Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The photograph was taken by Norman Taylor of the Day and Electric Studios, 74 Cowley Road, Oxford, hence my thinking that it was taken in Oxford.

Many thanks for the additional information and I look forward to seeing the names of the men in this photograph.

Rear (L - R)    Tpr E. H. Burbidge 1978, Tpr H. E. Kirk 1881, Tpr V. J. Pottow 2026, Tpr W. H. T. Bill Barry, Tpr R. A. Rawkins 2057, Tpr C. C. Cyril Martin 1777.

Middle (L - R) Tpr A Freddy Blane 1647 d/w 24-9-1915, Tpr E Luff  2257, Tpr C. Cyril Dyson 1842, Tpr S. V. Collard 2006, Tpr Green 0000, Tpr C. Waller 1749, Tpr H. D. Champion 1596 MiD k/a 21-8-1915 , Tpr J. W. Joe Tull 2035, Tpr W. J. Henness 1742.

Sitting (L - R) Tpr C. Harnack 1648, Lce-Corpl H.G. Langford 1684 , Sergeant J. Liddle 776, Second Lieutenant E. B. Butler-Henderson, Corporal A. E. Ted Illman 1787 (ex-C Sqn) k/a 21-8-15, Lce-Corpl H. G. Freeman 1683 (ex-C Sqn), Tpr W. S. Merts 931[1]

Front (L - R)   Trooper T. Luff 1741, Tpr E. J. Norcott 1972, Tptr J. C. E. Rodgers 1561 (w 21-8-15), Tpr Unknown (new recruit), Tpr WL Figaro 1836

Not shown       Tpr W.H. Greenough 1458, Sergt. H. Waller 1748

[1]  This number 931 is not his Berks Yeomanry one, but an R.E. one

Andy,

Mate I am unsure if I gave you these men before but they turned up but I can't confirm if they served in the Camel Corps or just served in Egypt/Palestine

Jackson    Albert W.    51421    Pte    Ex 1/1 Berkshire Yeo (2626) and Corps of Hussars    possibly ICC?
Clarke    Edward J.    51422    Pte    Ex 1/1 Berkshire Yeo (2983) and Corps of Hussars    possibly ICC?

They are with a group they arrived late to the ICC with a number of possible soldiers from mixed units that possibly served?

Here are just a few I found

Rank    Sydney    51417    A/Cpl    shown ICC possibly Tos Ex London Regt (5574) and Corps of Hussars    
Howell    Harry    51418    Pte    Ex East Lancashire Regt (9259) and Corps of Hussars    possibly ICC?
Heylock    George H.    51419    Pte    shown ICC possibly Tos 9Co? Ex County of London Yeo (1694) and Corps of Hussars (227112) AKA George H. Haylock    
Philpott    Frederick    51420    Pte    shown ICC possibly Tos 9Co? Ex 1/1 City of London Yeo (Rough Riders) (17319) and Corps of Hussars to Worcester Yeo (76409)    
Jackson    Albert W.    51421    Pte    Ex 1/1 Berkshire Yeo (2626) and Corps of Hussars    possibly ICC?
Clarke    Edward J.    51422    Pte    Ex 1/1 Berkshire Yeo (2983) and Corps of Hussars    possibly ICC?
Betts    Harry    51423    Pte    Ex 1/1 City of London Yeo (Rough Riders) (31193) and Corps of Hussars    possibly ICC?
Peter    Thomas R.    51424    Pte    shown ICC possibly Tos 9Co? Ex County of London Yeo (3025) and Corps of Hussars    
Price    Leonard W.    51425    Pte    Ex County of London Yeo (81565) and Corps of Hussars    possibly ICC?
Hall    Harry    51427    Pte    shown ICC possibly Tos Ex 1/1 Worcester Yeo (76408) and Corps of Hussars     
Harrison    Harold    51428    Pte    shown ICC possibly Tos Ex 1/1 Worcester Yeo (76407) and Corps of Hussars shown Kew records    
Johns     Leslie W    51429    Pte    shown ICC possibly Tos 9Co? Ex County of London Yeo (81539) and Devon Regt (2609) and Essex Yeo and Corps of Hussars    
Crippa    Alexander    51431    Pte    shown ICC possibly Tos 9Co? Ex 1/1 City of London Yeo (Rough Riders) (1875) and Corps of Hussars (327161)    

