Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

BBC "I was there: the Great War interviews"

Chris_Baker

I have been privileged to carry out research work for a forthcoming BBC TV production now titled "I was there: the Great War interviews." Today I was also privileged to see a preview screening.

All I can say is - wow - make sure you see this. It is stunning. The BBC team has done a truly fantastic job. Perhaps after the showing I'll explain some of the technical intricacies of what they had to do.

Friday 14 March, BBC2. 9pm. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03y76xl

The programme draws upon the interviews with veterans of the Great War that were filmed and recorded for the making of the 1964 "Great War" series. Much of the footage was not used in the series itself, and some 85% of the new programme is of stuff that has not been seen before.

My small part in it was to make sure that the individuals filmed are properly named and their regiments given. It was also to validate certain points and statements made, just to ensure they were credible. They were.

I also understand that a number of the complete interviews will be made available to see and hear after the programme has screened: at the IWM website, I think, but don't quote me on that.

The full "Great War" series of 26 episodes will also be shown later in the year.

Highlight for me today was finally meeting Julia Cave, who conducted the interviews back in 1964.

Yes, this looks like the 'must-see' of the present crop of GW programmes.

I am sitting in front of tv NOW Chris, wife will have to bring me food and a bucket

well done to all who were involved

Biff :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Never mind the 85% i've still never seen the 15%.

Looking forward to it.

Thanks for sharing this with us Chris. I think you`ve got us all on the very edge of our seats :thumbsup:

Hope it makes its way to Oz.

Jonathan

According to the Telegraph 55 hours of interviews survive, but only a small fraction will be shown in the one programme. Seems a bit of a shame.

The 55 hours (if that is what it is) of interview material is all in the sound archive at the Imperial War Museum. As I said above, several of the interviews are going to be made available in full via the internet (IWM website I think).

I'm really looking forward to this. I have given most of the TV hype a miss, but this really does appear to be special.

Keith

As the saying goes - "You get all the best jobs, you do!!"

Thanks again for this Chris. I know we've talked about it on other threads but it really does seem to be the one to watch in what is a very rich vein at the moment.

The Times previewed it today and was fulsome in its praise.

With '37 Days' just finishing and 'Wipers Times' out on DVD my cup runneth over (if only I had time to sit down and watch it all!)

David

Excellent indeed! Thank you for the link. Can't wait to listen in.

Jonathan

Williamson, Lewis, Carrington & Norman Macmillan. I never thought to hear these great writers speak. Hope they put these out on a cd for posterity.

Look forward to seeing this, after reading The Telegraph's article concerning these interviews the other day. Thanks for the heads up re. this programme Chris.

Andy