Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Battleship souvenirs

PhilB

1] The HMS Warspite that took part at Trafalgar had a teak hull

No ship bearing the name HMS Warspite was present at Trafalgar, the closest in date was not launched until 1807. There is no indication that she was made of teak in David Lyon, 'The Sailing Navy List; all the ships of the Royal Navy – Built, Purchased and Captured 1688 – 1860', (Conway, London, 1993).

QUOTE (Phil_B @ Sep 24 2007, 04:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This report indicates that teak was a much better material than oak for building Indiamen - lasting twice as long. Presumably it was equally superior for warships in the 20th C.

Another contribution from the empire. Royal Navy ships had to be suited for the North Sea, Med, Far East etc etc, so were fitted accordingly.

No ship bearing the name HMS Warspite was present at Trafalgar, the closest in date was not launched until 1807. There is no indication that she was made of teak in David Lyon, 'The Sailing Navy List; all the ships of the Royal Navy – Built, Purchased and Captured 1688 – 1860', (Conway, London, 1993).

I stand abashed - here is one reference to a Warspite at trafalgar

The Shell Museum Norfolk

The Shell Museum, Glandford, North Norfolk, is a small building with Dutch gables built with flint and red brick in 1915 by Sir Alfred Jodrell, Bart., of Bayfiels Hall in a style to harmonize with the rest of the village.

The original purpose was to house a collection of shells made over a period of 60 years by Sir Alfred Jodrell himself. These shells come from all corners of the earth, and the collection is constantly being added to. There are shells of every hue - shells as delicately coloured as butterfly wings, shells exquisitely carved.

Some of the most pleasing exhibits are those that stretch the shelly theme such as a tiny barrel, no more than 6 cm high: 'made from the teak of HMS Warspite - a ship which was involved in the Battle of Trafalgar'.

Ah I see the level of your references, even Wikipedia is more accurate. That gives a possible indication as to the genuineness of some of these barrels.

The Battle Honours for Warspite don't include Trafalgar or any battle 1793-1815, as shown in Manning &Walker, 'British Warship Names' and Thomas 'A Companion to the Royal Navy (he combines the histories of Warspites 3&4). The third Warspite had been on harbour duties since 1778, was renamed in 1800 and broken up in 1801. The fourth Warspite was built at Chatham; I would have thought it was a bit of a waste of time and money to ship teak there and build, when they could build in Bombay direct. The keel was laid 1805 (the year of Trafalgar) and she was launched in November 1807 after that she would need to be fitted out and commissioned. Colledge, 'Ships of the Royal Navy,' (Greenhill Books, London, 2003) as well as Lyon, mentioned above.

Done a bit of digging (makes a break from the course development work I'm slogging through).

1] The HMS Warspite that took part at Trafalgar had a teak hull

So there you are - it could have come from one or other Warspite or none you pays your groat and takes your choice.

There was no WARSPITE at Trafalgar.

Thomas mentioned that the first captain of Warspite was Sir Harry Blackwood, Captain of Euryalus at Trafalgar. This is confirmed by the 'Oxford Dictionary of National Biography,' a very tenuous link to the battle.

• 6 years later...

At various times I have seen souvenirs including copper from HMS Victory, teak from HMS Iron Duke, but I don't recall seeing others. Considering the number of ships that have gone to the breakers yard, I would have thought that such souvenirs would have been common place in respect of the entire battleship/battle cruiser fleets made between, say 1900 and 1945.

Have any of you seen or perhaps have in your collections other names? I would be interested to know the ships names and what form the souvenirs take, ie., match holder, cigar box etc.

thanks

khaki

Hi Khaki,

Well, here's a small one to start you off. The front of the base measures just over 2.5". Hope you get lots more.

Regards,

Michael.

post-53132-0-90677700-1400875064_thumb.j

Hi. Khaki,

My Grandfather acquired a mahogany and brass planter on a four legged stand, this around 1950 from the estate of a member of the Jellicoe family in Culceth, Lancashire, this we still have, is from the 'Iron Duke' Jutland 1916 and stands around 24" high x 18" dia. Whilst not a collector, have magpie tendancies and own a number of items picked up over the years for nominal sums, the commonest thing seems to be a match holder in the shape of a barrel, have these in smaller sizes from the 'Iron Duke' and the 'Warspite', also a much larger one from 'H.M.S. Ganges' possibly for cigarettes. Also a page turner from the 'Iron Duke' and a letter opener from 'H.M.S.Valiant', also Jutland 1916. Finally an inkwell/pen holder, also from 'H.M.S. Valiant.

