Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

Hadnt noticed that, but even if it was deciphering it is well beyond me. 

I hope he is Eric Bagot Maturin from the following clues (inc wiki)

1 Peter Moran was MD of Barratt Homes until this month.

2 Colonel Moran was an villain in the 1951 Sherlock Holmes tv play An Empty House, the actor playing his part was Eric Maturin.

3 The connection to Master and Commander, the physician on board the ship was called Stephen Maturin and featured in several of the novels of the genre.

Eric served in the RFA from 1914-17, including Mespot, he was invalided back to the UK with what is now PTSD. In late 1917 he was transfered to the anti aircraft defence and on the books of the RFC, albeit for a short period of time before he was declared unfit. In 1940 he again re-enlisted.

2 minutes ago, Knotty said:

I hope he is Eric Bagot Maturin from the following clues (inc wiki)

1 Peter Moran was MD of Barratt Homes until this month.

2 Colonel Moran was an villain in the 1951 Sherlock Holmes tv play An Empty House, the actor playing his part was Eric Maturin.

3 The connection to Master and Commander, the physician on board the ship was called Stephen Maturin and featured in several of the novels of the genre.

Eric served in the RFA from 1914-17, including Mespot, he was invalided back to the UK with what is now PTSD. In late 1917 he was transfered to the anti aircraft defence and on the books of the RFC, albeit for a short period of time before he was declared unfit. In 1940 he again re-enlisted.

I'm prepared to believe you at this point John until proved otherwise.

If John is wrong I think we should change the name of the WiT? so he's right after all that.

7 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

If John is wrong I think we should change the name of the WiT? so he's right after all that.

Fair comment I think Pete.

1 hour ago, Nepper said:

I believe he got as high as General between the wars

Not sure about that.  I can only find reference to him being a Captain in 1919 and a Major in 1924.  But very possible.   I must plead ignorance (............lifelong)

1 hour ago, Heid the Ba said:

I'm assuming that isn't his own signature on the photo?

Got me there-what signature?

Edited by Guest

3 minutes ago, voltaire60 said:

Not sure about that.  I can only find reference to him being a Captain in 1919 and a Major in 1924.  But very possible.   I must plead ignorance (............lifelong)

In 1928 he played the lead in a production of Macbeth, the producer set it during the war with Maturin as Macbeth as a red-tabbed General and Duncan as a Field-Marshal.  Apparently the reviews weren't great as Maturin delivered his lines with "a machine-gun rattle that annihilated the verse".

Very well done Knotty.  You even got one obscure clue I ahdn't set!!

Yes, the now forgotten actor, Eric Maturin -one of those stiff upper lip types who played British military men in an y number of films. His credits included Sanders of the River and A Matter of Life and Death.  His ranks (just to mislead) are those in roles played, as listed on IMDB. I am not sure that he played a General

The Maturin clue is, of course, to the character of that name in Master and Commander

The Barratt Homes clue may be wrong anyway (so extra credit,Knotty). The attempted murder is-as you correctly say- to the 1951 Sherlock Holmes story of Colonel Sebastian Moran.  The same character was played by Patrick Allen in the (best) 1980s version of Holmes.  And I seem to remember the same actor jumping out of helicopters in adverts for Barratt Homes many years ago. Unaware that Moran was their MD!!

Just now, Nepper said:

In 1928 he played the lead in a production of Macbeth, the producer set it during the war with Maturin as Macbeth as a red-tabbed General and Duncan as a Field-Marshal.  Apparently the reviews weren't great as Maturin delivered his lines with "a machine-gun rattle that annihilated the verse".

Ah-excellent-  useful information. There is a whole Ph.D waiting for the influence of the Great War on British Shakspearian theatre. And I thought Shaekspearian thespians tranposing  the Bard to modern military settings was only Ian McKellen and Anthony Sher.

Time for another gentlemen (and Jane)?  - or shall I hawk the next one round the Christmas cracker manufacturers? (Cheap end of the market of course)

Take a break MrV,

Who is this lady,and what was her Great War “first”

(Apologies if she has been on before....haven’t checked)

Clue she is Canadian

CCD8FA1B-52F9-45AD-92CE-8AF443362DE1.jpeg

Edited by Knotty

16 hours ago, voltaire60 said:

Got me there-what signature?

A signature shows up quite clearly on my system, now I know who it is it looks a lot like "Eric Maturin".  It starts to the left of his tie and runs across the bottom.

20 hours ago, Knotty said:

Take a break MrV,

Who is this lady,and what was her Great War “first”

(Apologies if she has been on before....haven’t checked)

Clue she is Canadian

CCD8FA1B-52F9-45AD-92CE-8AF443362DE1.jpeg

I've found her, John.

Got her autograph too. 

20181213_153526.png.364de0c8f4c6d1aa76cffaa6e74ab6d7.png

Well done NF correctly identified, but to earn the point what was her GW first?

Then you can have the extra point for her autograph😁

8 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Well done NF correctly identified, but to earn the point what was her GW first?

Then you can have the extra point for her autograph😁

First woman to achieve the rank of 'Major' in the British Empire?

It would appear that this lady also holds a position which was unique to her.

Who is she, and how is she the one and only???

Clue: Australian. 

20181212_101325.png.417e1f38c72759958a4aeb2bbf4eecb5.png

30 minutes ago, David Filsell said:

She has two food dishes named after her

I have to say that even though I (hopefully) know her identity, I can't see that. 

I will offer a further clue though. As per Knotty's last subject, mine is nursing related.

Burning some midnight oil on these, (clue look at my number of posts.😃)

Back to the subject in hand NF, perchance was she born in Liverpool?

55 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Burning some midnight oil on these, (clue look at my number of posts.😃)

Back to the subject in hand NF, perchance was she born in Liverpool?

It would seem that she may well have been.

Not the Liverpool in Lancashire, though. 

Ron

Indeed. 100% Australian. 

I thought Ron was going to post her name?

As he hasn’t I will, it is Marion Leanne Smith, the only known Indigenous Aborigine known to had served in the Great War.

Link below to a lady not generally recognised enough for her service.

https://www.sbs.com.au/nitv/nitv-the-point/article/2018/11/08/very-proud-remembering-only-known-aboriginal-woman-serve-wwi

That'll do for me John. Well played.