Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

webley mk6 date mark? or patent?

jimmy9fingers1

Another of my Webleys, a rare Mk.IV in .38 calibre with a 5 inch barrel in excellent live-firing all original condition with deep Webley bluing and beautiful custom Burrwood grips with brass inlaid ' Webley ' logo plaques.

LF

post-63666-0-00599900-1450284536_thumb.j

When I started work in a bank as a 16 year old, the bank was armed with an odd collection of surplus handguns, they were all Webley RIC models, the Chief Cashier had a Webley Wilkinson .38 and the guard had a Webley Mk3 in 38 caliber (pocket model). I would love to know who sold them that package. The Webley Wilkinson was beautiful and was engraved with an army officers name.

khaki

Always nice to see your collection LF, interesting pieces.

regards

khaki

When I started work in a bank as a 16 year old, the bank was armed with an odd collection of surplus handguns, they were all Webley RIC models, the Chief Cashier had a Webley Wilkinson .38 and the guard had a Webley Mk3 in 38 caliber (pocket model). I would love to know who sold them that package. The Webley Wilkinson was beautiful and was engraved with an army officers name.

khaki

Always nice to see your collection LF, interesting pieces.

regards

khaki

khaki,

I also used to have a nice Webley just like your's, and still regret letting a fellow collector talk me into selling it to them.

Regards,

LF

Hello

From this book, could you give the first ( 01 ?) and last number for 1915 ?

Mine is # 167230 dated 1915 and .15 on top left barrel.

Thanks

1915 Low 153000 high 228393

In addition to the .455 Service Revolvers, British Officers also carried the smaller calibre pistols, including the .32 calibre.
Here is another pistol rig from my Collection, a rare British Officer's 1916 Harrington & Richardson Type 1 .32 calibre. semi-automatic self-loading pistol.
Produced by the American arms company of Harrington & Richardson, under Licence from Webley and Scott, production of the .32 pistol commenced on 20th April, 1916, with only 34,500 being produced.
This particular pistol has the extremely low serial number of under 300, and was one of the initial production of the Type 1 pistol, with only 1760 Type 1's being manufactured.
The Type 1, is identified by the 12 finger grip serrations cut into the rear of the breechslide. Starting from serial number 1761, these serrations were increased to 16, and are known as the Type 2 version.
The Harrington & Richardson .32 pistol is slightly larger than the Webley and Scott version, is considered of superior construction, and has certain features not included on the Webley and Scott pistol. The most noticable being the absence of a hammer, as the Harrington & Richardson pistol is a striker fired pistol, with the firing mechanism contained within the pistol's frame. Another enhancement, is that in addition to the conventional safety lever, there is also a grip safety lever fitted to the rear of the pistol's handle. There is also a cartridge indicator, in the form of a small pin projecting through the top surface of the breechslide when a cartridge is chambered, none of these additional features being included on the Webley and Scott .32.
Although manufactured in America, this particular pistol has no American markings, and only has British Proof and Inspection marks.
This pistol has the original Type 1 nickel-plated 8 round magazine with a flat topped cartridge platform, which does not extend above the magazine casing. On later Type 2 magazines, the cartridge platform extends 1.5 mm above the magazine casing.
The trigger is casehardened metal, and the mint condition black plastic grips show the Harrington & Richardson logo.
The pistol's dimensions are length - 6.5 inches. Height - 4.5 inches. Barrel length - 3.5 inches and weight - 22 ounces.
The pistol has its all original blued finish, with a pristine bore, and is in full live-firing working condition.
This .32 calibre pistol's original brown leather holster is British Maker Marked, and is a very rare item in it's own right.
LF

post-63666-0-06401300-1450299514_thumb.j

post-63666-0-26479900-1450299553_thumb.j

post-63666-0-53434800-1450299587_thumb.j

post-63666-0-23216100-1450299630_thumb.j

1916 MkVI Webley with unidentified marking

khaki,

Another nice Webley.

I cannot see any British or Colonial Regimental Mark that match with ' C.L.A. ', and it could of course be the initials of the former owner, which would be really nice, or perhaps after it was sold out of service, the initials of a commercial company who used the Webley for security staff, such as with a Bank, Railway Company or Shipping Line ?

Regards,

LF

Very nice pistol rig LF, is there any known pedigree to it, either maker or owner ?

khaki

khaki,

The Harrington & Richardson .32 Semi-Automatic Pistol's holster/case is maker marked to ' W.R. PAPE ' of Newcastle Upon Tyne.

Regards,

LF

Hello LF,

I am guessing that the small auto & Sam Browne rig probably belonged to a 'General' officer, I would have thought that only someone with that rank could have worn one as a Sam Browne sidearm without being challenged by higher authority, I am aware that many officers carried similar pistols as 'backup' weapons but usually concealed.

regards

khaki

Here's a S&W .455 1st Model (Triplelock) that I created a display to be entered at a S&W Collectors Association Symposium.

I received much help from several members here on my research. Pete Starling provided me with copies of a number of pages

from the 9th FA War Diary, Barbara Janman and Chris Baker's sites allowed me to explain just how the RAMC functioned during WW1

I received much help from Australia.in the form of contact with the Doctors family via Lina Stunden and her book (soon available) on Kitchner's 100.

The theme of the Symposium was "If this Old Gun Could Talk" and I was awarded the trophy for the best display.

http://www.swtriple.info

post-29707-0-63353100-1450323085_thumb.j

FN M1900 Browning in service with the Belgian army as a holster pistol, also very popular with (British) officers as a backup weapon. No too sure whether Siegfried Sassoon carried that or the 1910.

khaki

Here's a S&W .455 1st Model (Triplelock) that I created a display to be entered at a S&W Collectors Association Symposium.

