Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unearthed in Northern France

Andrew P

Last week I heard for the first time that the remains of 4 Australians were unearthed in Northern France near Merris.

Because Australian identity discs did not last as long as British discs I had thought that these soldiers would not be identified. So I was surprised to open The Australian paper this morning to see that the remains are thought to belong to the following men of the 3rd Battalion AIF.

Lt Henry Champion

Cpl Ernest Corby

Pte John Rohan

Pte Frederick Dobbin

These men were killed on April 14 1918 during a German counter-attack.

Apparently some items found with the bodies were rising sun badges, an officers pip, a badge from a Masonic Lodge from Liverpool NSW.

It would be good to think that these men could be positively identified and that all four could have a 'known' burial rather than stay on the list of Missing.

Regards

Andrew

I had heard of this a couple of weeks ago - I believe they were found not far from the Nieppe Forest, which fits in with the April 1918 date of death. I suspect they will be buried in an appropriate cemetery close by.

Paul and Andrew,

could you send me more detailed information, since I have a personal interest in subject: my Granddad was KIA in front of Foret de Nieppe on May 1st, 1918, having fought from Strazeele/Merris to inbetween Merville and the Nieppe forest. Timeframe matches. I also have detailed maps of concerned area. Appreciate any info!!!!

Granddad started April 14th in Estaires, attacked to positions on line Strazeele-Merris April 19th, and moved into final positions in front of Foret de Nieppe April 22nd

Paul and Andrew,

could you send me more detailed information, since I have a personal interest in subject: my Granddad was KIA in front of Foret de Nieppe on May 1st, 1918, having fought from Strazeele/Merris to inbetween Merville and the Nieppe forest. Timeframe matches. I also have detailed maps of concerned area. Appreciate any info!!!!

Granddad started April 14th in Estaires, attacked to positions on line Strazeele-Merris April 19th, and moved into final positions in front of Foret de Nieppe April 22nd

Hi Egbert

I'll have a look through my unit histories of the 1st Australian Division and see what they have listed for the 1st of May 1918.

Some of these histories go into great detail while others just briefly mention the battles they were involved in.

What German regiment was your grandfather in?

Cheers

Andrew

Andrew,

its Infanterieregiment IR 49! Actually my research came to the conclusion that most probably the direct opponent of IR 49 , May 1st, was I.Bn DCLI (95th Brig) with 2 additional subordinates: Sutherland Highlanders and (Argyll Co was reserve force). But you never know.....maybe baby. Again, I have detailed maps, which can be taken as reference. Of special interest are clues to the adjacent artillery units. Thanx

Also could anybody send me a scan of the newspaper-story of relevant unearthed 4 Aussis?

The Unit histories I looked into didn't have much information about May 1st although the 8th Battalion AIF had a patrol out which encountered some Germans.

I'll have a look at Bean's official histories as he normally mentions what German units were opposite the Australians.

Cheers

Andrew

p.s - I think if you go to http//www.news.com.au

and type in France in the search option it should bring up the article, though you may have to join the newsgroup to have a look at it in their archive.

Andrew,

thanx for webaddress. Unfortunately you have to buy a paid subscription to use the archive. Since Alabamians usually don't want down under news on a regular basis, maybe you are a subscriber and could copy and email the article?? :huh:

Sorry Egbert, I'm not a subscriber either.

I'll see if I can get the article scanned and sent on to you.

Cheers

Andrew

• 3 months later...
Guest Simon Bull

This is an old thread I am reviving in order to see if anyone has any news re when and where these men have been/will be buried.

Simon Bull

Hi Simon

I haven't heard a thing about this matter since the original article appeared. Maybe someone closer to the CWGC might be able to provide an answer in regards to their burial.

Regards

Andrew

• 1 year later...

As I hope to be in France in April it would be great to know where & when they're to be buried.

Thanks to Yves Fohlen I received the following information regarding the burial.

"On 22 april 2005 will be buried at outtersteene communal cemetery N°2 extension Bailleul.. the bodies of Lieut Champion and corporal Corby 3rd Bn. KIA 14th april 1918. 2 others unindentified bodies will be also buried. According my last infos.. funreal ceremony will be at 11 am.

The Chief of Army, Lieutenant General Peter Leahy, AO will attend the funeral service, which will be conducted by Principal Chaplain Greg Flynn, RC. It is expected that the funeral will be attended by Australian and French dignitaries and local officials. Corporal Corby’s family has been notified of arrangements and at least two family members will attend. No next of kin have been identified for Lieutenant Champion."

From the 3rd Battalion History.....at Strazeele on 14th April 1918:

'At 10.30am taking full advantage of a lull in the fighting, Lieut C.H.D.Champion. commanding B Company, ordered Liet C.G.Prescott and his platoon of 20 men to attack Gutzer far, about 100 yards out in front. A sinper posted in this farmhouse picked of Sergeant Jack Mott, Frank Guest, and Ernie Corby but subsequently was himself killed by one of our snipers'.