Cheers

S.B

Hi Steve

Many thanks for the ICC names, which I will add to my notes. At some point I will be visiting the IWM as I don't live too far away. They have some notebooks belonging to Capt. H.C. Blyde 1/1st Berks Yeomanry who for some time was attached to the ICC, presumably 8th Coy. When I get the details I will of course share the details with you

Regards

Andrew

Andrew,

Cheers Mate,

Bert Blyde details in the ICC are still not that firm, while I show him with 8th Company, I am unsure when he arrived or left

Blyde    Hubert Cave        2/Lt    shown Tos 8Co Ex Sgt ASqn 1/1 Berkshire Yeo prom 2/Lt 15-1-15 MC & MID - for his actions at Gallipoli 21-8-15 to Capt 101 MG Bn 11-5-18 two brothers (Louis and Wilfred 2/Lt Indian Army) Berkshire Yeo

While Inchbald (the other Lt from the Berks Yeo) is known from the records when he arrived and left Blyde is not. So his diary and any names he throws up would be interesting.

Cheers

S.B

On 27/10/2021 at 18:03, AndrewFrench said:

Rear (L - R)    Tpr E. H. Burbidge 1978, Tpr H. E. Kirk 1881, Tpr V. J. Pottow 2026, Tpr W. H. T. Bill Barry, Tpr R. A. Rawkins 2057, Tpr C. C. Cyril Martin 1777.

Middle (L - R) Tpr A Freddy Blane 1647 d/w 24-9-1915, Tpr E Luff  2257, Tpr C. Cyril Dyson 1842, Tpr S. V. Collard 2006, Tpr Green 0000, Tpr C. Waller 1749, Tpr H. D. Champion 1596 MiD k/a 21-8-1915 , Tpr J. W. Joe Tull 2035, Tpr W. J. Henness 1742.

Sitting (L - R) Tpr C. Harnack 1648, Lce-Corpl H.G. Langford 1684 , Sergeant J. Liddle 776, Second Lieutenant E. B. Butler-Henderson, Corporal A. E. Ted Illman 1787 (ex-C Sqn) k/a 21-8-15, Lce-Corpl H. G. Freeman 1683 (ex-C Sqn), Tpr W. S. Merts 931[1]

Front (L - R)   Trooper T. Luff 1741, Tpr E. J. Norcott 1972, Tptr J. C. E. Rodgers 1561 (w 21-8-15), Tpr Unknown (new recruit), Tpr WL Figaro 1836

Not shown       Tpr W.H. Greenough 1458, Sergt. H. Waller 1748

[1]  This number 931 is not his Berks Yeomanry one, but an R.E. one

Many thanks for the update.

Another unknown Berkshire Yeomanry Trooper.. On the back of one photograph he has given his name as Jack. The first mounted photograph was taken at King's Lynn. In the second mounted photograph he appears to have transferred to the IVth Hussars.

Berkshire 003.JPG

Berkshire 005.JPG

Berkshire 011.JPG

Berkshire 006.JPG

Berkshire 008.JPG

Many thanks - some nice pictures here. I think the top picture has the Kings Lynn Workhouse at the rear with the distinctive brickwork and casements. Winter 1915-1916.

Give me a few days to do some digging and I will get back to you. I will also trawl through our "Jacks"

Cheers

Andrew

• 2 weeks later...

Looking through some old newspapers online last night, I came across a letter from a Berks Yeomanry (Corporal Bob Wells of Brightwalton) written before the big battle. This has almost certainly has not been read by anyone for at least 100 years.

The writer survived the war but Sergeant Oakey a farmer of Avescot, had already died of wounds (on the 18th Sept) by the time the letter was published. Sergt Walter Oakey will certainly be one of the men I will be remembering during the 2-minute silence on Sunday.

Lake Michigan,

16/8/15.

