Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

CWGC confirms that John Kipling is buried in the correct grave

Ronan McGreevy

There is a Cité St-Auguste near lens as well...

That makes more sense! :blush: I should have known better, as we have spent more time on Lens and Hill 70 than most places! I should have thought back to circa 1915 not 1917.

A lot of the times they name the POW camp if there was one so maybe this is a case that he was found and buried by the Germans and he was not a POW. In the end, it does not matter as he is accounted for but a good lesson learned - check all the names!

Martin wrote: To my mind this whole story is about standards of proof and really has little to do with Kipling.

Absolutely correct. The Parker/Legg article takes up 12 precious pages of Stand To! to make a poor case that the body is Lieutenant Kipling. If this were a book review I would also be criticising the text on grounds of readability, layout and several other matters.

They do not focus on the weaknesses of their case: the GWF has in the pages above.

Kipling junior had only a very few days in which to put up rank, given he knew he was a 2Lt when he asked for a new disc. Kipling senior, many years after the war, made no claim in the battalion history for Lt rank in the account of the battle. Parker/Legg are confused [putting it politely] re. pay and gratuities, and make the common mistake of attributing current practise to the past. The pay issue is totally inadmissible as evidence.

In my opinion a much better [though less media-attractive] approach would be to eliminate 2Lt Law as a candidate. Has anyone bothered to research the Fd Amb and CCS records if indeed the lad lingered for three hours?

Turning from the article to the matter of rank, probationary and temporary.

Most of the IG cohort being discussed and listed were Special Reserve officers. It was normal pre-war for such to be probationary until made substantive in 2Lt rank and commission. This had to be particularly so in war, as many of these mere lads would have had either Cadet military training or none. In the line infantry, their promotion would be on the establishment of 3rd [sR] battalions, and if serving with a regular battalion, they could make startling progress compared with their regular colleagues. Robert Graves was one such, but it happened all the time. The Foot Guards had no Special Reserve battalion, relying on their massive regular reserve for men, and the old-boy net for officers. Hence Kipling.

I was clearly wrong about "temporary lieutenants" being non-existent, although correct that there was usually no need for any except to allow the filling of posts demanding Lt status [adjutant is the prime example]. It is strange that the CWGC records acknowledge none. Perhaps every such death was assumed by the CWGC to be a Lt with a temporary war commission, an easy mistake to make as both sorts were annotated with an asterisk in the Army List. As for "acting", no.

So, leave aside the "Kipling" burial, and get to the bottom of the Law case.

We have been advised here in Canada that Norm Christie is going to post his 1992 report on the Kipling matter to his web site ( http://battlefields.ca). We were told this Monday but there is nothing there as of today - Friday. For those that are following this matter, I would read the Holt's details on this part of the case ( Location 5059 if you download the Kindle e-book as did I). Once you read that section of their book you will be wondering why the Parker family published their article in the first place. The Holt's had the all the details except the October 2015 confirmation provided by the Canadian McPherson case.

I have been in contact with the Holt's on several occasions since our posting in October 2015. If I understand them correctly, they do not have any additional information that would assist in confirming the location of 2nd Lt. Law. Unfortunately in Canada we do not have access to the War Diaries other than by on-line purchase and so we leave that to the skilled researchers of the GWF - please keep us posted on what you find in the medical war diaries.

You can get the conclusions of the Holts in My Boy Jack - click here. (you need to scroll up a few pages to start reading the relevant bit)

As far as I can see the current book is a re-print of the 2007 edition

I do not think that much has changed from the Holts' work nearly 10 years ago concluded that the grave has not proven to be Kipling's "beyond reasonable doubt"

One would hope the the "celebrity" factor is not giving Kipling's grave different vriterea of proof

The ADMS war diary and No.4 Field Amb and No.9 Field Amb diaries are reasonably detailed and run to thousands of pages. For the period in question here are a few notes:

27th Sep 1915

No. 3 FA Haillicourt, then moved to Sally La Bourse

No. 4 FA Noeux Les Mines

No. 9 FA Houcjin, then moved to Sailly la Bourse

Advanced Dressing Stations:

No.3 FA ADS at Brewery in Le Philosophe. Clearing Post at Fosse No.7

No. 4 FA ADS at Chateau at Vermelle. Clearing post at Le Rutoire Farm

No. 9 FA ............................................. Clearing Post as Fosse No. 7

Motor Ambulances ran for 24 hours between Loos and the ADS Hoe and Motor Ambulances cleared all casualties back to Vermelle

Usual routine of registering names at the ADS had to be discontinued

ADS then cleared by Motor Amb convoy to CCS

28th Position unchanged

No. 3 Field Ambulance diary is fairly thin. Describes setting up in Le Philosphe. No appendices.

