Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Germany : Fritz Limbach - letters from the front - 1915

JWK

Would be nice to know what those "dicke Gelbe" - 'fat yellow' - things are. Some form of chemical agent? Smoke screen?

Das sind Pikringranaten.

This term references to Pikrin (acid) grenades that covered the area where explosion took place in a yellowish color

Very nasty - chlor·o·pic·rin (klōr'ō-pik'rin),

A toxic lung irritant and lacrimatory gas; also causes vomiting, colic, and diarrhea, and is therefore called vomiting gas.

Ulrich, Trajan, Egbert, Langdon : thanks for the contributions.

I learn something new every day!

Those "dicke Gelbe" sound a little nasty.

Fritz does not write about them, other than that they fly overhead.

He did write earlier about sulphur-grenades, back in April, saying "they stink more than that they do damage", but nothing about those "dicke Gelbe".

But maybe he just saw them flying overhead, and didn't smell the contents because he was at the Prellbock, on the front line?

From what I understand the preliminary artilleryfire of the English was directed more at the German reserve- and communicationtrenches than at the front-trenches?

As Trajan noted before: the soldiers dó wear a mish-mash of clothing: shoes or boots, gamasches or trousers (corduroy or not), caps in all sorts and sizes (but no helmets, not óne is wearing a helmet). Was that commonplace in the German army? Seems like a very liberal attitude.

Edited by JWK

... the soldiers dó wear a mish-mash of clothing: shoes or boots, gamasches or trousers (corduroy or not), caps in all sorts and sizes (but no helmets, not óne is wearing a helmet). Was that commonplace in the German army? Seems like a very liberal attitude.

Jan,

You have put your finger on something I have been wondering about at the back of my mind... The quite casual attitude shown by the lack of expected regular and orderly gear - some with gamasche, some with boots, some with shoes, some with some without kokarde, no sign of gas masks, some with brandenburg cuffs, some with belts... Exactly what would expect from a front-line unit, but so different from what most photographs show.

Julian

This guy is quite smart,

I copied it over from the Flicker thread - He is in the 16'ers Trench but there was no other info.

post-103138-0-32680600-1411504331_thumb.

Anyone think he has a Lugar pistol stashed in his pouch ?

As Trajan noted before: the soldiers dó wear a mish-mash of clothing: shoes or boots, gamasches or trousers (corduroy or not), caps in all sorts and sizes (but no helmets, not óne is wearing a helmet). Was that commonplace in the German army? Seems like a very liberal attitude.

At that time they have "only" the Pickelhaube with the cover. The first pieces of the "Stahlhelm" (M1916) were send to the trenches first in February 1916

Jan you have warned us that tomorrow ( 99 years to the day )

is the day of reckoning…!!!! For Fritz

… Like so many on both sides on the Western Front , He did not choose it, many of these poor fellows died.

We honour them doing things like this, and because the internet is searchable, everyone can find history !!

This can have many reseans. Lost or the Feldmütze was so old that it hangs down und so can´t see them.

Re: missing national kokarden. Other than knowing what the colours meant I had not really looked at these or how they were attached, and I have since learned that some were in effect buttons that were sewn on, and others were metal with prongs. Now I better understand how they could be detached and lost. So thanks Ulrich for inspiring that search for information!

And remembering what day this is, and echoing Martin, I will at lunchtime today raise a glass in memory of dear Fritz, whom we have all got to know so well. RIP.

Trajan

...continued from post # 96

25 September 1915 ,

The German HQ communique, the “Heeresbericht”, describes the proceedings in a few sentences:

“Western front:

Along the whole front, from the North Sea right to the border with Switzerland, enemy fire increased considerably, and was especially heavy to the east of Ypres, between the canal of la Bassee and Arras, as well as from Prosnes, in the Champagne region, up to the Argonnes.

After the, at some places 50 hours of preliminary heavy fire, the expected attacks have begun.

Between Ieper and Rousselaere, and near Comines the English broke through early this morning.

