Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German Uniform Photos

4thGordons

Can anyone tell me anything about the horizontal lines on the cuffs? Probably something simple, I've just never noticed them before on any photographs.

If I can remember correctly, the reverse says something along the lines of " For memories from June-July 1918. (?), Cambrai. ( Can not read signed name)"

Scan_20180105 (139).png

Dear Sturmmann1918,

The cuff embellishments, or broad stripes, seems to coincide with the broad stripe on his collar.

At a guess, I would think he was an Offizier-Stellvertreter (which has no real equivalent in Brit terms, apart from 'a sort of officer but not quite').

Thanks for the excellent photograph, which shows his EKII ribbon well...

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Hi,

as this is a Feldrock I would dare to disagree. I stick my neck out and opt for Feldrock M1910 Kürassier (Cavalry). Andreas will prove me wrong - if I am wrong.

GreyC

Edited by GreyC

Dear All,

Here is one of my German wife's maternal grandfather (Ltn d R Res. Art. Regt 66), who was a decorated Bty Cdr (Zähringer Löwe, etc.).

Kindest regards,

Kim.5aaf1d9ce3c46_RudolfSchneiderBtyCmdt.jpg.83133eefb843af651227135a4ddc34be.jpg

2 hours ago, GreyC said:

Hi,

as this is a Feldrock I would dare to disagree. I stick my neck out and opt for Feldrock M1910 Kürassier (Cavalary). Andreas will prove me wrong - if I am wrong.

GreyC

Hello!

Because of the trousers I agree wit cavalry. The broad stripes seems to be Cuirassier. Note he doesn´t wear a Koller, but a field tunic. Grey C is right.

Edited by The Prussian

On 3/18/2018 at 20:22, GreyC said:

Hi,

as this is a Feldrock I would dare to disagree. I stick my neck out and opt for Feldrock M1910 Kürassier (Cavalry). Andreas will prove me wrong - if I am wrong.

GreyC

Thank you for your help!

Poor fellow on the bottom right...I can not imagine how difficult daily life would have been for him.

Scan_20180105 (52).png

Hi,

as an add-on to the photo of the Kürassier earlier in this thread  here one of Prince Oskar of Prussia in the uniform of a Kürrasier Regiment. He served with the 2nd  from 1910-11. However I am not sure if the uniform pictured is that of this unit.

GreyC

5ab6f8efb227d_xOskarvPreussenKurassier.jpg.2afd39e902a64baf42aeeb73858199b5.jpg

Edited by GreyC

On 3/11/2018 at 02:27, GreyC said:

Hi,

I thought I share this German Hauptmann from my collection with you.

GreyC

SchneidigerOffizier2kleinGreyC.jpg.a3be5e1e9dff4a253998c8abbde7f6e9.jpgschneidigerOffizier_D.jpg.3b5ea0c4d3e1200433afeb9bb014f354.jpg

That's an interesting one GreyC! Neatly tailored uniform with big barrel cuffs and a 'cavalry' belt buckle with a portepee... But, the crossed swords on the second medal ribbon suggest to me a post WW1 dat - so, any comment?

On 2/24/2018 at 04:12, Grausig13 said:

I know this post is old, but I maybe missed a reply covering my opinion. 

If my eyes see Bavarian lion buttons, which I am uncertain, then the Vereinfachte Waffenrock with Bavarian style simplified cuff is easily identified. Sort of like the Technical Waffenrock cuff, without  the button adornment. 

Fritz.

Thanks Fritz - I didn't know I have been absent from this thread for this long! I think those could very well be Bayern cockades, so maybe you are right. Possibly even Landsturm? I must find the photograph...

Julian

EDIT: OH, ye gods, I see I had replied... at post 1090... Well, I take back the size aspect of the cockades for being Bayern, but the colour might be so? Like I said, must find the photograph...

Edited by trajan
See EDIT

On 3/11/2018 at 16:45, themonsstar said:

Any help with this one thank you 

Roy

German NCOs.JPG

German NCOs No2.JPG

German NCOs No3.JPG

Other than perhaps Bavarian with those cockades, and two with those unofficial shields as discussed above, nothing from me, I'm afraid, except that they are all Unteroffizier...

On 3/12/2018 at 16:23, joerookery said:

As a side note to Trajan's quote, prior to that time they did not have a bayonet. They had a cavalry sword and a 9 foot long Lance. This caused all sorts of problems as dismounted troops because they had a carbine but no bayonet. This is covered some in the experiences of Arthur Brühe at Halen – for more information see: "The Last Great Cavalry Charge."

