Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

BBC "I was there: the Great War interviews"

Chris_Baker

Chris is the programme based on the selection on I-Player, or does it cover other interviews?

Keith

The ones on iPlayer are just a small selection. Several other individuals (guess - about the same number again) appear in the programme.

I watched the rest of the interviews last night , I don't know about showing 'Blackadder' in schools but I am sure they should show those interviews to those learning about WW1.

I am really looking forward to Friday and seeing some of the other contributors, what an amazing generation they were.

Excellent indeed! Thank you for the link. Can't wait to listen in.

Jonathan

Well, I will have to wait. Silly me thought I had access at first but iPlayer is not available outside the UK.

Shame really as I'm sure the complete interviews would be amazing. The snippets shown on the original programme were certainly fascinating.

Jonathan

the clips on the iplayer are wonderful to watch, i'd have loved to have chatted to some WW1 vets.

I'm about half way through them and savouring every single one.

Thanks Chris for your reply - I won't miss the programme either.

Keith

iPlayer is not available outside the UK.

Jonathan

It is possible to watch iPlayer in Oz. There appear to be a few methods on this google page. Have no idea how easy or difficult, but got to worth trying, as you really are missing out. Amazing to be able to listen to, and watch, a German veteran. describe the act of killing a French soldier in hand-to-hand combat. .....and much more Click

Mike

It is possible to watch iPlayer in Oz. There appear to be a few methods on this google page. Have no idea how easy or difficult, but got to worth trying, as you really are missing out. Amazing to be able to listen to, and watch, a German veteran. describe the act of killing a French soldier in hand-to-hand combat. .....and much more Click

Mike

Thanks Mike,

I will look into the options. Isn't the Internet amazing!

Jonathan

On a side note, this is my 500th post. Not as many as plenty of others but I was half hoping to make it a significant one - silly ego. Oh well.

I watched the Lewis' interviews last night at bed time . Such an amiable and engaging man. He lived until 99 , I think.

It's great to see these men and women telling their stories while still hale and hearty in their 60s and 70s.

What a precious archive.

Bump. BB2, 9pm tonight.

Chris

This has got to be the most unnecessary of bumps - virtually everybody I know on and off the forum is basically counting the hours till this is on!

I have been watching the iPlayer interviews and they are absolutely riveting.

David

Sometimes you need a bump - I suspect that most regulars use VNC but some of us pensioners can be a tad forgetful you know

Keith

I agree with David on this one - the most unnecessary of bumbs - and, like him, can't wait to the countdown. In saying this, there might be some unfortunate soul out there who, for whatever reason, would be grateful for the reminder and kicking themselves if they had missed it. Now, why would Keith know I am not only a pensioner but also forgetful I wonder?

Anne

Am looking forward to it. Remind me just before 9 will you?

Mike

You'll need to set your alarm Mike - I'll be pouring the wine!

Anne

Exactly Anneca

Pensioners and wine, what chance has memory, who am I anyway?

K????h

You don’t look, you see

You don’t hear, you listen

Richard Tobin

A classic programme and my thanks go to those interviewers who listened to these memories and the traumatic experiences that the interviewees so readily recounted and which I have no doubt must have been a painful experience for so many of them.

Norman

That programme was absolutely magnificent. That is all.

Roger

That was the best programme I've seen so far in this series of Great War events. Excellent.

Out of the country last week. So: I've taped the Friday programme, have I missed an earlier one?

Bernard

Marvelous & deeply moving. Can we have the other 50 hours now.

...first "Hidden Histories" last night and now "I Was There"...without doubt the best two hours of WWI related programing I've seen so far this year. The production values, narration, interview selections and structure to the whole program were absolutely superb.

Everyone involved in this production did a fantastic job.

All the best

Paul.

Well done all concerned. You could feel their pain. Excellent.

I never knew there was a Russian/Austrian Easter truce, or that you could refuse to take part in a firing squad?

Mike