Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

War of Words, Soldier Poets of The Somme

phil andrade

This programme was so good that although I have just finished organising a trip for next year following the Retreat from Mons I have squeezed in a quick detour and night on the Somme at Avril's to allow me to visit some of the sites shown on this programme.

Len

I'll look into keepvid. Can you record from iplayer?

Toby

I don't think so, BBC tends to be protective of material it shows. Flash video is also likely to be a problem as the original document page is difficult to find. There are programmes that profess to be able to track the source page for videos but when I tried them, admittedly some time ago, they didn't work or were too much trouble. Straightforward videos which are generally used on YouTube are most likely to succeed . The Home page for Keepvid gives guidance. There are a number of ways to download from YouTube - even using Browser Add-Ons.

I expect that nearly everything of interest to a viewer will appear on YouTube at some time, even if it is eventually withdrawn because of Rights issues.

It is also possible that some material reaches Torrents sites but that is a totally different approach.

Kevin

PS iPlayer downloads can be kept for 30days see:- http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/tv/iplayer-downloads-service

• 8 months later...

That's great news; any chance that this new exposure will get us anywhere closer to a dvd release? I recorded it but missed the first ten minutes, and last time I looked it was no longer on Youtube. It deserves to be much more widely available.

No, I very much doubt it will ever make it to DVD. The scheduling for its broadcast was awful - the perils of a 90 minute programme - so many people missed it. The BBC Head of Arts was effusive in his praise and I have heard suggestions it could be repeated next year sometime. Only time will tell...

Jeremy, I hope it wins, it really was that good. Everyone I recommended it to thought it was brilliant.

Pete.

• 9 months later...

I have recently heard from Seb Barfield, the director of 'War of Words: Soldier Poets of the Somme' with the welcome news that it will be repeated on BBC Four at 9pm on Sunday 3 July. See http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04pw01r

Turns out the BBC Head of Arts wasn't lying (see post 55)

JB

Excellent news. I stumbled across the programme missing the first few minutes and forgetting to record it. I have cursed ever since and regularly scanned Amazon hoping for a DVD release. I did wonder whether the anniversary might be a chance for a repeat. I would listen to Peter reading a shopping list, but I thought even amongst his and your programmes this was a cut above. 

David

Just set the box to record, but I may watch it live anyway; it was that good first time around. The only caveat is that I'm off to see an alfresco performance of 'As You Like It' in the afternoon and may be still drying off providing I dodge the lightning. I just know it is going to lash down.

Pete.

45 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

Just set the box to record, but I may watch it live anyway; it was that good first time around. The only caveat is that I'm off to see an alfresco performance of 'As You Like It' in the afternoon and may be still drying off providing I dodge the lightning. I just know it is going to lash down.

Pete.

Pete

Well as the Duke says, 'Sweet are the uses of adversity'

David

28 minutes ago, David Ridgus said:

Well as the Duke says, 'Sweet are the uses of adversity'

If it does throw it down I might come over all King Lear: blow winds and crack your cheeks type of stuff. I have full waterproof gear so I should be ok. I don't know which of the quarter finals it will be on Sunday but I might watch that and then Poets. As Graves and Sassoon were almost honourary Scousers during WW1 and young Owen was from over the water I am always interested.

Pete.

15 hours ago, J Banning said:

I have recently heard from Seb Barfield, the director of 'War of Words: Soldier Poets of the Somme' with the welcome news that it will be repeated on BBC Four at 9pm on Sunday 3 July. See http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04pw01r

Turns out the BBC Head of Arts wasn't lying (see post 55)

JB

I watched this when it originally aired and by my reckoning is the best GW programme of the centenary so far. 

The TV schedule for this weekend is looking particularly light though. Not even a re-run documentary on Yesterday. It's a busy week in the world of sport / politics so I understand the main channels are pretty congested but I'm disappointed BBC4 is running with 'The Good Old Days' and 'Punk Britannia' on Friday evening.

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the kind comment. A gallery of images from the shoot and recces here: http://jeremybanning.co.uk/gallery/nggallery/images/war-of-words-soldier-poets-of-the-somme-bbc-two

As for the schedule, Peter and I have spent the best part of 18 months working on a brand new three part (3 hours) BBC series. It is all complete and ready for broadcast. The anonymous BBC schedulers, in their wisdom (note heavy irony) have decided to broadcast the first programme on Monday 18 July, second on 25 July and final one on 1 August, thereby completely missing the countrywide commemoration. In fact, they could not have picked a better time for absolute Somme apathy amongst the general public.

You really couldn't make it up.

JB

That is a shame. Still, it's great news the BBC have commissioned 3 hrs of output and I hope they promote it as it deserves.

Such a beautifully crafted production. Knowing my great uncle ran into Strip Trench it would be wonderful to be able to own a copy or at least download from the usual outlets.

Glad you enjoyed it. I have had many people asking on Twitter if the BBC will release this on DVD and I am unsure if they will. I have asked though. 

Here's a view up Strip Trench which you may like.

Jeremy 

image.jpg

I fully concur with the plaudits for this programme which I missed the first time round. 

Now catching up with the following programme on soldiers' photographs.

sJ

I thought it was an excellent programme. 

Thanks Jeremy - a superb photo! Like many people here, I find it a compelling place. 

I'll be there for the service at the Red Dragon on 7 July with a group of ex-RRW officers. Very much looking forward to the day!

JB

Great programme quite the best on this anniversary Somme media assault.

Just shows what you can do with real experts, rather than sleb presenters, with people who can actually stand and talk direct to the camera.

1 hour ago, David Filsell said:

Just shows what you can do with real experts,

Spot on. I enjoyed this enormously.

Apologies for going off course from the Great War briefly, but I can recommend 'Drysalter' (2013), a book of poems by Michael Symmons Roberts, who was talking about David Jones's 'In Parenthesis' for the programme.

sJ