Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Great War Forum Conference 2015 - all speakers announced

AlanCurragh

Alan can you let us know when you want the cheque for the balance of the conference and dinner please.

Regards. Mike

Mike - I'll be asking for that in mid February or so

Alan

Excellent Mandy

See you there

Keith

Paypal thingy done this evening. Unfortunately can't make dinner.

Chris C

Thanks James - and just bumping this up again - for those who have never gone to the conference before, those who do tend to come back every year - so why not give it a go this year?

Spot on. For those who travel on the friday there's an opportunity for a couple or three hours of chat in a real ale pub in the evening, followed by (for some) an excellent curry at Akbar's on the Hagley Road. The intervals between speakers allow for plenty of mingling and discussion of shared interests. See you there.

Keith

Just to amplify Alan and Keith's comments, last year was my first conference and it was absolutely outstanding. The speakers were uniformly excellent, the food was really good and the company was outstanding. I only wish I had stayed for dinner. And if that wasn't enough there was the Hart and Messenger double act in the intervals ("A joke, a song and a book sale"). What's not to like?

I will be there again this year (but don't let that put you off).

Pete

Mike - I'll be asking for that in mid February or so

Alan

Hi Alan

I will be in southern Africa at about that time. Can it wait till I get back (on March 5)?

Cheers Martin B

Hi Alan

I will be in southern Africa at about that time. Can it wait till I get back (on March 5)?

Cheers Martin B

No problem at all Martin

for those who have never gone to the conference before, those who do tend to come back every year - so why not give it a go this year?

Those who don't attend seem not to attend every year as well. Alas I won't be making it again this spring. Am interested to see if a 'Haig centric' afternoon leads to a similar level of boorishness that text posts on our forum often produce.

Those who don't attend seem not to attend every year as well. Alas I won't be making it again this spring. Am interested to see if a 'Haig centric' afternoon leads to a similar level of boorishness that text posts on our forum often produce.

True, but until they try it, they won't know what they are missing! :w00t:

I suppose being in Santa Fe is a pretty good reason for not travelling to Birmingham in March.

As for boorishness, we're all very well behaved at the conference, and I'd like to see someone try to be boorish in front of Gordon Corrigan!

Your posting comes across as quite rude, Ken. Did you mean to be, or have I read it incorrectly? People posting from the conference or indeed reporting back afterwards are trying to keep people informed of the day's events, as some people who cannot make it have asked.

You could always try not reading if you find our comments so boorish.

The only moment of confrontation that I can recall, and I have attended all of them, was in connection with a packet of fig rolls.

And that was in jest.

Anyway - I am very much looking forward to it - and to making I hope some new forum pals on the day.

Keith

Chris is of course absolutely right, and if the fig roll was visible in my cheek while I posted I apologise.

Keith

Ken

It is not reasonable for anyone, from whatever corners of the globe they come from, to denigrate the VOLUNTARY efforts of so many on behalf of the few (thousands out of millions!) who attend our events.

You have soured the atmosphere. If this event is not for you perhaps next year you could suggest, AND HELP ORGANISE, our next event.

Your call now.

Martin

No denigration intended. Sorry I mentioned anything. Proof, if any were needed, that entering any post about that general is risky.

No problem at all Ken.

Anyway, tickets are still available but are going fast - so please get in touch if you are interested

And in case you are wondering about the fifth speaker, there should be an announcement in a few days....

And in case you are wondering about the fifth speaker, there should be an announcement in a few days....

(Please let it be Dan Snow... :innocent: )

That would ensure Mr Filsell's attendance I am sure.

Keith

Mrs Seany aka Mieke Toye has just paypalled for three places. Oh I hope we can be boorish this year. Guests names are with the paypal note, looking forward to it immensely