Cheers on that Joe! But I really had completely missed the fact that cavalry wore their bayonets on the right-hand side... And I must have read those regulations so many times!

Hi Julian,

glad you like the photo. I don´t think it´s postwar. Both cockades still on cap, shoulderboards are imperial, too. Would otherwise have armstripes of the Friedensheer or shoulderstraps of Friedensheer.

GreyC

On 3/25/2018 at 13:26, trajan said:

Other than perhaps Bavarian with those cockades, and two with those unofficial shields as discussed above, nothing from me, I'm afraid, except that they are all Unteroffizier...

Definitely Bavarian... 11 Bayrisches Infanterie Division Verbandsabzeichen. 

11ID.jpg

On 3/25/2018 at 13:10, trajan said:

Thanks Fritz - I didn't know I have been absent from this thread for this long! I think those could very well be Bayern cockades, so maybe you are right. Possibly even Landsturm? I must find the photograph...

Julian

EDIT: OH, ye gods, I see I had replied... at post 1090... Well, I take back the size aspect of the cockades for being Bayern, but the colour might be so? Like I said, must find the photograph...

The Bavarian cockade does not always have to be big. Attached are my examples--you can see some manufacturers just painted what they had on hand to sell whatever state they could. Incidentally, while on the subject,  I've seen Bavarian marked and annotated photos where the m1916 cockade has appeared Prussian with the outer black ring presumed blended into the cap band--people insisting the Bavarians have Prussian cockades. Just because nobody expects a small disc with a single dot.

Bay Kokarden.JPG

Nice photograph, and thanks. Even so, those extra-large ones...? My general rule of thumb is if indistinct, then if lower cockade bigger than upper one, more than even chnce it will be Bavarian.

Here is a straightforward one that came from a German dealer - I am assuming that 'Pate' means 'godfather'?  So, a Herr Paul Wicklein, a Freiwilliger aged 18 in an artillery helmet - and at that, to judge from the sabre grips and form, a Prussian artillery unit.

scan0034.jpg

scan0032.jpg

EDIT: so, he still has his sword - that means before mid-late 1915 doesn't it? I am being crowded out of my study 'area' by the boys doing homework so can't readily check! 

Edited by trajan

...quite right, also the belt and the leather strap attached to the sabre. The cuffs designate him as part of the fieldartillery.

GreyC

Hello!

The belt says, he´s from a mounted fieldartillery unit. Do I see an 11 on the helmet cover?

Now, the real reason I bought that one above, post 1142(!) was because I wanted this one, as the same chap is shown here with an Ersatz model - an EB 09. But, I am confused by the award he has... An eight pointed design with a raised central design. Also, he is wearing a modified version of a cavalry belt - but didn't they go out of use in the late war period?

scan0033.jpg

scan0031.jpg

scan0033a.jpg

Edited by trajan

1 minute ago, The Prussian said:

Hello!

The belt says, he´s from a mounted fieldartillery unit. Do I see an 11 on the helmet cover?

No, unfortunately - just creases, no number... Egbert is right - I need a new scanner! :(

Hmmm, I think it´s a bloody 11...:rolleyes::D

6.jpg

scan0034.jpg.8296c6a6796f40d7ebbe1944301fc89c.jpg

1 minute ago, The Prussian said:

Hmmm, I think it´s a bloody 11...:rolleyes::D

6.jpg

scan0034.jpg.8296c6a6796f40d7ebbe1944301fc89c.jpg

OK, went back to it with the 6x glass - and ye gods, maşallah, you are right - that is a '1' there and so it could well be / probably is '11' it is! Vielen dank!

That would make it 1. Kurhessisches Feld-Artillerie-Regiment Nr. 11? Were they within the Prussian grouping for weaponry?

Wait one moment, please. The crazy Prussian has got a crazy idea.....

What IF it´s not a balled, but a spiked helmet?

Drivers and blacksmiths of Searchlight-formations  had cavalry equipment! (Kraus, vol. II, page 745)

They wore the number of the Pionier-Bataillon, which did set-up that unit.

So I throw it in the crowd:

Driver of a searchlight-formation of Pionier-Bataillon 11

And??????

He was missed in 1915:

http://des.genealogy.net/search/show/3024487

and declared to death by court in 1919:

http://des.genealogy.net/search/show/8809300

Poor, young boy, but unfortunately I think he is it...

Edited by The Prussian

Forget it...He was 18 years old...

The Casualty lists says, that man was born in 1885.

I saw it too late...