Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The SUN newspaper VC graves campaign

Seadog

A shame it has come to this. Impossible for me to comment further without breaking the no politics rule.

I think that this is an excellent and worthwhile campaign as the winners of this nation’s highest award for bravery in the face of the enemy deserve to be properly commemorated as those who fell are by the CWGC. If the father of Lance Corporal James Ashworth VC is supporting the campaign then that is good enough for me.

Norman :thumbsup:

Very worthwhile but should it have to be left to a charity?

What other alternative is there and it’s hardly charity as the campaign is aimed at Government funding as I read it.

Norman

It has a registered charity number. I missed any mention of gov funding if there is one. Appeal for people to donate via text etc.

The aim should be to get the gov to fund the whole project.

I've just hidden an unacceptable political comment - please, no more

It's a sad thing that these graves have become neglected, and it's a worthy cause to have them renovated and brought back into the public eye, but the article does refer to that fact that the graves have become 'lost' as families forget their ancestors, or are unaware of their past, and I don't see this as a delberate attempt by anyone or any body to forget, it is just the passing of time. My sister died over 60 years ago at the age of 4. Could I tell you where her grave is? No, and neither could my Mum.

Are these graves not private property? If they are, and I'd assume they are, then I'd suspect it would be a criminal offence to interfere with them without the owners agreement.

A truly worthy cause in my opinion. I agree that it should be funded by the government (if not the royal family).

Leaving their resting places/memorials aside for a moment, it is a sad fact that more than one of these extraordinarily brave men, after being awarded the V.C. for their outstanding services to King and Country, as it was in those days, were forgotten by both once the war was over.

To let their graves fall into oblivion would, for me, be the final insult to them.

People do tend to rally around when things are pointed out. Working at the time near High Cross I noticed that Martin-Leake's grave in the churchyard there was in a bit of a state on a visit in c.1983. I contacted the RAMC, a couple of guys came down from RHQ and a year later the thing was rededicated and a plaque mounted in the Church. I think regiments do their best with limited resources. And, of course, it would be wonderful to get the graves suitably restored - and kept that way. Who should pay? I quite like the idea of a dedicated charity, to which the government could contribute - as, for example, it did for the Thiepval Centre.

Are these graves not private property? If they are, and I'd assume they are, then I'd suspect it would be a criminal offence to interfere with them without the owners agreement.

Phil the article states that permission has to be obtained from the family who own the plot; the same as the CWGC is doing right now when they want to either repair of install a formal headstone on graves in the UK. Because it will I guess be almost impossible to trace many of the plot owners perhaps in those cases a plaque could be affixed in a prominent location within the cemetery or burial ground. The article also states that twelve VC graves have received attention and rededication so far by the Victoria Cross Trust.

The Victoria Cross Trust

http://victoriacrosstrust.org/

Norman

I think that the Sun is referring to private graves. The CWG has no responsibility for these graves whatever we may think. Just as a matter of interest, the private grave of William Beesley VC, 13th Bn Rifle Brigade, is well maintained in St Paul's cemetery, Coventry.

TR

Why only in the UK? There are some outside the UK. Are their graves deemed unworthy of upkeep?

Two more articles in the newspaper

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/campaigns/our_boys/5584534/victoria-cross-winners-descendants-praise-sun-campaign.html

And

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/campaigns/our_boys/5582194/Back-Sun-campaign-to-find-VC-heroes.html

Norman

Added: The second article includes details of those VC graves for which the VC Trust would appreciate photos.

One of the graves listed as being in the UK and which is in excellent order having been renovated by the efforts of a local individual. The grave is at Redland Parish Church Bristol.

13982316316_c16b78fbfa_z.jpg

13982316326_1c9d7715ce_z.jpg

Norman

These are the first ten graves up for renovation/maintenance following the campaign in the Sun

Colour Sergeant Anthony Booth – Brierley Hill, W Midlands

General Sir John Watson – Finchampstead, Berks

Lt Colonel Alfred Jones – Finchampstead, Berks

Private Henry Addison – Bardwell, Suffolk

Admiral Sir Arthur Wilson – Swaffham, Norfolk

Private Frederick Corbett, born David Embleton – Maldon, Essex

Sergeant James Firth – Burngreave Cemetery, Sheffield

Vice Admiral Sir William Hewett – Portsmouth

Rear Admiral Charles Lucas – Mereworth, Kent

Major General Sir Henry Tombs – Isle if Wight

Norman

People do tend to rally around when things are pointed out. Working at the time near High Cross I noticed that Martin-Leake's grave in the churchyard there was in a bit of a state on a visit in c.1983. I contacted the RAMC, a couple of guys came down from RHQ and a year later the thing was rededicated and a plaque mounted in the Church. I think regiments do their best with limited resources. And, of course, it would be wonderful to get the graves suitably restored - and kept that way. Who should pay? I quite like the idea of a dedicated charity, to which the government could contribute - as, for example, it did for the Thiepval Centre.

Didn't the Coldstream Guards do the same when Ian Hislop informed them of the state of one of their VC holder's graves on 'Not Forgotten'? I agree, about regiments doing what they can, the idea of a dedicated charity and good to see the government are contributing

These are the first ten graves up for renovation/maintenance following the campaign in the Sun

Colour Sergeant Anthony Booth – Brierley Hill, W Midlands

General Sir John Watson – Finchampstead, Berks

Lt Colonel Alfred Jones – Finchampstead, Berks

Private Henry Addison – Bardwell, Suffolk

Admiral Sir Arthur Wilson – Swaffham, Norfolk

Private Frederick Corbett, born David Embleton – Maldon, Essex

Sergeant James Firth – Burngreave Cemetery, Sheffield

Vice Admiral Sir William Hewett – Portsmouth

Rear Admiral Charles Lucas – Mereworth, Kent

Major General Sir Henry Tombs – Isle if Wight

Norman

Private Corbett is not a Great War VC and the stone is relatively recent and cared for.

SPN

Maldon

I did not mention that he was a WW1 VC and neither does the newspaper article the list is from, as I state this is one of the sites for renovation or maintenance. I suggest that if you wish you should take this up with the VC Trust if you have any concerns. There is a photo of the site in the newspaper though how old this is I course do not know but on the image published it does not look in that good a condition.

Norman

I did not mention that he was a WW1 VC and neither does the newspaper article the list is from, as I state this is one of the sites for renovation or maintenance. I suggest that if you wish you should take this up with the VC Trust if you have any concerns. There is a photo of the site in the newspaper though how old this is I course do not know but on the image published it does not look in that good a condition.

Norman

Only mentioned it because this is a Great War forum.

I have been working with the Sun reporter on this project but thanks for your advice.

SPN

Maldon

9 out of ten makes it a majority!

I think the campaign is for VC headstones so the earlier ones probably need more restoration.

P23 you will understand that this thread is about the maintenance of VC winners graves which of course wiill include those from the Great War plus of course those from other conflicts. I take it that because you have been working with the newspaper you will also be fully aware of the inclusion of this site plus the photograph published in said newspaper.

Norman