Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German Uniform Photos

4thGordons

7 hours ago, charlie2 said:

The first card

Zum Andenken an das Feldlazarett No.24 und Genesungsheim Coucy - le - Chateau Frankreich

Thank you very much. 

• 1 month later...

German.1.jpg

"G. Blumenschein. Photogr. Anstalt. Ulm. Frauenstr. 55"

German.2.jpg

I never would have got that 'K'! A left handed writer???!!!

The light coloured jackets in the group- photo above that of Lt. Kuhr are called "Drillich" and were worn during dirtywork to spare the other uniforms. Interesting here is the dark collar rim, a rank insignia for a Gefreiter on the Drillich jacket and the fact that it is a non-prussian unit, probably Württemberg.

GreyC

Edited by GreyC

On 17/05/2023 at 05:44, charlie2 said:

Ein Teil meiner Kompagnie - A part of my Company

On 17/05/2023 at 09:01, GreyC said:

The light coloured jackets in the group- photo above that of Lt. Kuhr are called "Drillich" and were worn during dirtywork to spare the other uniforms. Interesting here is the dark collar rim, a rank insignia for a Gefreiter on the Drillich jacket and the fact that it is a non-prussian unit, probably Württemberg.

GreyC

Many thanks. Apologies for the slow reply.

GermanGroupsback(2).jpg.7cb4de7181edc2711ef4f2d023cfc0b1.jpg

German Groups (3).jpg

Edited by GWF1967

• 4 months later...

I was just given another small lot of German pics - many of them are damaged and or faded and most of them are rather distant groups etc but there are a few with good uniform detail - including this one - naval uniforms are not something I know very much about - any insights on this one (the collar patches)? It would seem he also has an award?

Chris

Scan20231012_016d.jpg.3260f8f5ce10da9ca039a2c5888b73cb.jpg

1 hour ago, 4thGordons said:

I was just given another small lot of German pics - many of them are damaged and or faded and most of them are rather distant groups etc but there are a few with good uniform detail - including this one - naval uniforms are not something I know very much about - any insights on this one (the collar patches)? It would seem he also has an award?

Chris

Scan20231012_016d.jpg.3260f8f5ce10da9ca039a2c5888b73cb.jpg

I’m wondering if it might be a WW2 uniform Chris?  The buttons were closer together during WW1 it seems.  See: 

Unless he was a technical fellow and wearing an ‘oberzieher jacke’.  The medal ribbon looks like the Iron Cross 2nd Class I think, but I’m not sure.

IMG_0102.jpeg

IMG_0103.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

12 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

I’m wondering if it might be a WW2 uniform Chris?

Navy and decorations are outside my knowledge base but some of the buttons on our righthand side look to bear the Imperial Crown, WW2 was just an Anchor. 
Charlie

7 minutes ago, charlie2 said:

Navy and decorations are outside my knowledge base but some of the buttons on our righthand side look to bear the Imperial Crown, WW2 was just an Anchor. 
Charlie

Thanks Charlie, after examining the group images above I think he’s a senior rating ranking as Technical and Torpedoman’s Mate and wearing an oberzieher jacke.  The far left side of the two pictorial guides refer, in both cases.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Indeed, he appears to only have one strip of "Borte" on the collar patches denoting a Maat (Mate)  in the rank of an Unteroffizier. Two strips of such Borte indicated a senior mate in Sergeant's rank. Both ranks were in the the general class of Unteroffiziere ohne Portepee (i.e. without the officers' sword knot which was afforded to more senior personnel.

Regards

Glenn

1 hour ago, Glenn J said:

Indeed, he appears to only have one strip of "Borte" on the collar patches denoting a Maat (Mate)  in the rank of an Unteroffizier. Two strips of such Borte indicated a senior mate in Sergeant's rank. Both ranks were in the the general class of Unteroffiziere ohne Portepee (i.e. without the officers' sword knot which was afforded to more senior personnel.

Regards

Glenn

Thank you Glenn, that’s excellent detail.

The EKII ribbon seems to have been retouched/ penciled into the photo after it was taken.

This was someties done when the soldier in the portrait was photographed before he was awared a medal. He then went to the photographer and had the medal penciled / retoched in. That was cheaper than having another photo taken. Someties the ribbon didn´t come out well in the photograph, so the ribbon was "intensified" by retouching it.

GreyC

The jacket is piped at the collar and cuffs in black which in combination with "Swedish" cuffs is indicative of either field artillery or engineers (Pioniere). Given the lack of shoulder straps, it is not possible to be more explicit. Although stamped 1. J. B., it is not piped as per a Jäger jacket which would be green at collar, cuffs, skirt slashes and down the front edge. Although the inked name inside the jacket has the rank of an Unteroffizier, it is not fitted with NCO lace at either collar of cuffs. Indeed, the rank of Unteroffizier was not utilized by the Jäger arm but that of "Oberjäger".

It may be a converted former Jäger tunic to field artillery or Pionier issue. 

Regards

Glenn

10 minutes ago, landser said:

Je pense Artillerie. Munitionnaire

Can you please post an image of the shoulder boards?

Thanks.

Regards

Glenn

• 3 weeks later...

What uniform is Hpt. Willy Rohr wearing in this? undefined
From trying to research, I believe it's a sort of Litewka, but I cannot find anything on its designation or any information about it. 
image.png.84ee214b93bf54ddb82d47e63d9ac9cf.pngHere is another photo, especially the officer in the middle. I know he is a Leutnant des Infanterie-Regiments 92., but why is he exactly wearing this and not the normal m15 uniform? Many thanks.

It is hard to tell if Rohr wears the m1903 Offizier-Litewka  or the Kleiner Rock m1915 as the pocket-flaps are not visible. With the Offizier-Litewka they are horizontal, with the Kleiner Rock slanting. Both were accepted uniform pieces for officers. The Litewka could be worn also after the introduction of the Kleiner Rock in 1915/6. The Litewka was mainly worn indoors or out of duty. During the war it was the preferred dress by officers on the staff.

GreyC

PS: In spring of 1917 Enver Pascha visited the training base Doncourt where Rohr demonstrated to him his new tactics. Rohr was probably awarded the turkish medal around then.

Edited by GreyC