No. 4 Field Ambulance, in support of 2nd Guards Brigade (including 2nd Bn Irish Guards) managed to maintain records of Officers they treated (see below). Interestingly it only mentions one Irish Guards Officer (Sassoon) but does include Officers from six different battalions. This suggests that units were very mixed up.

No.9 Field Ambulance recorded the numbers but no names

The diary bundles are massive and may well contain more info . If anything else comes up I will add. My over-riding sense having spent a few hours reading the ADMS and Field Ambulance diaries is that there was a massive evacuation process moving many hundreds of men from the Loos area back towards Vermelles. The road was a constant convoy of motor and horse drawn ambulances shuttling back and forth for 24 hours. I can now quite easily see how casualties manage to end up 4-5 km further West of the battlefield. The ADMS looked pretty well organised and they record that despite the mass of casualties their system worked smoothly. For example Le Rutoire Farm was completely cleared of casualties by Motor ambulances.

Incidentally there are pages of these casualty statements. The observant will notice that 2 Lt Sassoon was indeed still a 2nd Lt according to the No.4 Field Ambulance that dealt with him. He was commissioned and gazetted on the same date as Kipling. This document (below) is hard evidence that these Officers had not put up rank as the Fd Ambulances were simply recording what they saw. MG

MG

post-55873-0-52511500-1454110887_thumb.j

post-55873-0-74335800-1454111268_thumb.j

So, leave aside the "Kipling" burial, and get to the bottom of the Law case.

I am with Grumpy on this one.

The Canadian research has proven conclusively that the recovery unit made an elementary error in recording the grid reference.

The proposition that Kipling was 'made up' before going into action has been pulverised by the weight of evidence posted in this thread.

Absent a Lieutenant of the Irish Guards missing in action, the inference that the recovery unit made yet another error in its recording process is compelling.

A couple of questions:

Does anyone have access to Law's NA file? Unlike Kipling posted as missing, there was absolutely no equivocation about the death of Law - his sister even secured probate for his estate in less than three months following his death.

What other remains were recovered at 36.c. H. 25. c. 5. 4. ? (the location of the 'Unknown British Officer')

According to my notes to the Holt's I posted this to the GWF back in December, perhaps the 8th. Are these the documents you are looking for noted above?

To continue on now with the Kipling story, it is possible that we have also identified the location of the remains of Lt. Law, for as you recall he was reported to have been buried south Chalk Pit Woods, north of Loos. During the Canadian search for the Unknown we have kept a watchful eye for British Officers found in this sector and a perfect match for Lt. Law came up yesterday. These remains are in the Loos British Cemetery Plot 8 Row A Grave 1. There is no "smoking gun" in terms of it being a 2nd Lieutenant or a member of the Irish Guards, we only know it to be an Unknown British Officer that was found at 44A.H25.c.5.4 and if there was a better find it would have had to have been on top of this Unknown Officer. I have added his coordinates (purple) to what we previously showed for the Kipling candidate (green) (map).

The related files are as follows:

·

Graves Registration Report Form

Concentrations of Graves

I have all the records for the Loos British Cemetery which you can download as a PDF here:

Richard Laughton's CWGC Binders

I am going to start another hare running.

Having waded through the casualty reports from the Guards Division ADMS and Field Ambulances three things are very clear:

1. Battalions and Brigades became very mixed. Officers from various Brigades and Divisions ended up in the same Field Ambulances as battle casualties.

2. Thousands of casualties including dozens of Officers were moved up to 5 km from the scene of their objectives. In fact the vast majority of serious casualties were moved even further back.