On the Northern flank the attack has been repelled, after close combat in and in front of our tenches.

Furthermore the English attack to the North East and South East of Armentieres, and to the North of the canal of la Bassee, using gas and stink bombs.

…. “

The Regimental History of IR16, published in Berlin in 1927, describes the day in more detail:

25 september 1915:

“Deserters and prisoners had predicted a large English attack for the 25th september. With flat-shooting trenchguns [“flachschießenden Grabenkanonen”] the enemy had damaged our barbed wire and foreward defences quite badly, and at places it was completely destroyed.

So we could not ignore anymore the possibility of an imminent attack by the enemy.

I and II Bataillon were in the front trenches, III Bataillon was scheduled to relieve I Bataillon in the early morning hours. [of the 25th]

A remarkable calm opened the day. III Bataillon started the relief of I Bataillon, when all of a sudden, at 0645 in the morning, thick yellowish clouds rolled over our trenches, covering everything in an impenetrable mist. Gasalarm !

Everybody grabs their gasmask, and sets fire to the lightly flammable remains of the forward defences. In no time the defences are covered in flames. An imposing sight!

The grenades of the enemy land behind the trenches, thus allowing our brave defenders to regroup in the fronttrenches, shielded by the burning defences, and wait for the things to come.

Some men were considerably overcome by the gas, and here and there the commanders had to be inventive in order to keep their companies together .

After about 45 minutes , with the gas clouds slowly dispersing, the English get out of their trenches, and find themselves immediately under cataclysmic [“verheerendes”] machinegun- and artillery fire. They cannot advance, and retreat to their trenches suffering many casualties.

Am Prellbock it comes to fierce handgrenade-battles, but in the end we were victoriuous.

No Englishman has reached our trenches. “

“The casualties of the Regiment 16 , for the period of 1 september upto 31 october 1915, were:

Killed : 4 Officers (including 2 doctors), 189 other ranks

Wounded: 4 officers, 505 other ranks

Missing : 14 other ranks

And 84 wounded by gas [“Gaskranke”] “

This is a screenshot from the Verlustlisten for 27 October 1915.

Just for 6 Kompagnie - 16'ers.

I have starred Fritz and some others from Barmen.

I raise a glass to all of them on both sides of the devide

post-103138-0-44622300-1411664583_thumb.

http://des.genealogy.net/search/show/3126729

Just in case you did not know if you open the page you can drag the purple box around to view the text

And 99 years ago at this time, on the evening of 25 september 1915, the Limbachs were completely oblivous of the fate that befell their beloved son,

and with them countless other families in Germany, England, around the world......

They may have read the daily communique of Headquarters in the newspaper, but that just gave broad outlines, nothing specific.

Fritz's last letter of the 23rd was posted on the 24th, so it arrived at the family-home áfter he had died.....

Makes you shiver really.

Edited by JWK

So very touching. Such insight in the life and fate of one soldier is heartbreaking. Multiplied by every lost soul the sensation is, mercifully, unfathomable.

Again, thank you for sharing.

/Dan

Jan, what a great, moving and sober hommage to this forgotten soul. He was allowed to live again and give testimony of a soldiers normal live in the rotten trenches - if only for a short time on GWF- Fritz Limbach R.I.P.

Dan & Egbert,

many many thanks for the accolades (I really don't deserve them. Fritz made me do it), but Fritz's story does not end here.

There are quite a few things to come still.

So bear with when, for a start, I try to get to grips with thàt letter from Leutnant Breunig, that ominous letter....

Where Fritz's German was just a pure and utter delight to read (and translate), Leutnant Breunig's is squarely in the "advanced' section of the German language (my third language), and, as it turns out to be, quite a challenge to translate that into understandable English (my second language).

Well you do deserve the accolades because as of just now 2,086 people know of Fritz Limbach. ( and his mates )

I am so happy that you have more, I was wondering how you were going to end the thread . So do you also have the fateful letter too!!