'The last effort of the enemy to pierce our line was made at 7.00pm. A party, estimated at 150, attacked B Company on the left, but was annihilated by withering fire from rifles and Lewis guns. The company commander, Lieut C.H.D.Champion - son of Rev A.H. Champion. formerly headmaster of The King's School, Parramatta - was fatally wounded during the action. Throughout the day he had fought bravely and well, and the quick and effective repelling of the enemy attacks was due in very great measure to his inspiring leadership, coolness and initiative'.

There is no specific information regarding the deaths of Dobbin and Rohan however they appear to have also fell in this action. The 3rd Battalion lost Lieut Champion and 43 men, 4 officers and 85 men wounded during this period in the line.

There is also a reference to Champion in the official history. A Queenslander, born in Tasmania, but working as a farmer at Jandowae. Wonder how he ended up in the 3rd Battalion?

http://www.awm.gov.au/histories/ww1/5/page.asp?gotopage=466

And his service papers:

http://naa12.naa.gov.au/scripts/imagine.asp?B=3229949&I=1

He was Mentioned in Despatches.

Rgds

Tim D

post-1563-1112075401.jpg

Hi Tim

Information from Yves about Champion.

637 Lieutenant Christopher Henry Duncan Champion was born on 15 September 1892 at Launceston, Tasmania. The son of the Reverend Arthur Hammerton and Mrs Mary Celia Champion, he completed his education at The King’s School, Parramatta, New South Wales. Chris Champion was a farmer at Bungendore, New South Wales at the time of his enlistment as a private soldier on 1 July 1915. He embarked with the 30th Battalion on the troopship Beltana on 9 Nov 1915 for training in Egypt. Chris was promoted to Second Lieutenant, transferred to the 3rd Battalion on 12 March 1916 and embarked for France, arriving in Marseilles on 28 March 1916. He was promoted to Lieutenant on 29 June that year. Lieutenant Champion was wounded at Pozieres on 16 August 1916, and evacuated to England, returning to his unit in December. He was mentioned in Sir Douglas Haig’s Despatch of 7th November 1917 for ‘distinguished and gallant service, devotion to duty and able leadership of his Company’ during the period 26 February 1917 to 30 September 1917.

Lieutenant Champion was commanding B Company, 3rd Battalion in the defence of Hazebroucke, defending the area between Strazeele and Merris when he was killed in action just after 7.00 p.m. on 14 April 1918. The 3rd Battalion history records that “Throughout the day he had fought bravely and well, and the quick and effective repelling of the enemy attacks was due in very great measure to his inspiring leadership, coolness and initiative”. Lieutenant Champion’s actions at Strazeele were mentioned in despatches on 18 April 1918.

Information about Corby.

"Corporal C.E.W. Corby

5665 Corporal Christopher Ernest (Ernie) William Corby was born on 11 September 1885 at Laggan, the second son of Reuben and Catherine (‘Kate’) Corby of Tuena, in New South Wales. A shearer by trade, he travelled to Sydney in December 1915, and visited the Sydney Town Hall Recruiting Depot on 30 December. He was enlisted on 17 January 1916 into the 18th Reinforcements, 3rd Battalion Australian Imperial Forces. Corporal Corby completed training in Australia and embarked on HMAT A55 Kyarra on 3 June 1916, disembarking at Plymouth on 3 August. On 16 September 1916 he proceeded to France, and was taken on strength to the 3rd Battalion in Belgium on 5 October 1916. Ernie Corby was promoted to Lance Corporal on 13 May 1917, and Corporal on 12 October that year. Two weeks later, on 27 October, Corporal Corby proceeded on leave to England, rejoining his unit on 10 November 1917.

In April 1918 the 1st Australian Division was hurriedly deployed to the defence of Hazebrouck. B Company, the 3rd Battalion defended the approaches between Merris and Strazeele. Corporal Ernest Corby was killed in action near ‘Gutzer’ farm shortly after 10.30 a.m. on the morning of 14 April 1918."

Andrew,

Many thanks for the burial information, I shall definitely try& be there.

Tim,

the biographical info is most interesting & to put a face to the name... thank you,

Bob

Many thanks for making the effort Bob...a bit far for some of us to go.

Don't know where the Jandowae reference came from Andrew. He is listed as enlisting in Jandowae on the Roll of Honour and residing there in the official history however his enlistment papers say Liverpool. Perhaps he went to back to Sydney to enlist?

Rgds

Tim

I very much hope to be able to attend the funeral, as I have never attended a named burial. Many thanks for the photo and the biographical information. These were brave men who now will rightly be with their peers.

It is very appropriate that they are being laid to final rest so close to where they fell and in a cemetery with long Australian connections. They will be with many friends and countrymen.

We will Remember Them.