3. The casualty clearing was continuous, particularly along the lines of evacuation from Loos to Vermelles/ Le Philosophe by a constant convoy of ambulances.

Looking at the Guards Division's casualty returns the one Lieutenant missing whose body has no known grave was Lt Sutton Welsh Guards. The 1st Bn Welsh Guards objectives were just south of the chalk pits, adjacent to the 2nd Bn Irish Guard's objective. If Sutton's body had been recovered, sans hat (and cap badge) the only means of identification would be uniform details. The Welsh Guards had buttons in rows of five. If we accept that the GRU make mistakes, it is equally possible that five (corroded) buttons were recorded as four and a Lt Welsh Guards becomes a Lt Irish Guards.

If we accept H becomes G or one pip becomes two pips, we might consider the possibility that five buttons was counted as four and the uniform/regiment was not properly identified. If all possibilities are to be considered, this one might be worth exploring if only to eliminate him as a possibility. Just a thought. MG

Edit Exhumations. For anyone wanting to better understand the grisly details of exhuming hastily buried bodies, there is a very detailed example in Fifteen Rounds a Minute: The Grenadier Guards at War 1914 by Michael Craster. Lord Killanin sets off to find his dead brothers' body - Lt Col George Morris Irish Guards - in Villers Cotterets. Lt Col Morris fell in early September 1914 and by November it was back the British/French hands. With the help of some locally hired labour exhumed 98 bodies. Just under half could not be identified even after less than three months. The story is nor for the faint-hearted but is worth reading in order to understand just how rapidly bodies, equipment and clothing decay. The graves contained the remains of Officers and men from a number of Guards regiments and many could not be identified. MG An abridged extract of Killanin's account reproduced here under UK copyright fair dealing clause for non-commercial research purposes;

