Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What does this bayonet fit?

msdt

Chris,

Your 4th photo from the top (the scrubbed ricasso) appears to show an oval (which contains some stamping) that lays along the long axis of the blade.

Is this any better revealed by oblique viewing/oil/water/chalk, or is it purely imaginary?

Regards,

JMB

I believe on that photo is on side still visible letter P from Plumb,the oval looks like done by refurbish.

3 hours ago, AndyBsk said:

I believe on that photo is on side still visible letter P from Plumb,the oval looks like done by refurbish.

It may be a the top of the P as Andy says, that was my interpretation

The "oval" is an artifact of the polishing marks I think - nothing meaningful there.

Chris

• 4 weeks later...
On 08/11/2015 at 11:22, shippingsteel said:

Been pondering some more on this ... another thing to consider is the German issue of non-standard & foreign bayonets during the GW simply as seitengewehr (literally side-arms)

There are many references in the books to these 'export' type bayonets being taken out of stores, as well as existing contracts being filled at the start of the war being requisitioned.

It is hard to comprehend exactly how (and why) they would have been used as 'side-arms' until you actually see the photos. It appears that they had a need for them & a shortage.

A classic example that comes to mind was a nice photo posted by 4thGordons on his German Uniforms thread where a Staff Officer is shown wearing a Mexican M1912 bayonet.! :w00t:

Cheers, S>S

post-52604-0-00030900-1446978058_thumb.j

This is not a Mexican 1912 bayonet, but an export bayonet for Siam, manufactured by Weyersberg, model 1888.

Beznazwy-1.jpg

Yes I think you are correct. It appears these export bayonets to suit the M1888 Rifle were still freely available and used as needed, as shown here by a Landsturm soldat. However in this case the rifle appears to be the M1871 Mauser to which it could also attach.

german_landsturm_soldier_with_siamese_m1888_bayonet.jpg.a978a710afc40061487653d106d85e45.jpg

https://worldbayonets.com/Bayonet_Identification_Guide/Germany Ersatz/landsturm_soldier_with_gewehr88_and_siamese_bayonet.html

Cheers,  SS 

Edited by shippingsteel

These bayonets were probably never delivered to Siam, but were purchased by Army in early war period, from various firms dealing with arms.

Hallo Andy,

Some part of the contract went to Siam. This is confirmed by bayonets with Siam numbers /"worms" stamped on the pommel and sometimes the Siam coat of arms placed on the crossguard. (photo)

Best Rafal

Siamese Type d.jpg

Yes visible on replacement wood of handle.That should be already a siam wood area.

Edited by AndyBsk