Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

British felt hat(slouch) WW1.Help me find me a photo please

pukman

Wow!
How time flys and all the changes we’ve been through in the last 10 years.

I’d like to bump up this post from 10 years ago, if for no other reason than to reinforce the fact that “uniform regulations” were not strictly adhered to as some may think. Previously on this post, Pullman & I discussed the huge variation in Slouch hat/Lemon Squeezer manufacturing, manufacturers, materials, styles & personnel preferences. 
Around 8 years ago I picked up the example in the images below. As discussed above, both the Australian & New Zealand Boer war & WW1 Slouch hats & Lemon Squeezers are among the rarest & some of the most desirable items of historical militaria. This well worn combat used example rolls the two nations into one giving the ultimate definition to Australia New Zealand Army Corps or ANZAC. This felt hat was manufactured by the Australian milliner C Anderson & Co in 1915, as seen in the image of the interior sweet band. Originally a slouch hat, as noted by the hook fastener on the L/H side of the hat, it was subsequently acquired by a member of the (NZ) 5th Mounted Rifle Otago Hussars and would have been worn during his service in France, the only NZ mounted unit to do so. There is always the possibility that this hat (based on the manufacturing date) may have been acquired at Gallipoli prior to the Otago Hussars transfer to France in early 1916. Sadly, no name or service number has been found in the hat, so we’ll never know.

IMG_1474.jpeg

IMG_1475.jpeg

IMG_1476.jpeg

IMG_1477.jpeg

IMG_1478.jpeg

IMG_1481.jpeg

The late Joe Sweeney posted some interesting information in relation to British made AIF uniforms (including slouch hats) - https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/18221-uniforms/#comment-141701

The information provided states the Royal Army Clothing Department (RACD) approved a specific pattern of slouch hat for the AIF -

• Hat, Smasher, felt mixture, AIF 

approved with 8958/1916 during June 1916. This pattern was modified and replaced by pattern 9692/1917, 10 October 1917, which changed the material and colour. Change approved by AIF. Obsoleted in January 1920.

I believe this is the hat in the OP, I have seen quite a number of Brit made Aussie hats over the years and they tend to all have the same characteristics. This is not to say the OP hat wasn't used by NZ, just that I feel it started out as an Aussie hat that has been 'acquired' and repurposed, in the same way as your hat has obviously been Mike. Possible these hats were provided as a stop-gap, in the same way as Aussies being issued Brit uniforms on occasion, but this can't be known to be the case here.

Dan