I received much help from several members here on my research. Pete Starling provided me with copies of a number of pages

from the 9th FA War Diary, Barbara Janman and Chris Baker's sites allowed me to explain just how the RAMC functioned during WW1

I received much help from Australia.in the form of contact with the Doctors family via Lina Stunden and her book (soon available) on Kitchner's 100.

The theme of the Symposium was "If this Old Gun Could Talk" and I was awarded the trophy for the best display.

www.swtriple.info

No image my friend, I am looking forward to seeing it. please try again,

khaki

Nice collection of revolvers and pistols. Unfortunately many collectors in the U.K. will go the de-act route as it took five months to acquire mine under S.7 (1) and the nearest place I can hold one under S.7(3) is an hours drive away. Up to 1995 I had twelve in regular use. - SW

FN M1900 Browning in service with the Belgian army as a holster pistol, also very popular with (British) officers as a backup weapon. No too sure whether Siegfried Sassoon carried that or the 1910.

khaki,

Another nice pistol from your Collection, with the FN M1900 being the first mass produced self-loading pistol to be made in .32 calibre.

Regards,

LF

It is a website and I'm not sure just how to set up a link here.

Super nice Smith & Wesson Hand Ejector ' Triple-Lock ' in .455 calibre, and rare, being one of only 5,600 made.

Regards,

LF

Here is my WW1 Colt .455 calibre ' New Service ' revolver's rig, with one of my favourite revolver holsters/cases, the ' suspended ' example, which hangs from brass spring clips attached to the Sam Browne ' D ' rings.

This American made Colt .455 Service Revolver with a 5.5 inch barrel, was issued in 1916, and was part of a 60,000 revolver contract Colt had with the WD.

This rig, also has the correct WW1 ' Colt ' manufactured lanyard, and again, this Colt .455 calibre revolver is in excellent original live-firing condition.

LF

post-63666-0-71277700-1450359773_thumb.j

post-63666-0-40033200-1450359853_thumb.j

post-63666-0-41792000-1450359906_thumb.j

post-63666-0-57932700-1450359953_thumb.j

For those interested in the ' Colt New Service ' revolvers, I would highly recommend Timothy J. Mullin's superb reference book ' Colt's New Service Revolver ', which is packed with excellent information and a host of great photographs.

LF

Here is my S & W Hand Ejector Mk II 0.455 in. Still in really nice condition with it's colour case hardened hammer and trigger retaining its original finish. It is complete with the manufacturer's certificate which used to cost 100 USD from the S & W archives, I don't know whether you can still get them. It shows the delivery date to the Remington Arms - UMC Co. N.Y. who acted as agents for the British Army, May 18th 1916. The unit price was $14.50 of which Remington got 5% plus 1/-. The contract was terminated in 1917 due to the needs of the U.S. Army. Alas now a de-act but nicely done.. -- SW

SW.

Lovely example, and a pleasure to shoot in .455 calibre., a totally different feel to it than both the Webley and the Colt .455s

Regards,

LF

L.F. - One of the o.455's I owned was an Enfield made Mark VI dated 1924 marked to the R.A.F. which was given to me by a gentleman who had been issued it in his role as a pilot of a Mosquito bomber. The action and finish were superior to the War-time production and I found it the best of the service revolvers altho' I still preferred the Colt 1911. I used the 220 gn Mk IV bullet with 4.0 gns of Bullseye in the revolvers. I did not get on with the S & W because I found the narrow neck of the butt uncomfortable with a full power load in rapid fire. The Colt New Service in contrast had a long reach to the trigger and a heavy pull. I have short fingers which perhaps highlighted this. The best of all the revolvers for me ( as opposed just to the classics) was a cased presentation S&W Model 29/1 in 0.44 Magnum with a eight -inch barrel. This had a really smooth action with that slight check just before the sear disengaged which seems a characteristic of S & Ws. and enabled one to harden the sight picture as the gun fired. With a 240 gn bullet and the load reduced to give about 900 ft.sec, equivalent to .44 special - Loved it!. SW

L.F. - One of the o.455's I owned was an Enfield made Mark VI dated 1924 marked to the R.A.F. which was given to me by a gentleman who had been issued it in his role as a pilot of a Mosquito bomber. The action and finish were superior to the War-time production and I found it the best of the service revolvers altho' I still preferred the Colt 1911. I used the 220 gn Mk IV bullet with 4.0 gns of Bullseye in the revolvers. I did not get on with the S & W because I found the narrow neck of the butt uncomfortable with a full power load in rapid fire. The Colt New Service in contrast had a long reach to the trigger and a heavy pull. I have short fingers which perhaps highlighted this. The best of all the revolvers for me ( as opposed just to the classics) was a cased presentation S&W Model 29/1 in 0.44 Magnum with a eight -inch barrel. This had a really smooth action with that slight check just before the sear disengaged which seems a characteristic of S & Ws. and enabled one to harden the sight picture as the gun fired. With a 240 gn bullet and the load reduced to give about 900 ft.sec, equivalent to .44 special - Loved it!. SW

SW,

The Enfield is a really nice revolver and well made, and you are also perfectly correct regarding the ' Colt .455 ', as although the WW1 455s the Webley, Colt and Smith & Wesson all look similar, they are all very different to handle, particularly the Colt .455, the Colt's grip feels much larger than the other two, and as you say, the Colt's trigger feels further away and has a heavier pull.

Regards,

LF