Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unearthed in Northern France

Andrew P

Thanks for getting the photos up, Aurel! They are great to see, you were very lucky to be there. I am glad to see that they had some wattle on their coffins... <sniff> :rolleyes:

Cheers!

Auzzzie :ph34r:

Aurel and jacky,

Great photos!

Especially the one with the slouch hats and flags was strangely moving.

Keep up the good work.

All the best,

Fred

Aurel / Jacky

Excellent Photos

Thanks

Glyn

Thankyou for sharing these with us, people. Wonderful photos especially the last one. It looks as though it was a moving ceromony, that's what the photos convey to me, anyway.

Lest We Forget.

Kim

Thanks,

Aurel and Jacky.

Very moving and excellent TV coverage on the ABC 7:00 pm news tonight

Peter

Yes, I saw the news reports on both nine news and ABC news, they were very good.

Thanks for the photos, Jacky!

Auzzzie :ph34r:

Many thanks guys.

Rgds

Tim D

Just back from the weekend and the ceremony.

Nice to see that Jacky and Aurel have posted some great photos.

Quite agree that the hats and flags on the hedge was a key-note photo and hopefully have a very good quality shot of this particular image.

I must say that the Aussies did a good job on this one. As you imagine they were sweating on dropping a casket or similar but they were really solid. All the honour guard were Majors, I was told and the badges on the hats were authentic Great War. A really nice touch. The officer's sword was loaned by a serving British officer of the Sherwood Foresters.

The weather was heavenly. I think most of the Aussie soldiers came from Southern France where they are working on a new French built helicopter for the Army - I bet these heli's will smell of garlic !

A great privilege to be there.

We Will Remember Them

Thanks heaps Aurel, Jacky and Ian. It was great you could all be there at the ceremony.

From the images I've seen it looked very moving.

Regards

Andrew

Andrew,

We should all thank Australia for organizing it.

It was great when the General got out of his car and was greeted by the local mayor. He replied "Merci Bien" in such an accent that the "Mate" on the end of his reply was plain to hear !

I will see how good my photo of the hats and flags comes out and may be able to send a copy to you.

Regards Ian

Great photos everyone.

I notice from Andrew's original post that these men were found 2 years ago - is this the normal timescale from finding the bodies to burial in such cases?

Neil

Thanks to Ian, Martin and I were priveleged to attend this event. Here are some photos:

post-77-1114438808.jpg

a little later:

post-77-1114439570.jpg

Aurel, Jacky and Kate

Thank you for posting the photographs. It's good to see the sky so blue. Lt Champion's younger brother 2/Lt Geoffrey Servante Champion was killed 25th July 1916 and is buried at Pozieres British Cemetery. Now both brothers have known graves.

Their father Arthur was born at Benares and studied at Trinity College, Cambridge.

Myrtle

Glad to hear that Martin & Kate also attended & thanks for the extra photos.

Ian

If your photos turn out I will be glad to see them.

Cheers

Andrew

Wonderful photos. Thanks to all those who attended and payed their respects. There must be something about the photo of the slouch hats and flags because I also find it very poignant.

Tim L.

Yes, the hats and flags image was absolutely striking and a number of people took this picture inc. the pro's who were there.

I did try to get another. There was a young Australian boy of 13 or so wearing a jacket with the word Australia emblazoned proudly on the back. I wanted a rear view of him inspecting Australian headstones but he suddenly disappeared or perhaps took the jacket off because it was so warm ! Result - no picture

Reading through this thread I have been intrigued and saddened by the fact that none of Lt Champion's relatives had been found to attend the service. I have discovered that he had at least three aunts and four uncles, therefore I would expect that there are some of his cousins' descendants in the world somewhere.

Interestingly, Lt Champion not only had a brother fighting in the AIF but also an uncle in the 39th Battalion. His uncle Frederick Carey Lane Champion was a private of 41 years old, a grazier from Jandowae (although spelt Jandowail on his details), the same place as his nephew. He was more than 15 years younger than his eldest brother Arthur who was Christopher's father. Frederick survived and returned to Australia on 22/09/1919.

Myrtle