Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sommewalker's Bayonets

calibre792x57.y

Heck, that is a simply exquisite piece you have there SW! I have yet to find an S.98 a.A. and if I really want one I will probably have to buy one abroad and get it over here somehow - but it is easier to collect S,84/98's and S.98/05's!

I am not familiar with that type of frog, but there again, frogs are beyond me as original ones rarely turn up over here (although I did once buy a British no.4 here just to get the German frog it was in!). As for the metal scabbard for the S.98, I have one unmarked example of these, one of the finial-less variety,

Julian

The Bavarians had many small variances on issue items for their troops and with the parallel sides, the frog may be Bavarian rather than the standard Prussian style with the curved sides, how it got on a Prussian issue bayonet, who knows. It is a very nice example of a scarce bayonet Sommewalker, congratulations.

Edited by Gew88/05

That is a thing of real beauty S/W, where are you finding these rare bayonets in such good condition? All the scarcer bayonets I tend to find are nowhere near as nice as yours.

Aleck

Various places Aleck. The Sg98aAmS came from a dealer/collector who had owned it for thirty years or so. Others I've had for a long time or just got lucky. - SW