Jan. If you need some help with the letter from Leutnant Breunig, please led me know. You have done a really good job her. Thanks

Thanks for the offer, Ulrich, may take you up on that later.

For now this letter has been translated (of sorts). The German Leutnant Breunig uses I find very "stiff" and it doesn't flow nicely, so that's why I was having some problems.

....continued from post # 110

On Saturday 2 october 1915, exactly one week after that fateful 25 september, Leutnant Breunig writes a letter to Fritz's family :

Sehr geehrte familie Limbach,

As you may know already the English again tried to break through our lines. At our Regiment’s they tried to break through the iron wall of our brave Hacketäuers.

The 6.Kompagnie occupies , with one platoon, an extremely important forward trench. Your valued son was part of the crew of this trench, called the “Prellbock-Stellung”.

The enemy, who had been bombarding our lines with heavy artillery-fire for a few days already causing considerable damage, commenced the infantery attack on 25 September 0745 in the morning.

The attack, preceded by a gas attack, was repelled thanks to our brave Prellbock-platoon and our fortified trenches.

Unfortunately this brilliant defence against the attack, which almost came up to our barbed wire defences, could not be accomplished without sacrifices on our side.

The Kompagnie mourns the loss of 9 comrades. One of these heroes was your son, the Einjahrige Fritz Limbach.

Your son, who proved himself a real Hacketäuer in this battle, unfortunately had to sacrifice his life for our valued Fatherland.

He was killed instantly by a bullet to the head, and died without regaining consciousness.

All men in the Kompagnie, and also I, mourn very much the loss of such a brave soldier, who through his comradeship was very much loved throughout the Kompagnie.

Please accept the most heartfelt condoleances from all his comrades.

On 27 september 1915 your son was buried with full military honours.

He found his last restingplace, together with the other heroes of the Kompanie, in a massgrave on the Ehrenfriedhof in Douvrin.

A cross with inscription has been placed on his grave.

May it be a solace for you to know that your beloved son gave his young life for his beloved Fatherland as a hero.

This will, I hope, ease your pain and terrible loss.

In remembrance of our dear comrade, I am

Sincerely

(Was signed) Breunig

Leutnant der Reserve and Kompagnie commander.

Ps: the effects found with the deceased are enclosed.

These "effects" I believe are these two little pocketbooks:

IMG_20140926_0001_zps7f50bd09.jpg

IMG_20140926_0002_zps6a0ecef2.jpg

and

IMG_20140926_0003_zpsa5feb37f.jpg

The Ehrenfriedhof in Douvrin :

Seite093a_zpsedc1d59c.jpg

More to come

Edited by JWK

Excellent presentation of this archive & remembrance of this soldier. Thank You forf your efforts.

Can anyone identify the British unit(s) that attacked this part of the line that day? What losses they had & maybe what their reports said about the action?

I believe that this is the battle of Loos.

The forces amassed on the Allied side of the front line suffered hideous casualty rates too.

Fritz did describe Scots and Indians in his early posts.

For the final phase

I think Fritz and his mates had to withstand a massive gas cloud followed by some intense hand to hand grenade fighting.

That would be in the area south of the canal.

If you are an English reader, I think it is described here.

http://www.1914-1918.net/bat13.htm

Part way down there is a large chunk of info regarding the 25th September 1915.

if Chris Baker is reading this I hope it fits with his writings.

Anyway

How horrible to learn that Fritz gets shot in the head. Horrible for the family to know this too.

but I suppose the family did know what happened and got "closure" unlike the unknown grave situation where family got no information.

@loader, thanks very much !

The "Engländer" opposite were the 2nd South Staffordshires on that fateful day, Saturday the 25th of September 1915.

I have their war-diary, and all pages and dates are there, but "ofcourse' the entry for 25th September 1915 is missing......

But who were there in the months before: I don't quite know yet. 1st KRR is what comes to mind, because the 2nd South Staffs relieved them quite a few times in the month or two before the battle of Loos.

But in the months leading upto 25th september there were "English, Scoittish and Indian" troops there, but who where they?