Dear Everybody,—

We left Cairo three days ago dismounted and we are compressed, that is, the Berks, Bucks and Dorsets—into one strong regiment. Of course we left a considerable number behind to look after the horses, and whether we shall ever see them or the horses again is a matter of considerable doubt. We are expecting to land at Mudros to-morrow morning, and I am not sure when will be the next opportunity of writing to you.

We have had a most enjoyable trip, and have been fed like fighting cocks; probably we are being fatted up for the slaughter. Anyhow, I expect we shall have to starve for a few days when we get ashore to make up for it.

Our greatest trouble is how we are going to carry the tremendous packs on our backs, but the “gravel crushers” have done it before, and I suppose we shall manage it somehow, but I am quite certain a lot of mine will have to go west when we get on the march.

We have been inoculated again to-day, this time against cholera, so it is now quite certain that nothing but bullets can stop us now, and we are hoping shortly to be made bullet-proof.

The sea here is smooth as a mill-pond, and the boat is as steady as a rock, although it is only an old Canadian cattle-boat. I am afraid there is very little else to tell you except that the war is still on. I am not sure whether Mr. Censor will allow that or not.

Achi Baba, to our certain knowledge, has been taken every other day for the last six weeks, but I think we are holding It now.

Sergt. W. F. Oakey (D4) says when it does fall he hopes it will not fall on anyone. Probably they are waiting for the Berks. Oakey is most amusing ; he sees submarines everywhere, and takes upon himself the whole responsibility for the war because he did not shoot the Kaiser at Windsor when he was there.

I am afraid I cannot stop for more now as it is tea-time, and as our menu for tea is eggs (real English too), brawn and pickles, herrings, kippers and haddocks, butter, jam, and goodness knows what else, I must be early to avoid the crush as it may be a long time before we get another decent tea. We were awfully glad to leave stinking old Cairo and never want to see it again, or Egypt either.

716524617_OakeySgtWF1234(D4).jpg.f46495cad4ad83bb01c2b17b0ae2c67a.jpg

Sergt WF Oakey of Avescot

20/8/1915

Dear Everyone, —

We were three days on the boat, and landed ashore at dawn on the fourth day. We came ashore in lighters, and did it without a mishap at all, but as soon as we landed they got the range, and the next lot had a merry time, and so do we now for the matter of that.

We are on the side of a big hill, and water is our greatest trouble. Of course we have to go down to the landing stage to draw this, and to-day they had to come back and go down again as it was too warm. Although their shells are very poor and half of them do not explode, we are covered by warships, and when the Turks start shelling, our boys get the range and soon shut them up. But there is one gun they cannot discover yet, it is supposed to be on a railway somewhere and keeps moving about.

I am writing this in our dug-out. As soon as you halt it is necessary bury like a rabbit. We did this yesterday and within an hour they had discovered us and we had to shift and do it again. We are now higher up on the hill and they haven’t tumbled to it yet. Last night at sunset an aeroplane came to look at us. We were all ordered to lie in our dugouts, and the warships did a bit of practice on him, so he soon retired.

Of course food is very scarce, biscuits (the renowned army dog biscuits) and bully beef. Water, too, is very scarce.

Imagine Ciffy or Tommy Lewis and you have got us exactly from head to toe, the only difference is that they live above ground and we underneath.

There is a lull in the storm this afternoon, but it probably only the quiet before a big “bust-up.” If it was a trifle cooler in the day, and a little warmer at night, the weather would be very nice, but as it is the nights are rather cold, and yesterday we had the first storm of rain we have had since we left England.

I am afraid there is very little else to tell you. We are able to get a sea bathe when we can dodge the shells, but I have not been able to get a wash since we have been here. Our cooking arrangement are quite a work of art, two or three stones, bits of wood and an old tin, has to do for everything. Washing clothes, too, is out of the question, so we shall soon get to feel a bit uncomfortable.

In haste, from

BOB [Corporal G.F. Wells]

Berks and Oxon Advertiser - Friday 24 September 1915 p5c6

1835857884_WellsCplGF(D2)BWarpp191.jpg.003a0a0c5201440c6bf4f4329fec83e4.jpg