Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Great War Forum Conference 2015 - all speakers announced

AlanCurragh

Hi Alan - just paid via Paypal - two tickets for myself and Jane Burrell.

Looking forward to it!

Phil Wood

Last call for anyone who might want to come.....

What time is the RV at the Old Contemps plse? See you there!

TT

Normally there are a couple of taxis leaving the Premier Inn on Hagley Road at 7.30 or so - so there are certainly people there from 7.45 onwards. Before that, I'm not sure, to be honest

Many thanks. Will aim for 8 pm.

TT

Have we booked the back room at the OC?

It gets pretty busy on a Friday evening, and it would be a good idea to try to book it, so we all have somewhere to sit, and to eat, for those who would rather eat there than at Akbars.

I haven't booked it, in the expectation that someone else has already done so.

Bruce

Just phoned the pub.....the back room is booked for drinks only for 30 people.

That might be someone from the Forum, but we will just have to sharpen our elbows if it isn't!

Bruce

Indeed - it is booked - I didn't specify 30 specifically, but they needed a number and that seemed a reasonable guess.

You going this year then Bruce? It'll be good to see you again, you've been missed

Alan, are you posting a list of those attending this year? I like to be nosey :D

God willing, I should be there.

I only missed last year because I was on the Western Front, guiding a school group. I don't have such a booking this year, so I will be there, with Margaret, Molly and Simon, in the OC on Friday evening (and I guessed that someone from the GWF would have booked the back room), and then the conference and meal on Saturday. We are in Hagley Road, as usual, so might well be able to share taxis etc.

Bruce

I've had to cancel, unfortunately, due to man flu.

I would have been punting my new book towards anyone not quick enough to run away - so will do it now. It really is a rather super read, doncha know.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bully-Beef-Biscuits-Food-Great/dp/1473827450/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1427282201&sr=8-1&keywords=bully+beef+hartley

Hope everyone has a great day.

John

Chums,

Just as a matter of interest what time do the Akbar's posse depart for their late evening repast, and what time does everyone leave? I'm meeting my best mate for an early evening curry and might try to drop in later. I wouldn't want to arrive at the Old Contemptibles to find them collecting the glasses and putting the chairs on the tables.

Pete.

P.S. John, that is bad news; I hope you will be feeling better soon.

Nothing is regimented, but the flight to Akbars tends to be around 10pm while the hardened element carry on at the OC, but there are no rules - just how people feel on the night.

Thanks Keith, I do like the idea of the forum having a hardened element........

Pete.

Not all of us are curry fans. The food at the OC isn't bad, and the beer is consistently good.

So.....having got there, had a pint, earn, had a pint.....had a pint....why leave?

If that makes me "hardened" then so be it!

Bruce

You don't doesn't like Fig Rolls either Bruce. I knew that you had to have some other underlying issue. :hypocrite:

Keith

Sorry we won't be seeing you John. Hope you recover soon.

Neil

Keep a place for me in the taxi from the Premier Inn. I should be there around 6. Looking forward to it!

Christina

Christina - I suspect there may be a few taxis!

We will certainly be in the bar from 7, maybe earlier (we might get some food there at 6 or so)

Sorry but I can't make it to the OC's tonight but shall see you all tomorrow - DV

Roger

See you tomorrow Roger. We'll miss you at the OC.

I hope everyone has a great OC sesh , curry and conference.

Sorry to be missing this year due to a badly timed family wedding. I will sit in corner looking grumpy.

Pictures and reports greatly anticipated.