During my research into what actually happened there that day, at that very specific point of the front, I came across Captain Kilby

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Forbes_Gordon_Kilby

and his heroic actions on the towpath alongside the Canal de la Bassée

Could this be the "handgrenade-battle" in which Fritz lost his life?

Fritz was in the Prellbock Kompagnie straddling the Canal de la Bassée:

AuchyIR16_zps7113679f.jpg

and, as he writes in his letters, in front of them was a marsh, unsuitable for tunneling under (and walking through I'd imagine) so the only way to attack the Prellbock would have been through the towpath alongside the canal.

But then, this is just pure speculation on my side.

@Martin

"Shot in the head, and died instantly" is I think the most humane way of telling the bereaved relations that their son/brother/father/friend/husband is no more. I've seen it used in other letters. Ofcourse you don't want to write to the family that their beloved son/ brother etc. died in agony, so you use "the easy way out"

But then : díd he die of a shot to the head?

As mentioned in my post there's more to come.

Yes 2/south Staffs and 1/Kings are in the text below , 130 men from South staffs got done by their own gas cloud…!!

By 9.00am it was clear that no progress was going to be made, and Brigade gave orders to withdraw to the original front lines. Men of 1/Middlesex could not from no man's land and took whatever cover the could until dark. Some men of the 2/Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders occupied an empty German trench, but only 11 returned at night, the rest having been killed or captured. On the left of this Brigade and up to the canal bank was 6th Brigade. Here an officer of the RE thought that the wind conditions were so poor for the gas he would not take responsibility for it's release. Brigade ordered him to continue, but it was 6.00am before the order came through, ten minutes behind timetable. Two mines were exploded by 170th Tunnelling Company RE, adding to the confusion. The cloud was so dense that it incapacitated 130 men of the 2/South Staffordshire before they could begin to advance. The leading waves of the 1/King's found the wire uncut, and the advance did not progress beyond the far lip of the new craters before being brought to a standstill, except for a party of the South Staffords who edged along the canal towpath to the edge of Embankment Redoubt where they were held off by German grenades.

I am sure this is spot on !! you described ( Prellbock ) as being on british trench maps as Embankment Redoubt

It would be right for Kilby too!!

Jan, so now you say "did he die of a shot to the head,?"………….. more intrigue!!

.....continued from post #119

On 3 october 1915 Feldwebel Scheffel writes a letter to the Limbach family, describing the circumstances of Fritz’s death :

“On 25 september 1915 shortly before 06:30 hrs the English attacked , with great might and supported by an earlier gas-attack, our “Prellbock”. When the thick cloud was behind us the English, who were following behind the cloud, were right in front of us. Gunfire erupted.

The hidden English machineguns fired like crazy, and our machinegun returned fire. The up to then unknown [to the English] position of our machinegun was thereby known, and the enemy tried to capture it.

They threw handgrenades into the position, which unfortunately led to casualties .

Fritz, who was there by chance, and many of his comrades were killed by the explosions.

He silently fell backwards, feeling no pain. “

So did Fritz by a shot to the head, or in a handgrenade explosion?

Otto Mertens writes a letter on 9 October, and he too mentions a “Kopfschuss”, but then, like Leutnant Breunig, he was not present in Fritz’s hour.

Whereas Feldwebel Scheffel was there in the thick of it.

In the days following the sad news letters from family and friends pour in, from his cousin Walter Nettelbeck e.g. , from the Steigleders, from a certain Leutnant Plutte (he’s is R.I.R. 30) and also a truly sad letter from his friend Walter Benzenberg who is in the East (in present-day Lithuania) and has clearly not yet heard the news.

He congratulates the family on Fritz’s birthday, and hopes the French and the English haven’t gotten to him so that Fritz can celebrate his birthday in the field in good spirits and health.....

Thanks to all for the identity of the British unit attacking the position. Now we know it was an action where a VC was earned by Capt. Kilby. Looking forward to what comes next in this amazing account.