My dear deVesci, In response to your request that I should send you an account in writing of what was done in the neighbourhood of Villers Cotterets in France in our search last week for the remains of ‘Missing’ Officers who, it was thought, had fallen in an engagement there on 1st September, 1914, I send you the following record of my experiences;......
......Villers Cotterets in the early afternoon to commence our search. About two and a half miles from Villiers Cotterets on the right hand side of the road leading to Vivières and about thirty yards in from the road and in the midst in all directions of a forest, we came to the grave which we had heard of and wished to examine. It had a cross over it and some evergreen wreaths on it, and on the cross there was an inscription in French to the effect that there were 20 English buried there. But this information was evidently taken from purple pencil writing in German on a tree hard by. It was rather illegible, and it was impossible to see whether the figures as to the number buried there were 20 or 200. It turned out that neither number was correct. The grave, or more truly pit, was about 25 feet long and 12 feet wide, and before dusk that evening more than 20 corpses had been disinterred by the six men working for us. And as it was manifest that many more corpses were there, we decided to greatly increase the size of the grave so as to have room to lay the bodies out. In the original grave the bodies were huddled and entangled just as thrown in anyhow, one after the other. The next day the work of extricating corpses from the pit was continued, and, although over sixty bodies were disinterred and examined, no officer was found among them, but a number of discs were removed from soldiers’ bodies.
The following morning Mr Briggs and I returned to the grave, and when nearly 80 bodies had been exhumed, the remains of Lt. Geoffrey Lambton of the Coldstream Guards were found. From various signs– the open jacket– collar etc.,– it was at once evident that the clothing was that of an officer, and, on lifting the body out of the pit and placing it on the surface of the ground, the disc of G. Lambton, Coldstream Guards, was found on the neck. Soon after the remains of Captain Tisdall of the Irish Guards were discovered and his disc found on him.
The next officer whose remains were come upon had no disc on and his long riding boots were gone, but it was clear from the buttons and clothes that it was the body of an Irish Guards officer. As by that time my brother was the only Irish Guards officer unaccounted for after the engagement near Villers Cotterets, and, from the general shape of the figure, I could see that these remains must be his, and any possible uncertainty was removed by finding on one of the wrists and hidden by the sleeve his small gold watch with his name on it. His remains were then placed alongside of those of Lambton and Tisdall. Very soon afterwards, the remains of another officer were found. The buttons showed that it was the body of a Grenadier, but no disc could be found on the body, but we were of opinion, from the description of George Cecil’s figure supplied to us and especially from the size of the boots, that it was his body and this was confirmed by finding on the front of the vest the initials ‘G.E.C.’ which we cut off. As a memento for his mother we took three buttons off his uniform. His remains were placed beside those of the other officers.
We then disinterred the few remaining bodies at the bottom of the pit and ascertained that the total number of bodies– all British– buried there was 98 (4 officers and 94 men): and, since we had examined each corpse for discs or other evidence of identity, we had at the end 24 discs of Grenadier soldiers, 17 of Irish Guards, 8 of Coldstreams and 1 belonging to Mark Darking of the East Lancashire Regiment [part of 11 Brigade]. A few books were also taken off soldiers’ corpses and the names and numbers, where decipherable, recorded. The others bodies we were unable to identify : and in no case was it possible to identify a body by features– hair, teeth, as owing to the length of time (two and a half months) since burial and to the manner in which these dead had been treated, the faces were quite unrecognisable, often smashed, and were all thickly coated with clay and blood.
In the afternoon the bodies of the 94 soldiers were laid out in the enlarged grave, and, since many of them were Roman Catholics, M. Le Doyen Grain-blot, the Roman Catholic Dean of Villers Cotterets came out with Mr Briggs and myself at our request and said prayers for the dead by the graveside of the soldiers and over my brother’s remains, and Mr Briggs also said prayers for the dead by the soldiers’ grave: and the bodies of the 94 soldiers were then covered with earth. The bodies of the four officers, lying beside one another on the surface close by, were covered with leaves for the night, and we returned to Villers Cotterets, after motoring hurriedly round by Puiseux and Vivières in order to see the British graves there and especially Hubert Crichton’s.
..... On my return to London, I gave lists of the Guardsmen whose discs or books had been found on their bodies, at the Headquarters of the Grenadiers, Coldstream, and Irish Guards in Wellington Barracks, and the Colonel of the Coldstream kept the 8 discs of the Coldstream soldiers. The other soldiers’ discs and Captain Tisdall’s I left at the War Office. The three buttons of Cecil’s uniform and the initials off his vest and also Lambton’s disc I handed to Lord Robert Cecil, and I gave my brother’s watch to his widow. A button taken off Tisdall’s uniform I gave to you. Irreparable as is the loss suffered by the death of these officers and soldiers and awful as the work of exhumation was, it is to me an abiding consolation –which I hope it will also be to the other relatives and to the friends of these officers and men– to know that their remains were rescued from an utterly unknown grave and a most indecorous burial, and have been laid to rest under the circumstances described, when everything possible was done to show respect and reverence and affection and honour to their glorious and loved memories. Believe me, Yours very sincerely, Killanin.
First published in Fifteen Rounds a Minute: The Grenadiers at War, August to December 1914, by Craster, Michael.

Martin, well done and all power to your elbow.

I suggest the "buttons in fours" [or indeed fives] is not relevant because, as the account above reminds us, officers' buttons were regimental.

I had lost sight of this fact. It changes nothing except [probably] the GRU were less likely to get regiment wrong even without button grouping, cap badge or rank stars.

If only Jack Kipling had not lost his ID ........... but then the thrill of the current chase would be denied the Forum.

I

Looking at the Guards Division's casualty returns the one Lieutenant missing whose body has no known grave was Lt Sutton Welsh Guards. The 1st Bn Welsh Guards objectives were just south of the chalk pits, adjacent to the 2nd Bn Irish Guard's objective. If Sutton's body had been recovered, sans hat (and cap badge) the only means of identification would be uniform details. The Welsh Guards had buttons in rows of five. If we accept that the GRU make mistakes, it is equally possible that five (corroded) buttons were recorded as four and a Lt Welsh Guards becomes a Lt Irish Guards.

If we accept H becomes G or one pip becomes two pips, we might consider the possibility that five buttons was counted as four and the uniform/regiment was not properly identified. If all possibilities are to be considered, this one might be worth exploring if only to eliminate him as a possibility. Just a thought. MG

Oh Martin, you are a rascal ! ....... but you are absolutely right and that is the kind of lateral thinking required to help identify possibilities and to sift the evidence.

