Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Great War Bandwagon

Skipman

I'm sure over the next months and years the Great War Bandwagon will gather momentum.

Here's a very small example from Amazon They must think we're mugs? Click

Any more examples of 'all aboard the bandwagon'?

Mike

.......Polyester coated dishwasher safe ceramic mug. Weight 11oz, diameter 80mm, height 95mm. Image printed twice where practical and attached using dye sublimation process for seamless appearance and vivid colours. Sent in polystyrene box with card outer.....

Sounds like a bargain to me!

Mike, Mike - you really need to distinguish between pre-centenary Great War tat and 'proper' Great War Centenary Tat - I suspect a lot of us have an example of the former tucked away somewhere (photos please). The real thing just has to have '2014' on it somewhere.

Sue

It's all done in the best possible taste................................

I rather fancy the Wing Commanders 'tache advertised on the same page but I think Broomers has already bought one.

Mike, Mike - you really need to distinguish between pre-centenary Great War tat and 'proper' Great War Centenary Tat - I suspect a lot of us have an example of the former tucked away somewhere (photos please). The real thing just has to have '2014' on it somewhere.

Sue

:D Right enough Sue. I have to be more discerning.

Pete. Taste is the name of the game.

Mike

It occured to me while I was ordering my mug and a gross of the tea towels that the years 1914 to 18 were not free from the marketing of items of questionable utility for the boys in the trenches. One of the many wonderful things in the Wipers Times are the satirical advertisments that lampoon this. My personal favourite is the combined gas hood and mouth organ (keeps the troops' spirits up during chlorine attacks).

Pete.

combined gas hood and mouth organ (keeps the troops' spirits up during chlorine attacks

Pete.

One of them will be worth a fortune now?

Mike

Undoubtedly Mike, who knows, it may be an item on the next WW1 themed Antiques Roadshow. On the wider questionable WW1 related tat issue does the team think it will last for years or be over by Christmas?

Pete.

I rather fancy the Wing Commanders 'tache advertised on the same page but I think Broomers has already bought one.

Nonsense. I grow them for sale.

There are various commemorative beers being brewed in Belgium for the Centenary, including one called 'Wipers Times' which I hadn't spotted previously. The accompanying blurb for some of them is in questionable taste.

The first review for the Kaiser Helmet has me worried. " I wore out my old helmet and needed a new one. Had lots of fun with it. I need to be careful with the spike on top. I will be using my helmet a lot." :thumbsup:

Does the beer taste questionable too?

It must be said that bad taste is subjective (see kitsh)

A very dear friend of mine has a tat corner which has an amazing collection of snow storms, religious tat/kitsh. fridge magnets etc. It does give the odd (very) smile from time to time, particularly when he is dining up-top business colleagues and contacts for dinner.

Personally I think his hugely ugly and hugely huge Bentley convertible in far worse taste.

To be honest the tat worries me less than the huge number of third rate books, television programmes and newspaper stories - and when will the hidden library of repetitive, frequently ill edited and referenced, individual diaries, personal accounts ever end.

That said every time I swear never to open another one of merit turns up - but they are few and far between. The ratio of worthwhile editions of this type runs at about one in ten in my estimation.

I thought that 'Wipers Times' tasted quite good. However I don't think that the 'Passchendaele' beer, whose advertising is particularly kitsch/tasteless depending on your view, isn't a patch on the old, lamented Passendale.

One piece of memorabilia I do miss is the old reproduction yellow 'Not to be Scrounged' mug they used to sell at Talbot House.

Currently, a 'Mint' - not The Royal Mint - has a full page advert in one of the Radio and TV magazines promulgating a

£5.00 Centenary Coin, with all the usual blurb pulling at the heartstrings - 'At the going down of the sun......' 'The ultimate sacrifice' etc. It's made from cupro-nickel, and is legal tender - only in Guernsey