Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The SUN newspaper VC graves campaign

Seadog

9 out of ten makes it a majority!

I think the campaign is for VC headstones so the earlier ones probably need more restoration.

Sorry - don't understand this. What the Sun have actually reproduced in relation to the Maldon grave is the direction stone and not the headstone. As Deputy Mayor I lay a wreath there every year so I think I know what it looks like and the story in this case. I worked with the Sun reporter on the background to this last weekend.

SPN

Maldon

P23 you will understand that this thread is about the maintenance of VC winners graves which of course wiill include those from the Great War plus of course those from other conflicts. I take it that because you have been working with the newspaper you will also be fully aware of the inclusion of this site plus the photograph published in said newspaper.

Norman

See my other reply.

SPN

Maldon

This might be of interest re. the Maldon VC grave.

Regards.

SPN
Maldon

post-43629-0-60378000-1398446995_thumb.j

So for readers of this thread and the Sun, here are the Maldon VC pictures. The direction stone which, apart from bird muck and reflection, is fine. And then the grave itself which is also fine - but then it would be because it has only been there 10 years and is maintained.

SPN
Maldon

post-43629-0-24707100-1398528539_thumb.j

The grave

post-43629-0-24598400-1398528750_thumb.j

You will be aware that the first image (not the headstone) is the one in the newspaper and is included in the ten locations as the "First 10 up for renovation" all of which are illustrated. No doubt you will be able to take up any possible errors with the article directly with the newspaper and I presume the VCT.

Norman

A Master Stonemason started work yesterday on the grave of WW1 hero Bombardier Charles Stone V.C. in Belper Derbyshire.

The Communities Secretary has pledged £100,000 to fund similar work

Every little helps

Tony

You will be aware that the first image (not the headstone) is the one in the newspaper and is included in the ten locations as the "First 10 up for renovation" all of which are illustrated. No doubt you will be able to take up any possible errors with the article directly with the newspaper and I presume the VCT.

Norman

Apart from a wash down, neither the direction stone or the head stone in Maldon need anything doing to them.

SPN

Maldon

What has tended to suprise me over the years with Private Family Monuments (Not CWGC) is that many of these are so low key.

It has already been pointed out that to do anything with the grave whatsoever requires the consent of the family/plot owner.

Another issue is with the actual owners of the Graveyard/cemetery and what has been the duration of the "lease" on the Plot.

Most municipal cemeteries specify about 100 years and then the Grave technically reverts back to them - clearly though they normally use common sense and discretion when dealling with this - in the main.

Churchyards are a very different situation again, with very different rules, covenants etc being in place,

Lets hope that something very positive can be done with this campaign!.

Here is an example of a grave that I know very well - hence the low key element!.

VCJohnThomasDaviesGrave.jpg

Torquay VC graves to be restored

Article

http://www.torquayheraldexpress.co.uk/Torquay-graves-VC-heroes-restored/story-21020447-detail/story.html

Graves due to be put back to their former glory in South Devon are those of T/2Lt Arthur Fleming-Sandes of The East Surrey Regiment, born Tulse Hill, London, Pte James Hutchinson of The Lancashire Fusiliers, born Radcliffe, Lancashire and 2Lt Edgar Myles, of The Welsh Regiment, born Wanstead, Essex who are all buried at Torquay Crematorium. The grave of Derby born T/Lt Col Charles Hudson of The Sherwood Foresters at St Mary’s, Denbury, is also due to be restored.

Norman

You are right that is really "low key" indeed, this brave man earned his VC in 1918

Details

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Thomas_Davies

Perhaps you would like to send a copy of the image to the VC Trust who are appealing for same.

Norman

And as if by magic..... :thumbsup:

http://www.sthelensstar.co.uk/news/11170987.St_Helens_Victoria_Cross_winner_will_have_grave_restored/

Does anybody know if the list of photo requirements is an up to date list, or just an overall list.

many thanks

rob

Hi Norman

I understand the submission page, I've looked at my local page and it hasn't changed. so does that mean no one has taken any pictures, or the list doesn't change.

My reasons for asking is there is a VC winners grave in Denbury, which is about 15 miles away from me, i would happily go and get this photo if its still required, , but if it's

already been sent in, i would view that as a wasted journey.. That was the reason for my first question.

all the best

rob

This family seem to have concerns that the Government is to unilaterally restore their VC grave which of course is completely incorrect as any work whatsoever on any such grave will require the full agreement of the family and I am surprised that the newspaper did not check this aspect before printing this misleading article.

http://www.bridportnews.co.uk/news/11185869._Leave_our_grandfather_s_grave_alone____urgent_plea_from_family_of_war_hero/?ref=var_0

Norman

Seadog - my mother's cousin Edgar Kinghorn Myles was born in East Ham, Essex, at 147 Milton Avenue. The family stayed there until they moved to Wanstead sometime between 1911 and the outbreak of the Great War, and later to Loughton, Essex where I as a child often visited them. Several bodies erroneously give his birthplace as being in Wanstead, and I am anxious that his V.C. Memorial Stone should be placed in the correct location, which is now Newham.

I am no authority on such situations so what follows is just my own thoughts on the facts that you have detailed. I understand that this gentleman was cremated at Torquay Crematorium and that you obviously have the evidence to prove his actual birthplace. Although you mention a memorial stone, is there actually such a stone already in Wanstead?. I ask this as there must be many examples of the place of burial/cremation being different from the birthplace of the individual. This is such a case in Bristol where Lt Col Burges VC was cremated in the city although he was born in London and a memorial plaque has been raised with the approval of his family at the place of his cremation. It follows that perhaps if it does not exist such a plaque could be affixed at Torquay which seems an appropriate course of action to me. If on the other hand he is commemorated in some way in Wanstead then that is a different matter altogether. Finally I would have thought that given the evidence which you have it will be possible to obtain amendments to his birthplace where applicable.

post-21884-0-13985100-1399705603_thumb.j

Lt Col Burges

Born Central London

Plaque in Bristol Arnos Vale

Regards

Norman