Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Great War Bandwagon

Skipman

Is any one doing a tank teapot?

I have one somewhere. I will go look for it.

Click

" How about a tank top? "

Good one Ron

Mike

Thanks, I was trying to get one to use for tea, and call it Deborah.....

We used to have in the corner of the office what we called "the tatteria" for the most tacky souvenir that could be brought back from overseas business trips. It was generally accepted that the squeaky vinyl dog toy of a bust of Ghandhi was tops, but I preferred the statue of Mao which when you pressed a button his eyes flashed and it played "The East is Red". Delicacy prevents a description of the "Arizona Turd Burd" (sic). Quite tasteful by comparison with some of the centenary tat we are being emotionally blackmailed with...

We had a similar competition connected with the annual school French trips organised by a friend of mine. Unfortunately it had to be abandoned after he purchased a St. Bernadette of Lourdes snow-globe. Nothing could top that.

The Waitrose 'Weekend' Magazine dated 24th July 2014, which is a customer 'freebie', contained a six page tribute 'Remembering World War One'. With contributions from Michael Morpurgo and Max Hastings, all very well done. There was a sidebar section 'breaking the silence', all the quotes in this were lazily lifted straight from 'Catastrophe' by Sir Max. Surely there are any number of stories to be gleaned from the history of the people that served in the conflict, from the parent company of John Lewis. An opportunity lost in my opinion.

Mike.

We had a similar competition connected with the annual school French trips organised by a friend of mine. Unfortunately it had to be abandoned after he purchased a St. Bernadette of Lourdes snow-globe. Nothing could top that.

Presumably the vendor had a vision of wealth.

Hilarious... do they come according to the places you intent to visit???

I'm afraid we're in for a lot of this stuff over the next years. Don't get me wrong, but there is a way our communities will have to pay for all the centenary commemorations ... why not with souvenirs???

M.

Joking aside, there was a lot of what you might call tat sold during the war itself. Tank-shaped teapots and hand bags, for example. Plus ca change. There seems to have always been an appetite for tat, sorry, kitsch, sorry, tastefully designed souvenir remembrances.

Dulux make a paint called 'Trench Coat'. It's a pale cream colour. I've used it on my garden shed.

Two photographs

of Lieutenant (later Major) Alfred Roy Clare Smith of the Coldstream Guards for £330?

"Low 'Buy it Now' price, but sensible offers will be considered," says the vendor.

Moonraker

Are any of you planning on buying one of the poppies from the Tower installation? The price plus postage is a bit steep for me across the sea, but I can imagine it on my bookcase easily! If I lived there, I would be mightily tempted.

Wasn't there a thread from a sadly deceased forum pal about a tee shirt he purchased on the Somme with a mis-spelling, 'Best We Forget'?

Wasn't there a thread from a sadly deceased forum pal about a tee shirt he purchased on the Somme with a mis-spelling, 'Best We Forget'?

Close, it was 'Lets we Forget', but I won't mention where we got them. I still have mine somewhere; didn't have the heart to throw it away!

Extensive practical research in Ieper last week has revealed that 'Wipers Times' beer is the product of a new brewery based in the casemates of the city walls. Jolly good it is too.