The link to the exhumation report that Richard (Laughton) has kindly posted confirms that the 'Unknown British Officer' was 5 feet 6 and a half inches in height and had big upper teeth.

It would be interesting to compare that with the exhumation report for the remains in the Kipling grave.

The Sutton, Kipling and Law service files would also be interesting to review for any physiological data.

.............................For the record, the claim that there is no G.25.c is ridiculous. A simple example - consider the following letters:

a, b, d, e, f, g

Conclusion: You will note from the letters above that there is no longer a letter "c" in the english alphabet.

Text deleted as post quoted has been removed from the topic. Keith Roberts

Hello. its been suggested that a couple of points should be clarified.

Firstly ref your statement that:-

“For the record, the claim that there is no G.25.c is ridiculous. A simple example - consider the following letters: a, b, d, e, f, g

Here is a copy of the bottom left hand corner of the relevant 1:10,000 trench map which includes square reference G.25.

post-108219-0-93536800-1454164157_thumb.

Could you just point out where this claimed sub-square G.25.c is ? (That would be no, wouldn’t it, because there is no grid square G.25.c at this juncture in the British trench mapping system. There’s a G.25.b and a G.25.d, but there is no G.25.a or G.25.c. Hopefully that’s clear). – And before anybody else with a limited knowledge of the British trench map system shouts out – “well obviously G.25.a and G.25.c. will be on the sheet immediately to the left”, - no they are not. The abutting squares to the left (west) of G.25.b and G.25.d. are L.30.a. and L.30.c. – Here are the two relevant maps edge to edge –

post-108219-0-93680000-1454164199_thumb.

“For the record, the claim that there is no G.25.c is ridiculous ..” is quite simply wrong. There is no G.25.c. where its being claimed on the Loos battlefield – isn’t now, and never has been. (nb - It’s a bit surprising here, on a forum where so many claim knowledge of British trench maps, and so many are following this topic, that not one single person has stepped forward to correct this assertion that “the claim that there is no G.25.c is ridiculous” – and even more surprising that not one single person seems to have had the wit to look at the relevant trench maps and just check whether there is or is not a G.25.c. in the place the Canadians claim there is one ! – That in itself probably says a lot about what is going on here).

It is probably best if it is recorded quite unambiguously that the map reference irregularities being referred to were fully set out at a meeting at the CWGC offices in Maidenhead 6/8/2015 (and the information revealed was being discussed in detail with third parties four weeks later). Your claim that your pointing out these errors to the Commission 26/10/2015 or some other later date was some new revelation is quite simply wrong, and the manner in which you, and others, have aggressively propounded your take on the issue has been quite distasteful.

Edited by Keith Roberts
policy

Martin, well done and all power to your elbow.

I suggest the "buttons in fours" [or indeed fives] is not relevant because, as the account above reminds us, officers' buttons were regimental.

I had lost sight of this fact. It changes nothing except [probably] the GRU were less likely to get regiment wrong even without button grouping, cap badge or rank stars.

If only Jack Kipling had not lost his ID ........... but then the thrill of the current chase would be denied the Forum.

It is notable that the GRU report provides no reasons for the positive identification of the regiment. it would be interesting to get a detailed understanding of the level of investigation. In the example above a man with some financial resources and plenty of time was looking for his brother. One might reasonably expect him to make a very detailed inspection. One might also expect that the GRU teams spent the same level of time making detailed inspections. The difference here is one of four years of decay and corrosion.

It is notable that in the concentration report that includes Kipling, some 13 of the 20 bodies are simply UBS (Unidentified British Soldier). If buttons, shoulder titles and insignia were all regimental (for infantry soldiers), clearly two-thirds of the soldiers' buttons and insignia had corroded enough to prevent identification. One might reasonably assume the body was wearing a service dress tunic, but the GRU report does not state it. There are a myriad of possibilities; the service dress tunic might have been removed from a wounded Officer before he died, leaving fewer clues. We simply don't know because the GRU report does not tell us. It is notable that the reasons for some identifications were given and it is notable that some were made on the slimmest of evidence such as Army numbers written in boots or initials in clothing etc.

