Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unearthed in Northern France

Andrew P

Many thanks for making the effort Bob...a bit far for some of us to go.

Don't know where the Jandowae reference came from Andrew.  He is listed as enlisting in Jandowae on the Roll of Honour and residing there in the official history however his enlistment papers say Liverpool.  Perhaps he went to back to Sydney to enlist? 

Rgds

Tim

Hi Tim

Yeah, I'm not sure about the Jandowae reference.

In my research on Fremantle soldiers I've had a few queries regarding the enlistment section that's listed on the AWM Honour Roll. A few have had their enlistment shown as being in Victoria, when I know for certain through other documents that they enlisted in WA.

Very curious.

Cheers

Andrew

Andrew

Some of my Vic soldiers have been working in WA on enlistment - but because their parents have filled out No. 3 on the Certificate (town chiefly connected to) with their home town in Vic they - have been recorded as having enlisted from there. A simple case of incorrect assumption I'd say!

Cheers, Frev.

I am firming up plans to make it to the ceremony and hope that other Pals in the Ypres area may be able to attend this very important occasion.

It would be great if there could be a good Forum turn out for this.

Thanks Frev, that is likely be the reason for some of them as a few of the Fremantle soldiers were born in Victoria. :D

But unfortunately there are still a few who were born in Freo, they worked in Freo, their parents resided here and yet they are listed as enlisting on the east coast.

Ian

It would be great if you and other PAL's were able to attend the ceremony as I would love to be able to get there but unfortunately work & distance make it impossible.

Regards

Andrew

Andrew,

Yes, I appreciate that you guys would love to be able to attend and this prompts me to go along to kind of represent Australian Pals (I hope that's not being too presumptious) and help ensure a decent turn out . If you wanted to have flowers placed there by proxy so to speak, I am sure that something might be arranged.

With a Great-Uncle who was in the 11th Light Horse , I claim a tenuous Aussie connection and will wear a memento of him.

We will also raise a glass to them in Ypres in the evening - where I presume their names will currently be listed on the Menin Gate ?

Regards Ian

Thanks Ian. It's not being presumptious. It's great that you can be there.

I think that these soldiers were listed on the Villers Brettoneux Memorial.

Cheers

Andrew

It is great that they will given a good burial alongside their mates - and long overdue. I really do wish that I could be there for such an occasion. Ian, would you mind taking a few photos of it if you do get there? I would love to see how it goes.

Cheers! :ph34r:

• 3 weeks later...

A newspaper article from yesterday

Four WWI diggers to be laid to rest

April 19, 2005 - 2:59PM

Four Australian soldiers from World War I are to be laid to rest in France this week, 87 years after they were killed in action and their bodies hurriedly buried on a Western Front battlefield.

A French farmer found the skeletal remains of the four unknown soldiers near Merris in March last year. Only two have been identified.

They would be laid to rest again at Outtersteene Communal Cemetery Extension, near Merris, on Friday, army chief Lieutenant General Peter Leahy said.

General Leahy will attend the funeral service.

"These soldiers died in service to their nation and it is fitting that we gather to remember them and formally pay tribute to their bravery and sacrifice," he said in a statement.

"The Australian Defence Force is built on the dedication, courage and actions of those that have gone before us. It is important that we remember their deeds and honour their memory."

General Leahy said two of the soldiers were believed to be Lieutenant Christopher Henry Duncan Champion and Corporal Ernest Corby.

He said the other two had not been identified and they would be laid to rest as unknown Australian soldiers.

"The Australian Army is grateful to the French authorities who will assist us in according these soldiers an appropriate final tribute," he said.

"The locals have also been very helpful and their compassion and respect for our fallen soldiers brings great credit to their country."

Artefacts found with the remains included Australian pennies, Rising Sun collar badges and a corroded officer's pip with a fragment of uniform with the clips for attaching the pip in place.

After historical research and forensic investigation in France and Australia, two of the four soldiers were identified.

Corporal Corby's family had been notified of arrangements and at least two family members will attend.

No next of kin have been identified for Lieutenant Champion.

Both Lieutenant Champion and Corporal Corby were members of the 3rd Battalion, Australian Imperial Forces, and both were killed in fighting within hours of each other on April 14, 1918.

Lieutenant Champion was born in September 1892 at Launceston, Tasmania, attended The King's School, Parramatta, NSW, and worked as a farmer at Bungendore, NSW. He enlisted in July 1915 and was promoted to lieutenant in 1916 serving in the battle of Pozieres where he was wounded.

Corporal Corby was born in September 1885 at Laggan, NSW. A shearer by trade, he enlisted in January 1916 and was subsequently promoted to lance corporal and then corporal.

At least 3 Pals are now planning to be at the burial cemetery - transport willing !

Having never attended a burial on the Western Front, I am keenly anticipating it.

As things stand at the moment , we anticipate decent weather for Friday in Belgium

but its very changeable.

We will remember them.

Tim & Anyone else interested in photos - This will be a last outing for my old Canon 35mm camera. New Digital SLR planned.

I hope to get some good pictures and would be happy to send some copies to you guys down under. I would suggest that I select the best half dozen or so as a package. I will also get them put onto a CD at developing stage so may be able to send them by email. Will try my best. Other people I am going with will no doubt have cameras too.

Regards Ian

Andrew,

Jacky (Platteeuw) and I plan to be there.

You wrote : 11 a.m.

Should you learn that this has changed (before or after 11 a.m.), could you inform us ?

Aurel

With Jacky and Aurel there, I think we can guarantee some good digital photos and pretty rapid sharing of them.

It will be a great privilege to attend and will make the trip to Ypres worthwhile in itself.

To Aurel,

The internet version of the local French newspaper ' La Voix du Nord ' says : 10.30 hrs.

Gilbert Deraedt :angry:

This morning at 10.30 the reburial ceremony took place at Outtersteene Communal Cemetery, under a splendid blue sky, of the 4 Australian diggers (Lieutenant C. Champion, Corporal Corby and 2 unidentified).

A few photos. (I obviously had not chosen the best possible position (a large crowd, among them 7 other Pals), and not having an optical zoom.)

Aurel

Photo 1

post-92-1114170210.jpg

And photo 6

The great nephew of Corporal Corby (believed to be) standing near the headstone.

Aurel

post-92-1114170648.jpg