Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Battleship souvenirs

PhilB

Roll out the barrels... were Monomark a forebear of Franklin Mint?

Perhaps the largest Battleship souvenir are the parts from one of the "R" Class battleships used in the construction of the large Telescope Dish at Jodrell Bank in Cheshire

I suspect that the pair of 15" naval guns at IWM, London will 'trump' those ^_^, but are either really souvenirs? (HMS President (1918)/Saxifrage, HMS Caroline & HMS M33 would beat both, but, again, not really souvenirs.)

NigelS

Perhaps the largest Battleship souvenir are the parts from one of the "R" Class battleships used in the construction of the large Telescope Dish at Jodrell Bank in Cheshire

They're the internally-geared Training Rings from 15" gun turrets on Revenge and Resolution, and they're now the main altitude control gears of the main dish. Since Revenge was in the Fleet action, the Lovell dish can perhaps be described as the only astronomical telescope that fought at Jutland... :D

Regards,

MikB

Hi Khaki,

Well, here's a small one to start you off. The front of the base measures just over 2.5". Hope you get lots more.

Regards,

Michael.

Whatever that it is, you wouldn't want to be hit by it? Shell or armour?

Khaki,

Image of Jellicoe planter,post-106539-0-73585700-1401184984_thumb. the brass plaque has the usual wording 'From the teak of H.M.S. Iron Duke Admiral Jellicoe's Flag Ship Jutland 1916'.

Mike

Iron Duke's bell is in Winchester Cathedral.

Several houses built in the late 1920s along Fargo Road at Larkhill are constructed from surplus shipbuilding sheet steel which, so local legend has it, is salvage from scuttled High Seas Fleet vessels.

An antiques prog on daytime TV (saddo that I am !) a couple of days back had a double inkwell crafted in the shape of a 12 inch turret, with a small plaque stating that the metal came from SMS Helgoland.

They're the internally-geared Training Rings from 15" gun turrets on Revenge and Resolution, and they're now the main altitude control gears of the main dish. Since Revenge was in the Fleet action, the Lovell dish can perhaps be described as the only astronomical telescope that fought at Jutland...

Cracking story Mik; I think you should be on Stargazing Live if the BBC run it again.....

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have photos now, but:

1. A hand-held flashlight/compass for taking bearings from HMS Repulse (stamped with the ship's name). Also a small compass without all its parts allegedly from Repulse

2. A small sextant in a leather case from HMS King George V.

3. A brass armature and a copper sighting telescope from the aft 4-in gun of Amphion, raised from her wreck before it gained protected status. I made a failed effort to donate this to the NMM this year. Too heavy/big?

4. An HMS Warrior emblem on a wall mount, allegedly taken from her before she was abandoned. I doubt this story, just because there is nothing concrete to back it up.

5. 3 pieces of silver from USS Arizona -- two champagne flutes and a small serving pot. I think the flutes are clearly post war reunionware. There is a small chance the serving pot had some time on the ship.

Most amazing thing I've seen in private hands? The bell from Dreadnought (1906).

tone

Tone,

Have you tried NMRN Portsmouth with Amphion?

sJ

• 9 months later...

Resurrecting this thread, as today I found and bought a teak pen holder with an inbuilt inkwell. This carries a brass plaque marked:-

'From the teak of H.M.S. Queen Elizabeth - Dardanelles 1915 - Earl Beatty's Flagship Grand Fleet 1917'

Have not seen anything from this particular vessel before, a nice thing to have.

Mike.

nice find, see thread #13 for HMS Queen Elizabeth

regards

Bob R.

One item that to my shame I forgot, mainly due to the fact that I do not associate family items with purchased collectables. My late father in law's home city was visited by HMS Hood

'Hood' was anchored in the stream as it was too large for the local docks, (or so I am told), my father in law being a young school boy helped himself to a dinghy and rowed out to the mighty Hood, the ship's officers took him on board and subsequently presented him with a small medal in the shape of a RN officers cap badge. My F.in Law gave the medal to me and I of course I still have it. I know the Hood did not serve in the Great War but I think that it was under construction at the war's end.

khaki

nice find, see thread #13 for HMS Queen Elizabeth

regards

Bob R.

Bob,

Yes, had quite forgotten your previous post #13, think though that items from the 'Queen Elizabeth' do seem to be scarce.

Mike.

Hi,

I have just discovered this thread and thought I should add that I have a piece of HMS Tiger. It was bought at a local auction about a year ago because of my interest in HMS Queen Mary. A bit of a protracted association I grant you, but I believe Tiger was 500 yards astern when QM exploded and is therefore about as close as I am likely to get. You will gather from this that my collecting habits are a bit eclectic, but there were several local lads lost on the QM, so this piece holds some special significance for me.

The object is a bass handwheel, about 5" in diameter, mounted on a turned piece of teak (should that now be an-teak?) which I think was designed as a cigarette holder. I will try to post a picture of it.

Cheers,

Mike

• 3 months later...

New acquisition, the only one I have, I know its not that rare, but I can't help being proud of it. HMS Iron Duke teak with usual reference to Admiral Jellicoe and Jutland. Just over 2.25 inches tall.

khaki

post-29707-0-27777800-1436224159_thumb.j

Khaki,

I have an identical example, think that they were intended to hold matches.

Mike.

The Sinclair Seaman's Church in Belfast has one of the bells from HMS Hood.

It is on the pulpit, which is shaped as a ship’s prow flanked by navigation lights, ship’s binnacle font and the bell, and is used for calling worshippers to service.

Many ships, both RN and MN, were scrapped at Cashmore's Yard in Newport, South Wales.

I don't have any details or any actual relics, but there are a lot of local stories of panelling etc. being re-used (whether legitimately or not!) in houses and offices in Newport and elsewhere.

I had an idea that something from Warspite was in use in Cornwall for some years, but can't remember what.

The Royal Opera house used to have a submarine engine for handing scenery and so on before the big reconstruction. Was it a WW1 sub? (What happened to the engine after the great reconstruction?)

RM

I had an idea that something from Warspite was in use in Cornwall for some years, but can't remember what.

RM

Some mentioned here:

http://1914-1918.inv...showtopic=82681

Previous thread.

I have one of the little barrels, from the Warspite.

Kath.

• 2 weeks later...

Long ago, someone sent me an image showing he possessed HMS Dreadnought's bell... pretty hard to beat that one.

Oops... I see I offered this anecdote long ago in this thread

Edited by DulcetTone

Better late than never...............

My "Tiger" valve wheel

post-100829-0-09263300-1437229308_thumb.

post-100829-0-20726800-1437229317_thumb.