Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Garrison Artillery (RGA) numbering, enlistment dates, new Heavy

kevinrowlinson

Many thanks for the clarification Kevin. I have the WD for 21 Bde RGA which covers the period around the Battle of Cambrai and mentions 354 SB. Will check up on the AOC records.

Michael

• 1 month later...

Hello, I have a have the medals of a gunner from the royal garrison artillery who lived in the village I grew up in. His name is gunner George Henry Blakley and his regimental number is 193394. I know a bit about him but on his medal card it does not give his specific battery or unit. I was wondering if anyone on this page could help find out his battery.

Thank you

• 2 years later...

Top thread and great work Kev.  I'd appreciate your assessment of my assessment!

I'm doing a little research into my wife's ww1 relatives and have identified:

178814 Gnr Percy Charles Mann RGA

BIRTH 1877 • FAVERSHAM Kent England

DEATH JAN-MAR 1936 • Brighton, Sussex, England

1911 Census shows him to be a Journeyman Butcher with wife Alma Maria (nee Small) at 22 Stanley Rd Eastbourne Sussex with birth town as Faversham.

No service record exists, cant find any med records to suggest he was discharged early but an RGA MIC and MIR entry exist for him.  

Your excellent records show No. 1 Depot moved to the Race Course, Derby on 24 May 1917 and that the RGA Service number range 177367-179468 were issued between 10 Aug 1917- 2 Feb 1918.

Looking at other records that have survived in this range, along with a few other more senior men (35ish) I think Percy could have enlisted any time between Dec 1915 and March 1916 but was mobilised and posted to Derby (with quite a few other senior recruits from the Kent area (and other areas of the UK) between 19-22 Nov 1917.

I can then only assume he was posted to an RGA unit on the western front (possibly a heavy or siege gun battery given that's what No1 depot delivered) before being demobbed mid 1919ish.

Any other thoughts appreciated.

Best wishes and Merry Christmas (2020) and Happy New Year (2021))!!

George

• 4 months later...

I have only just found this forum. What a brilliant source of information and what a lot of hard work has been done on research.  I gave up researching my grandfathers war record years ago when I discovered that his enlistment record was among those destroyed in WW2.  I recently found a document showing that he was in a casualty clearing station (34) in January to March 1917 with trench feet.  He was Gunner George HORTON 1395. 292904 137th Heavy Battery RGA.  From what I have seen on this forum the 137th was formed in Deptford and as granddad came from Bermondsey this makes sense.  His hospital record suggests that he joined in about September 1915.  I have read the war diaries for the 34th HAG but can find no reference to the 137th H Battery after 24/3/1917 when they were at DAIMVILLE WOOD.  Are you able to tell me where he would have reported for training ( He told me that he trained at Okehampton on Dartmoor) and what happened to 137th H Battery after March 1917 please. Thank you

Vossy

Welcome to the forum Vossy,

You found no mention because 137 Hvy Bty left 34 HAG on 17/3/17 coming under control of 21 HAG. Thereafter you require the war diaries for:

22/3/17 to 15 HAG (WO95/215/5 only partly covers period)

14/5/17 to 67 HAG (WO95/228/1)

4/7/17 to 15 HAG (WO95/215/2 only partly covers period)

6/10/17 to 2nd Canadian HAG (most Canadian WD’s are available on their own website)

30/10/17 to 42 HAG (WO95/223/10)

And finally to 51 HAG (later Brigade) on 19/12/17 till Armistice (WO95/473/3)

Rgds Paul

Thank you so much. You are brilliant.  My old Mum is amazed that I am finally getting some idea of where her Dad fought.  Like so many others he never spoke about it.  I only wish I had asked him directly when I had a chance. I'll keep reading the war diaries.  Have you any idea where he would have gone for his training when he enlisted?

