Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

40 minutes ago, durham dave said:

7766 Julius Strecher

The sinister Julius Streicher it is. Well spotted. Seen above after getting his just deserts.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julius_Streicher

3 minutes ago, neverforget said:

The sinister Julius Streicher it is. Well spotted. Seen above after getting his just deserts.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julius_Streicher

As this is GWF- Streicher was an elementary school teacher. Enlisting in 1914, he won Iron Cross 2nd Class as a message runner in the West. Then (Unusual as non-aristocrat) as being selected for officer training, then served in the East-Romania and Italy with a Mountain Machine Gun Detachment. Won Iron Cross 1st Class (in 1918?) while back in the West.

The service careers of Germany's generals and politicians of WW2 during the Great War seems to be little considered. As with Streicher-what went wrong?

3 minutes ago, voltaire60 said:

As this is GWF- Streicher was an elementary school teacher. Enlisting in 1914, he won Iron Cross 2nd Class as a message runner in the West. Then (Unusual as non-aristocrat) as being selected for officer training, then served in the East-Romania and Italy with a Mountain Machine Gun Detachment. Won Iron Cross 1st Class (in 1918?) while back in the West.

The service careers of Germany's generals and politicians of WW2 during the Great War seems to be little considered. As with Streicher-what went wrong?

Perhaps he read (and acted on) Mein Kampf. I inserted the brackets, because I too have read it on the basis of "Know your ememy." What went wrong with him was basically nazism I suppose. Some hints here:

http://www.famous-trials.com/nuremberg/1927-streicher

20171219_193622.png.de7319c01d09349edd25e865647087cc.png

EDITED: Mistaken candidate replaced with this chap. First to....???

Edited by neverforget

First VC to the newly formed RAF - Ferdinand West, former RAMC, then a commissioned officer in the Royal Munster Fus., he transferred to the RFC, already a “seasoned” pilot, with his earlier exploits he won this award during a reconnaissance sortie, on 10th August 1918, when he was “jumped” by several fighter aircraft, with his leg almost severed off by machine gun fire, he made it back to base and made sure he reported what he had seen. Survived the war and led a distinguished RAF career until late 1945, he died in 1988.

http://www.8squadron.co.uk/history_Capt_West_VC.php

14 minutes ago, Knotty said:

First VC to the newly formed RAF - Ferdinand West, former RAMC, then a commissioned officer in the Royal Munster Fus., he transferred to the RFC, already a “seasoned” pilot, with his earlier exploits he won this award during a reconnaissance sortie, on 10th August 1918, when he was “jumped” by several fighter aircraft, with his leg almost severed off by machine gun fire, he made it back to base and made sure he reported what he had seen. Survived the war and led a distinguished RAF career until late 1945, he died in 1988.

http://www.8squadron.co.uk/history_Capt_West_VC.php

Freddie West is correct. First R.A.F. V.C.

No prizes for guessing what is occuring here, but why is this corporal out on his own???

hf.png.7042a8ec3229ccfc461583686cc283b4.png

34 minutes ago, teabreak said:

PS Is he "out on his own" because he was also awarded the Russian Cross of St George? I'm unsure about the circumstances of that award.  

You have him correctly identified, but the other criteria I had in mind was that he was recommended for the V.C. more times than anyone; five times in all. As regards him being awarded the Russian Cross of St. George, I'm not sure if he is unique in that respect. 

Screenshot_20171204-204924.png.8d0a4f68d6ae1edf88f9dff99f54e043.png

http://www.lancashireinfantrymuseum.org.uk/drummer-later-regimental-sergeant-major-spencer-john-bent-vc-mm/

Edited by neverforget

Not to be confused with Lt. Philip Bent, he of the disputed VC ownership and sale, which reminds me to see if there has been any further developments 

38 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Not to be confused with Lt. Philip Bent, he of the disputed VC ownership and sale, which reminds me to see if there has been any further developments 

I noticed that there were two Bent V.Cs. 

Let's hope that Philip's is treated with the respect that it deserves.

So, what's the story here???

mm2.png.d6534093dadaf510856eb5cfb62aa6f3.pngmm1.png.2cb595117db4f60d2992c3343b285a13.png

Another photograph of the King. But who is he with ? ? ? He had a connection with our recent subjects: Guderian, de Gaulle ...

EDIT: sorry nf - we posted at the same time!

image.jpg

Edited by Uncle George

6 minutes ago, neverforget said:

I noticed that there were two Bent V.Cs. 

Let's hope that Philip's is treated with the respect that it deserves.

So, what's the story here???

mm2.png.d6534093dadaf510856eb5cfb62aa6f3.pngmm1.png.2cb595117db4f60d2992c3343b285a13.png

Is he Chief Joe Crow?

No worries Uncle. Not a bad thing to have two on the go at the same time👍

Just now, Uncle George said:

Is he Chief Joe Crow?

Not Joe Crow, and just to be clear, there are two men here.

21 minutes ago, neverforget said:

No worries Uncle. Not a bad thing to have two on the go at the same time👍

Not Joe Crow, and just to be clear, there are two men here.

I've just checked in on WiT? while drinking my first cup of coffee and the only person I've recognised so far is that Sachsen-Coburg und Gotha chap with the full set (his first name will come to me). Now I find that the last one is not one but two people. I need another cup of coffee rapidly.....

Pete.

10 minutes ago, Knotty said:

NF - Is the top gentleman wearing Canadian uniform, making him a Canadian Indian

Well spotted.

10 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

I've just checked in on WiT? while drinking my first cup of coffee and the only person I've recognised so far is that Sachsen-Coburg und Gotha chap with the full set (his first name will come to me). Now I find that the last one is not one but two people. I need another cup of coffee rapidly.....

Pete.

Be careful, the chap you recognise might be the czar. (Only joking😊)

1 hour ago, neverforget said:

Not Joe Crow ...

No, it wouldn't be! Upon checking I see that Joe Crow wasn't born until 1913 - I was way off there.

Is one of your chaps Francis Pegahmagabow?

16 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

No, it wouldn't be! Upon checking I see that Joe Crow wasn't born until 1913 - I was way off there.

Is one of your chaps Francis Pegahmagabow?

Not him either, though he would be a very likely suspect. 

One of them kept a diary:

20171220_103904.png.c6e622dabcdd6ef26ea8583be834abb9.png

At the docs now,  gave me a chance to think a bit so can recommence the challenge.

NF is yours something to do with their tribe name, or something connected to horses or the Canadian cavalry?

3 minutes ago, Knotty said:

At the docs now,  gave me a chance to think a bit so can recommence the challenge.

NF is yours something to do with their tribe name, or something connected to horses or the Canadian cavalry?

One particular horse holds some relevance, but not cavalry. Really it's just a tale of two injuns.

Uncle George, your picture looks a bit strange. It's almost as if the two men ate stood in front of a stage backdrop. I wosh I could decipher the subjects shoulder badge. I'm sure it would help.