Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

18 minutes ago, neverforget said:

If our Pete @Fattyowls looks in I don't think he will stay unidentified for long. 

We'll let him run for a while then :thumbsup:

Colin Blythe ?

20 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

Colin Blythe ?

That's the one. One of Enlands finest spin bowlers. Killed at second Passchendale and buried at Oxford Rd cemetery. I read that Pete had visited his grave. 20240319_162344.jpg.528ff5839bd3eefd3fe8028270fd472c.jpg

https://www.kentcricket.co.uk/news/kent-remembers-colin-blythe/

Screenshot_20240319-134247_Chrome.jpg.052a5c36589f2a6e1e128aba04c14a6e.jpg

Screenshot_20240319-153709_Chrome.jpg.19245e95deb0eeb2d463e5c2581c965d.jpg

Edited by neverforget

1 hour ago, neverforget said:

That's the one. One of Enlands finest spin bowlers. Killed at second Passchendale and buried at Oxford Rd cemetery. I read that Pete had visited his grave. 

Not even close to that one....lime tree and river only got me to Linden Lea and didn't think that Vaughan-Williams came any where near to fitting the bill.

Any way on a similar vein two WiTs for the price of one...this is my own photograph so its not from t'internet. Who are the two men circled..I suspect that they have been mentioned on the thred before

wit 22.png

3 minutes ago, ilkley remembers said:

Not even close to that one....lime tree and river only got me to Linden Lea and didn't think that Vaughan-Williams came any where near to fitting the bill.

Any way on a similar vein two WiTs for the price of one...this is my own photograph so its not from t'internet. Who are the two men circled..I suspect that they have been mentioned on the thred before

wit 22.png

https://www.kentcricket.co.uk/news/kent-crickets-lime-tree-legend/

Now then, to try to have a go at your (cricket based?) WIT.

1 minute ago, neverforget said:

Now then, to try to have a go at your (cricket based?) WIT.

Barking up the wrong tree again ...yes its cricket based

Certainly a bunch of likely looking lads.

3 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Certainly a bunch of likely looking lads.

Photo was taken in September 1914. They got hammered on the Somme in 1916

William Booth and Roy Kilner? Two Leeds Pals kia first day of the Somme?

4 minutes ago, neverforget said:

William Booth and Roy Kilner? Two Leeds Pals kia first day of the Somme?

Spot on...although, only Booth was killed. Kilner survived but died in the early 1920s. Both played for England as did another Leeds Pal Arthur Dolphin. Booth was killed on 1st July it is said died in the arms of another England cricketer Abe Waddington of the Bradford pals who followed the Leeds Pals into the attack at Serre. 

The Leeds Pals loved being photographed and this was taken during training at Colsterdale in Yorkshire...(I have a large collection of them)...and this is one of them.

Well done @neverforget

4 minutes ago, ilkley remembers said:

Spot on...although, only Booth was killed. Kilner survived but died in the early 1920s. Both played for England as did another Leeds Pal Arthur Dolphin. Booth was killed on 1st July it is said died in the arms of another England cricketer Abe Waddington of the Bradford pals who followed the Leeds Pals into the attack at Serre. 

The Leeds Pals loved being photographed and this was taken during training at Colsterdale in Yorkshire...(I have a large collection of them)...and this is one of them.

Well done @neverforget

Thanks. Whenever I go on a hunch and put 2 and 2 together I'm lucky to get as near as 5. 

I took a wild guess at cricketers from Leeds/Bradford pals , and this was the first page that came up..

https://livesofthefirstworldwar.iwm.org.uk/story/26099

41 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Thanks. Whenever I go on a hunch and put 2 and 2 together I'm lucky to get as near as 5. 

I took a wild guess at cricketers from Leeds/Bradford pals , and this was the first page that came up..

https://livesofthefirstworldwar.iwm.org.uk/story/26099

Well played you certainly hit a 6 this time. Both cities are just a few miles down the road from Ilkley and the story of the Pals associated with them is well remembered in thses parts

19 minutes ago, ilkley remembers said:

Well played you certainly hit a 6 this time. Both cities are just a few miles down the road from Ilkley and the story of the Pals associated with them is well remembered in thses parts

Elsewhere too, and rightly so. 

On 19/03/2024 at 15:44, neverforget said:

our Pete

.....was actually thrown by the clues, but then it doesn't take much to confuse me these days. It is actually very educational when I recognised him; I once lived very close to the river (have you fished it matey?). Moreover I didn't know the tree was a lime. I'm attaching a picture which I took of his grave. I've seen it argued that he was the greatest loss to his sport in the whole of WW1 and now I come to think of it there is a sad parallel with one of his successors in the England XI a quarter of a century later who hailed from the same county as Booth and Kilner.

F. Owls.

Colin Blythe.JPG

Edited by Fattyowls
Forgot to post the photo. Schoolboy error.

15 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

.....was actually thrown by the clues, but then it doesn't take much to confuse me these days. It is actually very educational when I recognised him; I once lived very close to the river (have you fished it matey?). Moreover I didn't know the tree was a lime. I'm attaching a picture which I took of his grave. I've seen it argued that he was the greatest loss to his sport in the whole of WW1 and now I come to think of it there is a sad parallel with one of his successors in the England XI a quarter of a century later who hailed from the same county as Booth and Kilner.

F. Owls.

Colin Blythe.JPG

Thanks Pete. Yes I've cycled to, and fished the Blythe a few times in my younger days, mostly around Barston, and had many fine fish from it including several beautiful wild brown trout, (all of which were returned of course.) I'm trying to think of the Yorkshire cricketer to whom you refer. Maybe your good self or Mr. Remembers might enlighten us.

14 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Maybe your good self or Mr. Remembers might enlighten us.

I'm sure Mr R will know and reveal the truth........

Edited by Fattyowls
Missing Words (as the Selecter used to sing)

13 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

Verily ;)

1 hour ago, Fattyowls said:

1 hour ago, neverforget said:

Verily 

Yes the great Hedley Verity...lived just a few miles away from here in Guiseley. Yorkshire CCC was full of great cricketing legends in the inter war period Bill Bowes and Len Hutton to name just two

Wit?

image.png.98279bfa9b1b2c219dc763dd2e28a98a.png

18 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

Wit?

image.png.98279bfa9b1b2c219dc763dd2e28a98a.png

Can I be first to say "I haven't a clue?"

1 minute ago, neverforget said:

Can I be first to say "I haven't a clue?"

I'm sorry.....

• Admin
4 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

I'm sorry.....

Footballer, 1912 Olympics?

3 minutes ago, Bob Davies said:

Footballer, 1912 Olympics?

Yes and no, or at least I don't think so. But I would not be surprised. He may well be somewhere in this photo (courtesy of Egbert).

PanoramaLuisenhofBlickNordThilloy_LouisenhofRiegel.jpg.c6cc322a494f9e6ce70c60ad265b2faa.jpg

Wild guess: James Brannick?

Pete

Would it be someone from your neck of the woods ?