Thank you again

Vossy

Vossy,

Without his service records I would not care to say precisely where he trained other than Deptford and Bordon, but for locally raised batteries local papers for the period are generally a good resource. I also note that the records of two gunners who enlisted immediately after 1395/ 292904 Horton survive and should give you firm attestation/ posted dates. Namely:

1398/ 292906 Norton

1396 Elliot

Rgds Paul

Paul

Thank you. I'll get those records and see what they say.  I have just finished reading the WD for 51st HAG which finish abruptly on 16th March 1919.  I admire my grandad even more than I did before.  I now know why he used to sit quietly, staring with tears in his eyes from time to time.  Have you any idea when they would have returned to the UK in 1919?  I know he married in August 1919 and he was a civilian by then.  Thank you again for your help and advice.

Vossy

• 3 weeks later...

Paul,

I have been through all the war diaries you mentioned. I am struggling with the diary for 42HAG.  The reference you gave was wo/95/223/10 but this refers to 323 Siege Battery RGA and there is no mention of 137th H Bty there. Have you any other suggestions please?  I found the Attestation papers for the two men who enlisted either side of my granddad and that was very helpful.

Thank you

Vossy

Vossy,

Certainly it was in that file within the 223 box when I copied it in situ way back in 2012. Must have been misplaced during the digitisation.

Anyhow only 3 pages cover the period that interests you and below are all the mentions of 137 Hvy Bty within:

29-31 October 1917. 42 HAG HQ Position Souchez V Corps First Army.

Took over Batteries as follows being employed as CB* Group

136 & 137 Hvy Btys

71, 99 & 102 Sge Btys.

13-30 Nov17. Position Aix Noulette

“…Group came under Canadian Corps being employed as CB group and for occasional trench work as well. Group constituted as follows on 30 November:

21, 31, 137 & 146 Hvy Btys and 62, 73, 99 & 204 Sge Btys.

1-19 December 1917. Position Aix Noulette.

The undermentioned batteries joined and left during this period.

Left 21 HB & 137 HB.

The Group was employed as CB Group & occasional trench work.

*CB = Counter Battery

Rgds Paul

• 2 months later...

Can you assist again please. I am researching Corporal Louis Henry AINGER MMg No 340102 RGA (TF )from Harwich, Essex.  He was in 166 Siege Battery.   Have you any idea when he may have enlisted.   I know the battery went to France on 12th September 1916 but I do not know where they were raised. I suspect it may have been Harwich.  I haven't had a chance to look for the war diaries yet I am just about to do that now. I have found the Gazette page for his MM together with the medal roll.

Thank you Vossy

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I'm looking for any picture of 2nd Lt.Bryan Stagg Walton  who served in Royal Garrison Artillery (Special Reserve) from 1916-1917 in WW1.

Are there any picture of him or group in the archives?.

I do have a group picture of him when he was in the college.Do you need this to do the comparison?.

Please let me know.

Best regards,
Winson Saw

• 10 months later...

Kevin I am stunned by the amount of work you've done. Congratulations. 

My grandmother's brother, Thomas Charles Pennell was GNR 40035 RGA. From your table he enlisted early and at Newhaven. Can we deduce anything about his Brigade from his service number? I'm keen, on behalf of his grandson, to follow his war through the diaries. 

According to his medal card after WW1 he was awarded the Waziristan clasp for service in India (now Pakistan oc).

Thanks

Mike Deadman 

• 9 months later...

Many thanks for all your work.

For a friend I am trying to find details of his grandfathers service in WW1.

Gnr Henry Bates 176436 born Ambergate Derbyshire 1892.

Medal roll gives him as 524 Siege Battery RGA.

I cant seem to find anything about this unit. Was it remained to or from something else.

Any help appreciated.

• Admin
26 minutes ago, Arthur Lacey said:

Many thanks for all your work.

For a friend I am trying to find details of his grandfathers service in WW1.

Gnr Henry Bates 176436 born Ambergate Derbyshire 1892.

Medal roll gives him as 524 Siege Battery RGA.

I cant seem to find anything about this unit. Was it remained to or from something else.

Any help appreciated.

Welcome to the forum

Please don't post duplicate questions.

Members can answer this question on this dedicated thread