Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Suicide By Bayonet! Argggghhhh!

trenchtrotter

Firstly this is a tongue in cheek post.

But another thread on bayonets will result in good old TT doing the above!

I do realise contributors dictate topics!

PPS I love bayonets!!!!!!!

T bayo T

As a casual and interested observer, I have noticed the arguments/disagreements between experts are far more civilised than some other subjects.

I do agree

As a casual and interested observer, I have noticed the arguments/disagreements between experts are far more civilised than some other subjects.

Probably to do with all those sharp objects around :devilgrin:

Sometimes there's a slight edge and I think, right here we go, roll up sleeves time and then the handbags get put back and all is normal.

There's only 417 threads with 'bayonet' in Topic Title

" Your search for the term bayonet returned 417 results "

Mike

Did you search last week too? :ph34r:

And that's just the ones out of their scabbards or what ever they are called.

DID SOMEONE SAY BAYONET?

I would suggest a Lebel bayonet. Many others are rather dull, and there is no need for additional undue suffering.

Alternatively a minty S98 ought to be nice and pointy.

(And here I was thinking how nice there were so many topics here that interested me recently!)

post-38182-0-44643000-1428268115_thumb.j

It was near the end of basic training and all the soldiers were getting ready for the war games.
A private came charging into his Lieutenant's office and said " Lieutenant, I lost my rifle. What am I going to use for the war games?"
"I don't have time to deal with this right now" the lieutenant thought.
He grabbed a broom and handed it to the solder. "Here us this instead."
"How is this going to work?"
"When you see the bad guys coming at you, just point it at them and say 'Bangity Bang Bang'".
So the private ran out with his new "rifle". But soon he came running back to the Lieutenant saying "Lieutenant, I can't find my bayonet!"
The Lieutenant grabbed a pencil off his desk and gave it the private. "When you see the bad guys coming just hold this up and say 'Stabity Stab Stab.'"
So the private was all ready for his war games. He was sitting in his fox hole minding his own business when suddenly the entire opposing force came over the hill marching right on his position. Every one near him ran away in fear, but the private was ready.
He grabbed his broom, pointed it at the bad guys and said "Bangity Bang Bang Bangity Bang Bang" and half of them fell down.
"Wow this really works" thought the private. Let me try my bayonet. So he held up his pencil and said "Stabity Stab Stab Stabity Stab Stab" and the rest of the bad guys fell down except for one very big guy who just kept right on come. He walked right over the top of the private and just stomped him into the ground.
The private was laying in a heap on the ground and he asked himself what went wrong. "I used the broom and said Bangity Bang Bang and half of the men fell down. Then I used my pencil and said Stabity Stab Stab and the rest of the men fell down except for this one big guy. What did I do wrong?"
Then he heard the big guy mumbling as he walked past him "Tankity Tank Tank Tankity Tank Tank."

I would have thought that mention of bayonets could have very well come under the heading of the most useless articles of war. Give me a good old trench broom any old time. Collecting them of course is a

different matter.

Firstly this is a tongue in cheek post.

But another thread on bayonets will result in good old TT doing the above!

I do realise contributors dictate topics!

PPS I love bayonets!!!!!!!

T bayo T

Ooii.!! Ar u 'avin a go at me, pal.? Roight then.!! (rolls sleeves up) :thumbsup:

Actually, "it's not me fault guv'nor ... I blames the geezer wot keeps startin' things" :P

Cheers, S>S

Ooii.!! Ar u 'avin a go at me, pal.? Roight then.!! (rolls sleeves up) :thumbsup:

Actually, "it's not me fault guv'nor ... I blames the geezer wot keeps startin' things" :P

Cheers, S>S

Perhaps, if there is too much bayonetting going around, (not that I, personally agree in the slightest...) the individual in question could publish a periodical article or blog, focusing on the sharp and pointys so dear to some of us.

But the issue arises, what to call it? Dare I suggest... Trajan's Column?

Excellent idea.!! And there IS a blog section somewhere on the Forum where nobody goes ... if it would save so many people from undue suffering, THAN I AM FOR IT :innocent:

The recent threads give me flashbacks to when I was about 4, mum and dad arguing, dad pulls out the boot knife, mum flicks open the stiletto, kids screaming.....fight, fight, fight. Then gran calms things down with a 12 gauge blast into the ceiling. Happy days in Basildon.

I have to admit I don't like bayonets, don't see enough differentiation between them to make them interesting, and worry about people preoccupied with sticky - in weapons used at sweat - smelling range. But I do recognise that that might be as much me as them, the level of discussion is normally polite and dispassionate, and that they probably don't got nowhere else to go to discuss this stuff in the detail they obviously want.

So I say let 'em be.

Regards,

MikB

It was near the end of basic training and all the soldiers were getting ready for the war games....

:lol:

But the issue arises, what to call it? Dare I suggest... Trajan's Column?

Issues arising? As in monumental erections buildings at Rome? That was indeed a very pointed (OUCH!) comment which I will take to heart... Now, where did I put my trowels...

I do see TT's point-of-view, though, but the problem is the variety to be found in the blessed pointy-things! Why, even the P.1907 bayonet came in a variety of types, well, according to makers thereof anyway!

Trajan

Here's a suggestion chaps-

if you have no interest in them, then just skip past them & dont bother reading them like I do with field gun &

shell casing threads. Not really rocket science........

Aleck

Has anyone checked up on TT recently ... :huh: (just looking at the board I do hold grave concerns for his wellbeing) :thumbsup:

Cheers, S>S

I'm still here Sir.

Hang in there TT ... and be sure to avail yourself of all the medication and counselling that you may require to see you through these dark times :rolleyes:

Cheers, S>S

When and where I don't know, but I recall my father telling me of a soldier who fainted on parade and his fixed bayonet caught him in the throat on the way down, "ouch"

khaki

I can beat that, we had to bring in a squaddie who had placed his SLR on the opposite side of a barbed wired fence, jumped over, caught the end of the barrel which followed him and entered a very delicate part of his anatomy, luckily thick combats stopped complete penetration, but a nasty perforation and he wasn't well. Luckier still he didn't have a bayonet.