There are two Welsh Guards Lieutenants who died in the same battle in the same vicinity who have no known graves (three if one from 25th is included). After four years in hastily dug graves (since lost) it is anyone's guess what level of identifiable material was left. What we do know from the small cohort in the concentration report that included Kipling, two-thirds of the men could not be identified from their insignia. It would be an interesting exercise to discover how many Officers' bodies are completely unidentified and how many whose regiments were identified to get a feeling for the likelihood that regiment could be established.

I am concerned that if the MOD/CWGC has rather allowed the standards of proof to be lowered for this celebrity case. If one were to use the legal standard of 'beyond reasonable doubt', It don't think it makes the mark. MG

Hello.

Joseph

You appear to have an informed view of some key debating points. I would be very interested to know what your take on all this speculation or 'proof' as some would have us believe. Do you think Kipling is buried under the headstone? Curious to know your thoughts.

Also curious to know if you believe the standards of proof are sufficient? MG

For those that want to see that page of the exhumation report without hunting the binder, it is here:

http://archive.cloud.cwgc.org/archive/doc/doc2023602.JPG

Is this the body that is now claimed to be Kipling's or another body?

Is this the body that is now claimed to be Kipling's or another body?

No, that is for the OTHER BRITISH OFFICER that was found south of the suspected Kipling grave who might have been 2nd Lt. Law. That is in Loos British Cemetery not St, Mary's ADS. I have no idea what other British units were in that area, that was the initial question. It links to our case on Lt. Wylie but there we know which units were there so we can deal with that question.

That was in response to post #253.

On the question above about the REGIMENT, I went back to see what was on the first headstone before it was changed and it does not refer to an IRISH GUARD. Maybe there was some question even at that time? Does anyone have a photograph of the original headstone before the change to Kipling?

http://archive.cloud.cwgc.org/archive/doc/doc2713157.JPG

http://archive.cloud.cwgc.org/archive/doc/doc2713158.JPG

No, that is for the OTHER BRITISH OFFICER that was found south of the suspected Kipling grave who might have been 2nd Lt. Law. That is in Loos British Cemetery not St, Mary's ADS. I have no idea what other British units were in that area, that was the initial question. It links to our case on Lt. Wylie but there we know which units were there so we can deal with that question.

That was in response to post #253.

On the question above about the REGIMENT, I went back to see what was on the first headstone before it was changed and it does not refer to an IRISH GUARD. Maybe there was some question even at that time? Does anyone have a photograph of the original headstone before the change to Kipling?

http://archive.cloud.cwgc.org/archive/doc/doc2713157.JPG

http://archive.cloud.cwgc.org/archive/doc/doc2713158.JPG

thanks...do you have the same document for the Kipling body? curious to see the detail...

MG

thanks...do you have the same document for the Kipling body? curious to see the detail...

MG

No, I have hunted the CWGC Cloud and I can not find exhumation reports of that format for St, Mary's ADS. Most of the time "I stumble" across those while looking for something else. You get them from the Source Code of the page. If you have an interest in that, I have explained the process here:

Making a GRRF or COG-BR Binder

... some 13 of the 20 bodies are simply UBS (Unidentified British Soldier). If buttons, shoulder titles and insignia were all regimental (for infantry soldiers), clearly two-thirds of the soldiers' buttons and insignia had corroded enough to prevent identification....

It is worth pointing out as regards the ordinary OR's uniform, in the vast majority of cases (usually only with the exception of cap-badge and shoulder titles) the rest of the uniform is completely standard and identical to each other. There were also various practices during the war which saw such unit identification being removed deliberately, to make it more difficult for the enemy to gain information on who was opposite them (and thus data on troop movements, unit strengths, etc). Where possible it also seems to have been British practice to remove reusable items of kit from bodies prior to burial (including some items of clothing early on, though this was swiftly discontinued). On battlefield found examples today, even after 100 years such insignia, though badly corroded, is inevitably still legible enough to provide a positive unit identification.

In cases like that above, it is far more likely that things remaining like buttons where the standard General Service type, and that the regimentally identifying insignia was absent through loss or deliberate removal than the result of extensive corrosion or similar in such a relatively short time.

Some great insights in this thread! Impressed...

Bernard

In the case of several bodies in the same grave buttons. unless attached to clothing still on the body would be of no use for ID