Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

webley mk6 date mark? or patent?

jimmy9fingers1

To M1917 revolvers in .45acp

Khaki,

Two superb American classics, and close relatives to the WW1 .455 calibre versions, and in excellent condition with great grips.

I have a Webley Mk.VI which was converted from it's original .455 calibre to .45 and uses the 6 round .45 calibre loading clips, which can be seen in the attached photograph.

Great to fire in .45.

Regards,

LF

post-63666-0-61871300-1450465509_thumb.j

Hello LF

I am not a holster collector as such, but I do like to have examples of belts holsters, pouches, bandoliers etc, most of these have ended up in a foot locker and very seldom see the light of day. I am always intrigued by the slight variation in contours and attachments of the .455 Webley holsters and a few Webley examples are the only ones that I keep out.

thanks for the comments,

khaki

MkII Webley Navy Marked, always had trouble photographing this one because of reflection issues, even now in low light the barrel shows a color reflection which looks like a 'heat' mark which I can assure you is not there. Large BA on top strap & naval N & number on back strap.

khaki

post-29707-0-33367200-1450557882_thumb.j

Not a great example but the style of holster for the M17

An interesting holster, and note the ring at the base, presumably for the American style tie cord, used to secure the holster to the wearer's leg.

Regards,

LF

khaki,

Another very nice Webley, the Mark II ( your's also being Naval issue ), which went into production following a Government contract awarded to Webley in April 1896.

Although the Webley Mark I looked visually similar to the Mark II, there were some noticeable differences, as can be seen on your Mark II, and which I have marked on the attached photograph of a Webley Mark I.

The Mark II was fitted with a new Mark II hammer, which was more robust and substantial than that on the Mark I, the Mark II's larger hammer being more suitable for cocking when using gloved hands, as was often the case with the Cavalry.

Also, the ' Prawl ' or hump on the rear frame immediately above the grip, was removed on the Mark II to give a continuous smoother curve to the frame/back strap contour, this being done to lessen the impact felt on the hand during firing recoil.

You may want to look closely at your Mark II, which may show the addition of a star ( * ) to the Mark, which will indicate other later modifications.

Regards,

LF

post-63666-0-19099300-1450562764_thumb.j

Hello LF,

Definitely no sign of any 'star', on the MkII, so I guess not modified,

khaki

khaki,

The Mark II, also had a different modified Trigger Guard to that on the Mark I.

Regards,

LF

So I see, I hadn't noticed that, thanks for pointing it out, I don't know how best to describe the difference, but as with the hammer it looks more robust whilst the earlier trigger guard and hammer has a more elegant appearance.

regards

khaki

Here is another interesting rig from my Collection, an ' Audley ' holster, this one made for the British 5.5 inch barrelled Colt ' New Service ' revolver in .455 calibre.

Audley's safety holster incorporated an internal steel spring clip, which when the revolver was fully inserted into the holster engaged the trigger guard thereby securing the revolver in the holster and preventing the revolver from accidentally falling from the holster or being pulled from the holster by an opponent during a fight or scuffle.

It is however, easy for the holster's wearer when drawing the revolver from the holster to use their extended index finger as their hand grips the revolver, to depress the spring clip which releases the revolver and enables it to be easily drawn.

Here are some photographs of the ' Audley ' holster carrying a British military Colt ' New Service ' revolver in .455 calibre, plus an article on Frank Audley and his ' Audley ' holster design.

" The Audley Safety Holster Company was established in the early 1900s, prior to 1905, by F. H. Audley who had previously been a Saddle, Harness and Boot maker. These were trades he had learned early in life as a young boy and developed over 30 in the Saddlery and Harness business.

Having started his own saddlery business in New York, at 2557 Third Avenue (Near 139th Street), in approximately 1876 and operating until 1885, F. H. Audley closed his business and went into business with Mr. P. H. Comerford remaining in Saddlery, Harness & Boot making. In 1891, Frank H. Audley went back into business himself and although making quality saddlery and boots, he struggled over the next 10 years until the turn of the century.
In the early 1900s, F. H. Audley moved his shop to 8 Centre Market Place, across from Police Headquarters and it was at this time he starting getting a lot of exposure to Police equipment. From this time, F. H. Audley filed many patents for various pieces of Police equipment which he developed and sold to many of the New York City Police Officers that utilized he services from his accessible location.
The most famous of these inventions was the Audley Safety Holster which F. H. Audley applied for patents in 1912 and they were approved October 13, 1914. The holster incorporates a spring loaded steel catch in the body of the holster which securely holds the pistol in place by securing the trigger guard. It can only be released by using the index finger to depress the catch. It is virtually impossible for anyone other than the person wearing the holster to do this. No other retaining strap is required.
They were popular with many officers in WW1 and were also used by many American Police Departments. The Audley Company was taken over by the Folsom Arms Co., which in turn was absorbed by the Cortland Bootjack Co, and eventually became the JayPee holster company. Francis H. Audley Died in May of 1916. "

LF

post-63666-0-43745200-1450628089_thumb.j

post-63666-0-31299900-1450628114_thumb.j

post-63666-0-65378500-1450628187_thumb.j

The Audley's internal steel spring clip securing the Colt's trigger guard, and the ' Audley ' holster's embossed maker's mark.

LF

post-63666-0-79333800-1450628331_thumb.j

post-63666-0-80854100-1450628393_thumb.j

• 3 years later...

I have a webley mark VI serial #355754.    Has a lot of markings and the year 1918 stamped on it.  Where can I get more information on this revolver.

• 4 weeks later...
On 16/06/2019 at 03:03, hectorroque said:

I have a webley mark VI serial #355754.    Has a lot of markings and the year 1918 stamped on it.  Where can I get more information on this revolver.

Welcome to GWF!

What information do you need? It will help to see the markings.