phil andrade

Like here Pete (P25)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/glosters/2778441841/in/set-72157603237480463

And here

https://www.flickr.com/photos/glosters/4399490944/in/set-72157603237480463

And in the UK

https://www.flickr.com/photos/glosters/3923116662/in/set-72157603654398542

Norman

PS: As already mentioned I was surprised that as the programme was in chronological order Owens poem The Sentry was not used in the final part. The subject of a letter to his Mother in January 1917 my understanding is that the events happened during the closing part of 1916. Perhaps someone involved with the production can clarify why this was omitted

Having got rather fed up with most of the programmes broadcast on the centenary so far, I approached this with trepidation.

How wrong can one be?

This was absolutely superb. I enjoyed it all, and was also pleased to see a little bit about Junger. Yes....the Germans didn't write oodles of poetry in the trenches, but having a bit of German prose gave the programme some balance too. Peter Barton was as excellent as ever.

Anyone who hasn't seen this yet..treat yourself. You won't be disappointed by an excellent programme.

Bruce

Very Good.

The title may have put a few viewers off

I caught the tail end of this when it went out live just at the point where the description of Tolkein's faces were seen under the surface of the water.

So now I see where that came from in the Film of The Lord of the rings.

Then I saw Ernst Junger had featured in the program and was cross that I had not watched from the start. But the title did mention Poets and Junger's early work was not really poetry.

Anyway caught up now on the link from here.

Top job.

So now I see where that came from in the Film of The Lord of the rings.

And in the book!

And in the book!

Yes but a film gives us all the same image because a director decides what we see. A book makes you see something yourself and there can be many

different 'Scenes' set in a free mind.

For me the book, which Tolkien wrote more than 50 years before the film came out, has primacy over the film. The image is still JRRT's and not whatsit's the director's.

I've just watched this - ordinarily the thought of a serious documentary punctuated with magic latern styled animation would make me baulk - but like everyone else I have nothing but praise for it - excellent stuff. Well done everyone involved!

Finally got round to seeing the programme on I Player.

Very impressed, the sort of programme that want to replay a couple of times. Particularly enjoyed the section on David Jones.

Is this a GWF first? A programme which everyone enjoys? Not a single dissenter? Not a single condemnation?

I'm looking forwards for more Barton and Jeremy. There's another to follow surely? As others have voiced - this was a programme aimed at an audience which either knew the basics, or could easily assimilate the basics without any patronising celeb-studded glamorisation. It reminded me of the PSB America American Civil War style presentation - based on the 1964 Great War series. Truly excellent.

Just to echo what everyone else has said, one of the best documentaries that has been shown. I thoroughly enjoyed every aspect of it, catch it on the old BBC iplayer before it disappears.

More documentaries like this please.

As has been said, an excellent programme, and kudos to all involved. Peter Barton's commentaries on the field were very good indeed, but it would be unfair to single out one person in such a tour de force.

On a sad note, the death has been announced today of Professor John Stallworthy, who featured in the programme, and was a well-known poet, and editor of the Oxford Book of War Poetry, and an anthology of Wilfred Owens' poems

Is this a GWF first? A programme which everyone enjoys? Not a single dissenter? Not a single condemnation?

Blimey that makes a change :w00t::poppy:

It may be me but my non-smart TV can't locate this on BBC catch up from my Sky box? I think it might work on my tablet but that's not ideal for viewing. Can't link my tablet to the TV either...wrong plugs!

Bernard (honorary Luddite)

I echo the vast majority of previous comments.

As some members may be aware I work in a small special school for students with emotional and behavioural difficulties and we run an annual trip to the Somme battlefields providing a service to local residents to locate the graves / memorials of local men killed in action in the area. I offered, after viewing myself, to play this documentary to those students previously involved in the trips to re kindle their interest and recap sites visited and topics discussed whilst there.

What a response!! Close to 20 students, at an after school event, engrossed in the programme. It takes a lot to engage these students but they were fascinated, both viewing the sites they had previously visited and more importantly the links to their current GCSE English work. Excellent programme, as stated by others, probably the best of the most recent coverage. Well done to all involved.

