Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

BBC "I was there: the Great War interviews"

Chris_Baker

Three points of which viewers will probably be unaware:

Production of the programme required some extraordinary work, particularly by producer Detlef Siebert. The original interviews had been taken on 16mm film: I understand that was the only technology that had a decent length of film so that more than a few minutes could be filmed without a break. Even so, each full interview was over several reels. Parts were then cut for transfer to 35mm for the TV series. The interview sound tape was on a different technology. Detlef had to marry up sound and vision, from all these various reels and without a full set of written transcripts being available. Out of that had to emerge a programme and for the 16mm/35mm films to be digitally remastered and so on. Quite a feat of creativity as well as detective work and patience.

Just for the film geeks out there, it is even more complex and probelmatic than that, Chris (although you've done a very good job explaining some of the technical difficulties).

The IWM has the original 16mm camera rolls (negatives), plus matching, but separate 16mm magnetic tracks of the filmed interviews. Where parts of the interview were selected for inclusion in a programme, these sections have been cut out of the negative and track, the reel then typically being rejoined temporarily using metal clips! However, there are quite a number of reels of negative with no track, and conversely reels of track with no negative. Some of the cellulose acetate magnetic tracks are in a state of acetic decomposition.

The sound interviews were recorded on 1/4inch tape...

You don’t look, you see

You don’t hear, you listen

Richard Tobin

A classic programme and my thanks go to those interviewers who listened to these memories and the traumatic experiences that the interviewees so readily recounted and which I have no doubt must have been a painful experience for so many of them.

Norman

Richard Tobin was such a fine speaker. His descriptions of events in the original BBC series are powerful and eloquent.

Great to see our advanced sound and vision technology used in such a valuable cause - to preserve and make available these wonderful interviews in perpetuity - one hopes.

It was not so. Judging from the correspondence, the process of whittling down from hundreds of applications seems to have been to determine whether the man had something genuinely interesting to say, and (first by phone) whether he could say it lucidly. Medals and other factors did not come into it.

Chris

I could not see how it would be otherwise, but nice to have it confirmed by the oracle! Shame about the lack of sailors all the same

David

I have only just got round to watching this programme and I thought that it was absolutely wonderful! TV at its very best. The recollections of the old soldiers (but at that time of course not quite so old) were impressive and interesting, but I found myself drawn to the Mancunian lady and her serving husband. It'd be great to see a DVD version which includes extra interview footage along the lines of what is on the BBC website now. I love listening to Cecil Lewis!

Have been trying to watch this all week and got a server error. Turns out it's because this has been one of iplayers most requested downloads.

Saw it last night. Wow! Why is there only one programme? We could have watched this for hours and hours.

We also were fascinated by the Lancashire lady, so immediately followed by viewing the full Kitty Morter interview because we were desperate to know what happened! What a great lady. She married 3 times, had 4 children and lived to the ripe old age of 99.

I will definitely be watching all the other 11 currently online.

Message to Chris Baker and the producer: please make more of these programmes. Please!

Regards

Ian

Message to Chris Baker and the producer: please make more of these programmes. Please !

I think we should start a petition.

The t.v. has been so boring this last week or so. Are they ever going to show any WW1 related programmes again? :(

Message to Chris Baker and the producer: please make more of these programmes. Please !

I think we should start a petition.

The t.v. has been so boring this last week or so. Are they ever going to show any WW1 related programmes again? :(

If you're starting one please put my name down, and I agree the television has been a bit boring of late. Waiting in anticipation of the next WW1 related programme. In support of Chris, 'never forget' (sorry for that) he must have put a tremendous amount of work and time into the research, which is thoroughly appreciated so, no pressure Chris - just food for thought?

Anne

I had a chance to see this and congratulations are in order to all of the team that put it together. It is great to hear about some of the process from Chris Baker here ( I noticed him in the credits).

The interviews were restored beautifully and I thought the photographic interludes were well done. The quiet solemn ending was just right, I thought. It would be wonderful if the DVD had expanded interviews, but this program certainly stands on its own. It was a perfect distillation of the series to me as I thought the interviews were the most striking part of the series. ( The maps in the series always reminded me of the ancient filmstrips we saw in grammar school).

My role in the production was very modest and, much though I like the idea, I very much doubt that more will be made. Enjoy what is there, and don't forget to watch the complete interviews at iPlayer.

• 2 years later...

Just watched Henry Williamson on BBC iPlayer - Wonderful.

This is the link for Henry Williamson:

The Great War Interviews, 3. Henry Williamson: www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p01tcyg5 via @bbciplayer

The one frustrating thing with GWF is that most of the programmes etc mentioned here are only available in the UK. They should at least be available to Commonwealth countries. Harumph!!

The one frustrating thing with GWF is that most of the programmes etc mentioned here are only available in the UK. They should at least be available to Commonwealth countries. Harumph!!

Sean - there is software available that allows you to 'pretend' that you're in the UK. I spend half the year outside the UK and use an application called Identity Cloaker when I want to watch programmes on the BBC. I also used it to 'pretend' I was in Australia in order to watch one of their WW1 documentaries.I forget what the cost was but I'm sure there will be other software, maybe even freeware, that'll do the same thing.

• 8 months later...
On 2/17/2017 at 18:17, smawson44 said:

I live in the USA and was wondering if anyone has any tips how to purchase or watch this program?

Simon

Some of the Great War Interviews are-inevitably- on You Tube. The old BBC documentary "Game of Ghosts" is there-which I still think is the best of the lot.

On 17/02/2017 at 18:17, smawson44 said:

I live in the USA and was wondering if anyone has any tips how to purchase or watch this program?

Simon

It was released on DVD.

If you have a multi region player and £40 (plus postage) it's available on UK Amazon just now - https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/DVD-Blu-ray/I-Was-There-Great-Interviews-Detlef-Siebert/B00OTLU5QU

On 2/17/2017 at 18:17, smawson44 said:

Simon

In addition to the DVD release that Derek Black has mentioned, the series was also included in a DVD box set called "World War One - The Centenary Collection."

https://www.amazon.co.uk/World-War-One-Centenary-Collection/dp/B00MXYUFG0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1487496778&sr=8-1&keywords=first+world+war+centenary+bbc