Sale Somme figurine No 17569 Gunner S Milligan 2nd Bn Deserters Regiment £ 125.00

Regards Ray