Doug

Fantastic!! Watched on I-player just now, and hearty congratulations to Peter Barton and all who worked on the production. Really liked the David Jones and Hodgson sections. Will let the English Dept. at my school know about it tomorrow as think it'll be brilliant for the kids to see. Sad to hear of the death of Professor Stallworthy.

Thanks for bringing the programme to our attention on the forum

Congrats again to all involved

All the best

Jim

PS Keep this up the Beeb!!!!

Well we have been spoiled - this programme plus The Man who shot the War. I would submit two of the best TV pieces ever produced on this subject. Well done BBC and all involved.

of all the rubbish the beeb show & then re-show later in the week! the program that every one is waxing lyrical over, they decide not to on this one!!

still no bother i will get it on catchup from sky! no they decide not to offer it on catchup.

please beeb show it again - i do not care what time you do! i will set sky +

because we were away for over a week and did not arrive home until sunday night - never set it first time, because never knew it was on.

• 3 weeks later...

The programme has 8 days left to run on iplayer for those that missed the original broadcast, and those who wish to watch it again.

I count myself as another who was totally enraptured by this film from beginning to end, not only because it was so beautifully and passionately made and presented, and so blissfully devoid of those dreadful 'dramatic reenactments' that have become de rigeur in modern documentary making - it also covered very precisely the subject of my ongoing photographic study of the Somme. Indeed, the filming took place only a couple of weeks after I had been photographing many of the same locations - more than once Peter Barton was standing on exactly the spot from which I had taken shots, most notably in Mametz Wood and the Queen's Nullah, a fortnight before.

I for one thought that the animations were a work of art in themselves, stunningly researched and rendered. David Jones's Queen of the Woods/Sweet Sister Death was quite terrifying, but so true (in my interpretation at least) to the spirit of Jones's original creation. The whole thing had a deep and powerful emotional impact. I shall be watching it for a third time before it is pulled from iplayer!

Thanks for your kind words Toby (and to all others who commented so favourably on the documentary). I sent the link to this thread to the director and many of the animators at BDH and they were grateful for the comments.

Best wishes,

Jeremy

• 2 weeks later...

For those who missed it on iPlayer, I see that someone has already added it to YouTube.

Indeed it is, I found it a day or two ago.

Very frustrated to find that I could watch the original on iplayer on my PC, but not on my (smart) TV - it would appear that the latter uses a different iplayer and has a more limited choice. I wonder why this should be the case.

I had wanted to show the film to my elderly parents as they would have undoubtedly enjoyed it, but I couldn't expect them to sit hunched around a PC for 90 minutes!

iplayer is preferable to youtube due to there being far better resolution, right up to HD.

For those who missed it on iPlayer, I see that someone has already added it to YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcnJrrYRI_g

It was put on YouTube more or less immediately after broadcast, as are most video's. See #23 on 17th Nov.

This happens frequently but there are still questions asked about how long it will be before a repeat appears on a TV Channel. Surely YouTube can be easily accessed to check such videos - do people even bother to search for themselves?

Kevin

Indeed it is, I found it a day or two ago.

Very frustrated to find that I could watch the original on iplayer on my PC, but not on my (smart) TV - it would appear that the latter uses a different iplayer and has a more limited choice. I wonder why this should be the case.

I had wanted to show the film to my elderly parents as they would have undoubtedly enjoyed it, but I couldn't expect them to sit hunched around a PC for 90 minutes!

iplayer is preferable to youtube due to there being far better resolution, right up to HD.

Toby

The easy solution is to use Keepvid to download the video on to a USB drive and let them watch it at their leisure on their own PC (assume they have one).

Kevin

Toby

The easy solution is to use Keepvid to download the video on to a USB drive and let them watch it at their leisure on their own PC (assume they have one).

Kevin

Good heavens, no. They wouldn't have a clue.

My father has an old Nokia mobile phone, but he hasn't the faintest idea of how to drive it. My mother doesn't want one, no interest at all.

I'll look into keepvid. Can you record from iplayer?