Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

War of Words, Soldier Poets of The Somme

phil andrade

Very fragmented and far too many presenters and "contributors" in my view, it seemed to lack a sense of direction and it would have been good to hear more of the poetry and far less of the "talking heads". Much more impact was gleaned from the use of the war poems in the classic BBC series "The Great War" and sadly it seems that the programme makers are unable even now to reach the quality and impact of that ground-breaking production.

Norman

Well fancy you taking that line Norman, especially when you are normally such a vocal fan of all of our work....

All the stranger considering your comment about the programme on this very thread when it was first broadcast back in 2014:

It was nominated for a few RTS awards, plus the Grierson Award and the comments on the forum, Facebook and Twitter have been highly favourable. If we made a programme that, thus far, only you seemed to dislike then I think we have done pretty well!

Jeremy - I shall use that image in my talk(s) on the Swansea Battalion at Mametz Wood, if that's OK with you, please?

Bernard

Of course Bernard, I'll email you some more. I'll be at the wood on the early morning of the 10th for a dawn vigil so will doff my cap to the Swansea Pals then.

J

Received, thank you Jeremy. Great images.

Bernard