Was in an antique shop a few years ago in Southampton, that dealt in such memorabilia, he had sales cataloques from the 1920's or 30's showing the very wide range of items manufactured using teak and brass from a whole range of Great War ships, also from ocean liners of the period.

Mike.

.Hello Mike, excellent that you have an Iron duke piece with a family pedigree of Jellicoe, glad to see that it is in use as well, I would appreciate a photo if you can manage it. Meantime this is my only piece a combination letter opener/knife/ruler relating to HMS Eden (turbine torpedo boat destroyer) Sorry macro always gives me a double image, the reverse handle has the advertising Suter, Hartman & Rahtjens Composition Company Ltd 18 Billiter Street London EC, the center symbol is an upraised right hand palm out. I have no idea what they supplied

khaki

post-29707-0-50230000-1400878910_thumb.j

post-29707-0-38843600-1400878975_thumb.j

Reading this thread reminded that tucked away in a cupboard I had one of the matchstick barrel type. I couldn't remember any of the details - and certainly don't remember where I got it from - but, nevertheless, managed to dig it out. The plate on it reads 'From the timber of HMS Worcester launched Portsmouth 1860'. My initial thoughts were that this would be too earlier a vessel to qualify for a Great War connection, but, although the piece probably only dates from 1953, Wikipedia - if correct - reveals that the vessel is likely to have been being put to some use then, even if only for training purposes Click . Although an undistinguished career, an interesting history particularly in its stop-start construction years where it seems to have successfully straddled the Navy's transition from sail to screw propulsion.

post-5512-0-87476000-1400914437_thumb.jp

NigelS

I used to have a similar barrel "from the teak of HMS Warspite" when I was young. Not sure if it still exists but I will have a good look. I'd forgotten all about it.

Justin H

I have this shell turned from what looks like a large shell fragment, to HMS Hyacinth, and the inscription, Lindi G.E.A. [German East Africa] 10.6.17

Gareth

post-890-0-35162400-1400919953_thumb.jpg

I have a mixture of ash trays, barrels, napkin rings, lidded box, letter opener & a ship's cannon to the following ships.

Mauretania.

Iron Duke.

Queen Elizabeth.

Terrible.

Spartiate.

Ganges.

Birmingham.

Snapdragon.

Valiant.

Warspite.

Restless.

Iroquois.

Ormonde.

Ajax.

Magpie.

A small barrel "From the Timber of a British Battleship".

Also have a shell fragment engraved HMS WARSPITE 1916, & a small brass plate stamped HMS LION; PORTION OF PLATE FROM FUNNEL PIERCED BY GERMAN SHELL IN THE GREAT SEA BATTLE OFF HORN'S REEF. MAY. 31. 1916.

Exciting range of collectibles of famous ships, just to add a bit of information to my post #5, Suter, Hartmann & Co supplied the navy with corrosion inhibiting paint.

khaki

post-55705-0-36456300-1401006156_thumb.j

regards

bob r

At various times I have seen souvenirs including copper from HMS Victory, teak from HMS Iron Duke, but I don't recall seeing others. Considering the number of ships that have gone to the breakers yard, I would have thought that such souvenirs would have been common place in respect of the entire battleship/battle cruiser fleets made between, say 1900 and 1945.

Have any of you seen or perhaps have in your collections other names? I would be interested to know the ships names and what form the souvenirs take, ie., match holder, cigar box etc.

thanks

khaki

Perhaps the largest Battleship souvenir are the parts from one of the "R" Class battleships used in the construction of the large Telescope Dish at Jodrell Bank in Cheshire

I love those tompions , I have the strangest feeling that many years ago I saw similar items for sale but failed to associate them with what they were used for, probably thought of them as being simply a ships badge made as a wall plaque. My loss.

khaki

Picked these up today. 10 quid the lot.

Usual HMS Queen Elizabeth 'Dardanelles'. 2x HMS Iron Duke 'Jutland'. HMS Valiant 'Jutland'. And the more unusual HMS Ganges.

post-11859-0-60665500-1401124775_thumb.j

post-11859-0-22784300-1401124788_thumb.j